+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The egg

Re: The egg

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Why a region in North Wales? I thought the WRU wanted crowds
    Well, they were hardly getting crowds in South Wales. They're embarrassingly low.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Why a region in North Wales? I thought the WRU wanted crowds
    The Ospreys are broke and their backers want out.

Merging may be a better option than them folding.

Parc Eirias holds 6000 and I believe reaches capacity for u20 internationals and has seen a number of sell out concerts. I suspect they believe there is the fan base there.

Plus it follows the original blueprint for the regional plan from 2003. (excluding the CW)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Well, they were hardly getting crowds in South Wales. They're embarrassingly low.
    latest average home attendance figures for this season : Blues 6193, Dragons 5000, Ospreys 6915, Scarlets 8440. Considering these clubs probably play around 15 home games a season and anything from 25% to 50% are made up of complimentary tickets, they're really bringing in very little 'through the turnstiles' by modern day standards. Compared to the Irish regions who regularly get 20k plus - even the occasional 50k - it's really poor...

Despite the national team delivering three Grand Slams since its inception in 2003, regional rugby hasn't worked, on- or off-the-field. The only true region is the Ospreys, with the other three being Cardiff, Newport and Llanelli with new badges. If one region should go, it must surely be the Dragons. Despite District A having the largest number of clubs in Wales, the Dragons have been a shambles for years. It's a proud rugby area but the region is too lopsided.

Most seasons in Europe range from a letdown to a disaster for the regions, give or take the two Blues' Challenge Cup wins. Although the Scarlets and Ospreys have delivered six Celtic League titles between them, it's in Europe where the big boys come out to play.

The Irish provinces are based on longstanding boundaries, so work naturally. It's not like that in Wales, especially in south Wales. Take towns like Bridgend as an example, that started off as a "Valleys" region with Pontypridd to the east, then were shunted west to be a part of the Neath/Swansea area.

As well as City, I also have a season ticket at Bargoed RFC (two relegations in one season, anyone?). Historically Bargoed was part of Glamorgan, then Mid Glamorgan. Although it was and is very much a valleys town, it has always had more of a natural association with Cardiff than Newport. Yet in their wisdom, the WRU decided that the Rhymney Valley would come under Gwent and form part of the Dragons region. If the majority of people from the likes of Ebbw Vale and Pontypool don't get behind a team based in Newport, those living in Bargoed, Nelson, Ystrad Mynach (aka Penallta) and Caerphilly never will.

I'm not surprised average attendances are so low.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Crowds in any sport depends on success? We will lose 15000 supporters if we get relegated and although Cardiff and Swansea get bigger gate than their Rugby teams, the Dragons get bigger gates than Newport County and the Scarlets get bigger gates than Wrexham? Also there are other 200+ Rugby clubs in Wales that get bigger crowds than their Towns/Village Football teams, eg Bridgend,Pontypridd,Pontypool,Ebbw Vale,Neath etc so it depends on success whether Football or Rugby wins? Rember Cardiff City in Lower Leagues with crowds less than 5000?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    latest average home attendance figures for this season : Blues 6193, Dragons 5000, Ospreys 6915, Scarlets 8440. Considering these clubs probably play around 15 home games a season and anything from 25% to 50% are made up of complimentary tickets, they're really bringing in very little 'through the turnstiles' by modern day standards. Compared to the Irish regions who regularly get 20k plus - even the occasional 50k - it's really poor...
    Aren’t those crowds pretty normal for them in the last 30 years? Back in the 50’s/60’s I think games between Cardiff and Newport could get 30,000 but not sure it was the norm and I can’t see it ever being like that again really, so why bother merging?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm not a rugby fan either, football is definitely bigger in the cities, but in the smaller towns it seems different to me.
    It's hardly surprising that football has been making inroads given the marketing behemoth of the premier League, it is probably still the case that watching Liverpool or man u on sky is the most popular form of sport in South Wales.
    Not in my experience. My job takes me all around South Wales on the weekends and I see far more people playing football than rugby throughout every area.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Not in my experience. My job takes me all around South Wales on the weekends and I see far more people playing football than rugby throughout every area.
    Depends what day you go.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Yes, there's no doubt that football is played by more people than rugby. Player registrations back that up. Always have, even though you need more rugby players per match than football.

Scarlets have thrown a spanner in the works with their statement. Maybe the WRU aren't the bad guy after all and the north region was an idea borne out of contractual necessity.

Ospreys approached Cardiff and Scarlets twice apparently for a merger

Its all off calm down lads

Maybe there could be a bucket collection at the West Ham game

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    Maybe there could be a bucket collection at the West Ham game
    Ya, good idea, we can fill it with bubbles