+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone posted "Enjoy the ride"

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Someone posted "Enjoy the ride"

Someone posted "Enjoy the ride" at the start of the season.

Without a squad who could compete at this level, that comment was questionable.

My love for CCFC will never diminish whatever league we are playing in, but ...

Relying on a squad that got us up with a few championship standard additions and Victor was never going to be satisfactory.

True, if relegated, we would not have players on massive wages to deal with, but now I really feel sorry for those wearing those coveted blue shirts.

They are trying hard enough but simply do not have the skills, composure or attacking threat necessary.

Even though Neil Warnock is a 'God' in many people's eyes, his failure to adapt tactically or be able to attract capable players is not making the ride "enjoyable".

The wage cap is beyond Warnock's control.

Re: Someone posted "Enjoy the ride"

What worries me if we do go down , although the squad is thought of as good to compete in the championship, we may lose a lot of these players, and we could well struggle .

Will Bamba , Morrison, Gunnerson , Arter Victor, Etheridge , Zohore, Reid , Murhpy stay.??

There is no doubt Warnock and the teams spirit has been admiral up to now , however nothing lasts , and spirit is fairly short lived, we now need a new platform , and I'm a bit lost on what that should look like , who should be involved, and who is best to lead and deliver it.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    What worries me if we do go down , although the squad is thought of as good to compete in the championship, we may lose a lot of these players, and we could well struggle .

Will Bamba , Morrison, Gunnerson , Arter Victor, Etheridge , Zohore, Reid , Murhpy stay.??

There is no doubt Warnock and the teams spirit has been admiral up to now , however nothing lasts , and spirit is fairly short lived, we now need a new platform , and I'm a bit lost on what that should look like , who should be involved, and who is best to lead and deliver it.
    Those highlighted will probably not be here.

With the parachute payment we may be able to raid our local rivals again.

Hopefully Sunderland and/or Pompey will not be promoted, otherwise it will be a tough division.

Enjoy the ride?

Enjoyable it most certainly is not at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Enjoy the ride?

Enjoyable it most certainly is not at the moment.
    However we have already had many memorabl moments this season, a lot more than if we had stayed down and were back to being mid table ( or worse as we’d lost our parachute payments) in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Those highlighted will probably not be here.

With the parachute payment we may be able to raid our local rivals again.

Hopefully Sunderland and/or Pompey will not be promoted, otherwise it will be a tough division.
    Think you are right about 3, although it depends on what offers Gunnar gets, but why would Etheridge leave ?

As for Sunderland and Pompey.. not worried about those 2 at all

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Think you are right about 3, although it depends on what offers Gunnar gets, but why would Etheridge leave ?

Will be fun to play Swansea and Bristol.

I remember a fair few people saying how they preferred the championship anyway.

Relying on a squad that got us up with a few championship standard additions and Victor was never going to be satisfactory.

True, if relegated, we would not have players on massive wages to deal with, but now I really feel sorry for those wearing those coveted blue shirts.

They are trying hard enough but simply do not have the skills, composure or attacking threat necessary.

Even though Neil Warnock is a 'God' in many people's eyes, his failure to adapt tactically or be able to attract capable players is not making the ride "enjoyable".

Firstly, we don't know that at this time. We have 5 winnable games left and winning 3/4 of those is likely to at least see this come down to the final weekend.

Secondly, the main issues with our squad have been obvious from the start and it wasn't really the pool of players we were buying from. We've had two games of Manga and Bamba at CB and they performed well together, but we've had almost 29 games of playing all of CB's at once and this has lead to Morrison's limitations being picked on more obviously, deficiency in the balance of our defence and limitations in attacking output and finally a situation where one of our better players gets injured and could be out for the rest of the season. Signing a RB at the start would not have broken the bank and even someone at standard of Cunningham would have improved our base and therefore our season. Likewise, signing proper cover for Gunnarson at the start could have done the same thing.

I do feel sorry for some of our players though. At times Murphy has been protected if he's had an off week the week before but at times he's had a good game and then is dropped without too much explanation so cannot get into a rhythm. I don't accept that we don't have the attacking skill necessary seeing as our lot have done (thus far) better than the champions league players Fulham have. At the end of December we're talking about Warnock being manager of the year so to come to this point so quickly suggests that it's one or two things that need to be tightened in several areas rather than everything being undone.

Still, if we do go down then we have learnt a lot of lessons ready to bounce back and from what the manager was saying one of those could be for the fans: a lot easier to play football if you have a crowd who recognise one poor performance/a run of poor performances does not end a season (see Christmas period last year, for example) and are willing to stay and be supportive throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Will be fun to play Swansea and Bristol.

I remember a fair few people saying how they preferred the championship anyway.
    Playing Swansea will be shit.

They hate us far more than we ever will them.

They’d be happy to go down as long as they beat us.

The trip will be a drag and the home game will be played with the worry of trouble bike breaking out and dragging our name down.

Bristol, Villa, Fulham, West Brom maybe Pompey will be good.. but then there will also a stack of long trips and uninspiring home games with 15000 crowds again

Not worried about going down and being a yo-yo club would be an improvement on the past, but I’d rather stay up and fight it out a few more seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

Etheridge will be a wanted man by an established PL club.

Some of his saves this season have been 'Banks'esque.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Firstly, we don't know that at this time. We have 5 winnable games left and winning 3/4 of those is likely to at least see this come down to the final weekend.

Secondly, the main issues with our squad have been obvious from the start and it wasn't really the pool of players we were buying from. We've had two games of Manga and Bamba at CB and they performed well together, but we've had almost 29 games of playing all of CB's at once and this has lead to Morrison's limitations being picked on more obviously, deficiency in the balance of our defence and limitations in attacking output and finally a situation where one of our better players gets injured and could be out for the rest of the season. Signing a RB at the start would not have broken the bank and even someone at standard of Cunningham would have improved our base and therefore our season. Likewise, signing proper cover for Gunnarson at the start could have done the same thing.

I do feel sorry for some of our players though. At times Murphy has been protected if he's had an off week the week before but at times he's had a good game and then is dropped without too much explanation so cannot get into a rhythm. I don't accept that we don't have the attacking skill necessary seeing as our lot have done (thus far) better than the champions league players Fulham have. At the end of December we're talking about Warnock being manager of the year so to come to this point so quickly suggests that it's one or two things that need to be tightened in several areas rather than everything being undone.

Still, if we do go down then we have learnt a lot of lessons ready to bounce back and from what the manager was saying one of those could be for the fans: a lot easier to play football if you have a crowd who recognise one poor performance/a run of poor performances does not end a season (see Christmas period last year, for example) and are willing to stay and be supportive throughout.
    I think that the crowd have been very supportive at home and away so far, but, Bournemouth apart, home performances since the Manchester United match have been awful judged by the standards we set for ourselves at Cardiff City Stadium up to shortly before Christmas. We've beaten Wolves and Leicester this season and, broadly speaking, they are sides that are of a similar standard to the Watford and Everton teams that walked all over us in our last two home matches - in such circumstances, even allowing for the awful events of January 21, I'm not surprised that some expressed their disappointment before and during the Everton game.

Etheridge will be a wanted man by an established PL club.

Some of his saves this season have been 'Banks'esque.
    We said the same about David Marshall last time we went down, yet he played a couple of seasons for us in the Championship before he left.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We said the same about David Marshall last time we went down, yet he played a couple of seasons for us in the Championship before he left.
    Nearly all Premiership clubs have got top keepers now who are superb shot stoppers and most have better footballing skills than Etheridge.

He’s been an excellent keeper for us, but I’ve not heard one fan of another Premiership club say they should be looking at him. ( Apart from as a cheap points earner for their fantasy teams 😂)

Nearly all top level keepers are capable of making brilliant point blank saves, he's been forced into making them, it's bt default that he is a contender for player of the season. Clubs above us wont be banking on a keeper having to make saves like that almost every game they play. They'll be looking ay his all round game like distribution, strength on crosses etc

Cardiff has a wage cap?

Etheridge must have a clause in his contract allowing him to go if the right offer came in.

New club who would probably be willing to double his wages.

Cardiff has a wage cap?

Etheridge must have a clause in his contract allowing him to go if the right offer came in.

New club who would probably be willing to double his wages.
    Yeah but who? Also, he's 29 now. Palace want Butland, probably the top 10 have established keepers and there's some good ones around. If Etheridge was 23 he'd be gone in a heartbeat but I'm not so sure. If he does go, best of luck to him. He really deserves it.

Re: Someone posted "Enjoy the ride

First thing to say is that you are not down yet. Huddersfield are and so are Fulham. It’s been a very poor week but Cardiff will keep fighting. What you lack in technical ability might be made up for in battling qualities.
    I thought the summer signings were decent but you needed a striker. That was sorted out in January but then that tragic air crash happened and it’s a huge blow to all concerned

A win changes everything. It’s not over yet.

Just one other thing. You should have made a better use of the loan market.

I think that the crowd have been very supportive at home and away so far, but, Bournemouth apart, home performances since the Manchester United match have been awful judged by the standards we set for ourselves at Cardiff City Stadium up to shortly before Christmas. We've beaten Wolves and Leicester this season and, broadly speaking, they are sides that are of a similar standard to the Watford and Everton teams that walked all over us in our last two home matches - in such circumstances, even allowing for the awful events of January 21, I'm not surprised that some expressed their disappointment before and during the Everton game.
    Crowd have been brilliant for most of the season but poor against Watford and poor against Everton. I get that both are midweek fixtures and therefore people have other concerns but it was a sizeable number who gave up early against Watford and crowd were miserable again the next game even during the first half. We need to be better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Yeah but who? Also, he's 29 now. Palace want Butland, probably the top 10 have established keepers and there's some good ones around. If Etheridge was 23 he'd be gone in a heartbeat but I'm not so sure. If he does go, best of luck to him. He really deserves it.
    Didn't realise he was 29, but that's young for a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Just one other thing. You should have made a better use of the loan market.
    Only 2 loans allowed from PL clubs. Arter and Niasse have been OK.

Had some of the Watford lads been given more incentive to sign at the start of the season then things may have been different.

I presume that there could have been more potential loans from abroad like Camarasa, but quality players would have already been snapped up by teams with that were more of an attraction to play for, not relegation scrappers.

Didn't realise he was 29, but that's young for a keeper.
    I don't think anyone will go for Etheridge he has been good this season but didn't stand out last season. I can't think of any team he would become clearly their number 1

what type of cool dude would post " enjoy the ride " i bet he is super handsome aswell

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    what type of cool dude would post " enjoy the ride " i bet he is super handsome aswell
    It’s not you as you wanted us to spend 200 million to make sure we stayed up

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    It’s not you as you wanted us to spend 200 million to make sure we stayed up
    indeed i did, but i also said " why worry about the debt, its not our money, we are in the hole for so much it makes very little difference, lets enjoy the ride "

i did search for it, but its gone, i guess deleted as the thread descended into a argument

for the record, Baloo posted a thread with the title " enjoy the ride " in Oct so i guess the OP is referring to that