+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11 wins. Apparently no team has ever been relegated with 11 wins

11 wins. Apparently no team has ever been relegated with 11 wins

We have 7.

That means we have to win 4 of our last 9. Even if we do that then that only takes us to 37 and you would expect southampton to match that.

However history shows 11 wins is always enough.

I think thats exactly what we need to have a chance.

Yes we have 4 of the top 6 to play- and we have zero points v the top 6 so far. But we also have 4 of the bottom 8 to play. Margin for error is tiny now but its still doable.

Re: 11 wins. Apparently no team has ever been relegated with 11 wins

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    We have 7.

That means we have to win 4 of our last 9. Even if we do that then that only takes us to 37 and you would expect southampton to match that.

Yes we have 4 of the top 6 to play- and we have zero points v the top 6 so far. But we also have 4 of the bottom 8 to play. Margin for error is tiny now but its still doable.
    We technically could go down with 11 wins simply because of the low number of draws. If we could get to 37 points, I can't say with confidence that would keep us up, especially with our goal difference being so poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We technically could go down with 11 wins simply because of the low number of draws. If we could get to 37 points, I can't say with confidence that would keep us up, especially with our goal difference being so poor.
    Yes we could. However we would be making history and setting records if we did.

Stats, stats, stats. We need to have more points than Southampton. Simples.

We have 7.

It's the hope what kills you

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Stats, stats, stats. We need to have more points than Southampton. Simples.
    Don't forget Burnley. It's unlikely but there's still a chance that they don't win another game before facing us at home and then that match is a huge fixture.

Judging by Southampton’s performance yesterday, they should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Judging by our performance yesterday, Southampton should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Don't forget Burnley. It's unlikely but there's still a chance that they don't win another game before facing us at home and then that match is a huge fixture.
    We need 6 points to overtake Burnley and then more to match the points they will gain. Highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    We need 6 points to overtake Burnley and then more to match the points they will gain. Highly unlikely.
    Looking at it another way- if we win there we just need one weekend when we get a result and they dont- and we have overtaken them.

Then just need to match them.....

Looking at it another way- if we win there we just need one weekend when we get a result and they dont- and we have overtaken them.

Then just need to match them.....
    You seem pretty confident, why not bet your house on it? You'd never have to work again

What happens if we lose all our remaining game's.

Burnley could be our best chance, but we have to beat them.

Burnley (30 pts)

Crystal Palace H .. (LOST 3-1)
    Liverpool A
    Leicester H
    Wolverhampton Wanderers H
    Bournemouth A
    Cardiff H
    Chelsea A
    Manchester City H
    Everton A
    Arsenal H

Cardiff (25 pts)

Wolverhampton Wanderers A .. (LOST 2-0)
    West Ham H
    Brighton A
    Chelsea H
    Manchester City A
    Burnley A
    Liverpool H
    Fulham A
    Crystal Palace H
    Manchester United A

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Judging by Southampton’s performance against us the other week perhaps they won’t be fine, Take each game on its merit.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Judging by Southampton’s performance against us the other week perhaps they won’t be fine, Take each game on its merit.
    Judging by the previous 29 games this season its going to be quite tight but we will fall just short.

Also judging by this being the 2nd full season Southampton have spent being in a relegation fight and we (and remember how shit we are) beat them twice in the past few months- they ain't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Burnley could be our best chance, but we have to beat them.

Burnley (30 pts)

Crystal Palace H .. (LOST 3-1)
    Liverpool A
    Leicester H
    Wolverhampton Wanderers H
    Bournemouth A
    Cardiff H
    Chelsea A
    Manchester City H
    Everton A
    Arsenal H

Cardiff (25 pts)

Wolverhampton Wanderers A .. (LOST 2-0)
    West Ham H
    Brighton A
    Chelsea H
    Manchester City A
    Burnley A
    Liverpool H
    Fulham A
    Crystal Palace H
    Manchester United A
    Looking at Burnley’s fixtures they could lose all of them but I just haven’t seen enough from us to suggest we can pick up enough points

Burnley have been really good over the last two months. If they pick up a win before they play us they are out of reach unless we win 2 of the 4 games. Let's be real, Soton and Brighton are the two we should focus on

4 more wins ? Evidence of the last three games , we’d be lucky to get another point ,
    I agree with gabbidon , something is not right off the pitch within the squad

I was at the game yesterday and after the two quick goals especially after Bamba mistake (I’ve never heard us so quiet given that we sold out )we just resigned ourselves that we weren’t gonna get back in the game

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    4 more wins ? Evidence of the last three games , we’d be lucky to get another point ,
    I agree with gabbidon , something is not right off the pitch within the squad

I was at the game yesterday and after the two quick goals especially after Bamba mistake (I’ve never heard us so quiet given that we sold out )we just resigned ourselves that we weren’t gonna get back in the game
    I think the Sala tragedy has taken a toll on the whole club. The manager has been badly affected.
    Hardly surprising that the team has been so poor.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I think the Sala tragedy has taken a toll on the whole club. The manager has been badly affected. Hardly surprising that the team has been so poor.
    It's inevitable that this line will be trotted out by some on a regular basis, but personally I don't think it has any merit at all.

In the weeks before Sala was due to join the squad, City were abysmal. After being outclassed by Spurs, they were beaten by Gillingham in the FA Cup, they were awful at home against Huddersfield and they were absolutely terrible away at Newcastle.

If anything, the Sala tragedy seemed to galvanise to players for a short while, although I do think the win at Southampton has been over-hyped a little. I was there and that victory was more than a little fortunate - the Bluebirds were poor for most of that game too.

Since then, City have looked relegation certainties, just as they did before the Sala incident. How the side would have fared with him in it is impossible to know, but I don't believe it's in any way valid to equate the team's recent performances to the Sala situation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It's inevitable that this line will be trotted out by some on a regular basis, but personally I don't think it has any merit at all.

In the weeks before Sala was due to join the squad, City were abysmal. After being outclassed by Spurs, they were beaten by Gillingham in the FA Cup, they were awful at home against Huddersfield and they were absolutely terrible away at Newcastle.

If anything, the Sala tragedy seemed to galvanise to players for a short while, although I do think the win at Southampton has been over-hyped a little. I was there and that victory was more than a little fortunate - the Bluebirds were poor for most of that game too.

Since then, City have looked relegation certainties, just as they did before the Sala incident. How the side would have fared with him in it is impossible to know, but I don't believe it's in any way valid to equate the team's recent performances to the Sala situation.
    I shouldn't do it but I agree

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I shouldn't do it but I agree
    So do I.

I guess it's difficult to argue with that analysis, I had hoped the improved form we showed would carry on, clearly it has not.

What do you think has contributed to the downturn if form since Spurs home?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    What do you think has contributed to the downturn if form since Spurs home?
    I'm not entirely sure that there has been a downturn of form as such. I just don't think this squad's good enough at this level over the course of a season.

In December, City were comfortably beaten by mid-table West Ham and outclassed by Watford and Manchester United. They managed to scrape a fortunate victory against a struggling Southampton side whose new manager had only been in charge for a couple of days and who gifted City the winning goal with a defensive howler, and the Bluebirds somehow emerged with a point at Palace when 3-0 or 4-0 to the home side would have been a fair result. That was an amazing game. The win at Leicester was certainly a good one but came courtesy of an injury time worldie from Camarasa after the home side had missed a penalty.

City were pretty much hopeless throughout January, but they got the breaks at the right time against a Bournemouth side that had put in a huge effort against Chelsea a few days beforehand and were missing a couple of their most influential players, and also against Southampton despite playing pretty poorly for most of that match.

The Watford, Everton and Wolves defeats have maybe been a bit heavier than expected, but most people would have had those down as defeats anyway.

In my opinion, City have definitely overachieved so far this season. They usually have tremendous spirit and they are generally tough for most opponents to play against, but the lack of genuine quality was always going to make things extremely difficult in the long run. The fact that Warnock's men are only two points adrift at present is a testament to their character and they may even save themselves yet, but it's going to be a huge struggle with a squad that, if we're being honest about it, consists almost entirely of Championship-level players.

I'm not entirely sure that there has been a downturn of form as such. I just don't think this squad's good enough at this level over the course of a season.

In December, City were comfortably beaten by mid-table West Ham and outclassed by Watford and Manchester United. They managed to scrape a fortunate victory against a struggling Southampton side whose new manager had only been in charge for a couple of days and who gifted City the winning goal with a defensive howler, and the Bluebirds somehow emerged with a point at Palace when 3-0 or 4-0 to the home side would have been a fair result. That was an amazing game. The win at Leicester was certainly a good one but came courtesy of an injury time worldie from Camarasa after the home side had missed a penalty.

City were pretty much hopeless throughout January, but they got the breaks at the right time against a Bournemouth side that had put in a huge effort against Chelsea a few days beforehand and were missing a couple of their most influential players, and also against Southampton despite playing pretty poorly for most of that match.

The Watford, Everton and Wolves defeats have maybe been a bit heavier than expected, but most people would have had those down as defeats anyway.

In my opinion, City have definitely overachieved so far this season. They usually have tremendous spirit and they are generally tough for most opponents to play against, but the lack of genuine quality was always going to make things extremely difficult in the long run. The fact that Warnock's men are only two points adrift at present is a testament to their character and they may even save themselves yet, but it's going to be a huge struggle with a squad that, if we're being honest about it, consists almost entirely of Championship-level players.
    Most of that I agree with. However, I can't agree that we were comfortably beaten by West Ham. We missed a penalty in the first half as well as a number of other good chances. We could easily have been a couple of goals up at half time, same with the trip to Arsenal. Both games were, in some way, the reversal of the games against Palace and Leicester, where we were the side that rode its luck.