Ospreys Scarletts merging
    Region for North Wales
    Who would have thought it.

Re: The egg

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Ospreys Scarletts merging
    Region for North Wales
    Who would have thought it.
    Doesn’t surprise me, they screwed up regional rugby when they brought it in. it was at the expense of clubs that has been going for years. I stopped following rugby after the demise of the Celtic Warriors. Premiership clubs are in a financial mess, Pontypridd, for example, are trying to crowdfund £100,000 to keep going. But it’s ok, cos Wayals are winning.

I can’t see scarlets fans accepting this if anything it should be the blues and dragons who should merge

Scarlets and Ospreys merger? They could call the new region the Redbirds

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I can’t see scarlets fans accepting this if anything it should be the blues and dragons who should merge
    Either way, you’ll get fans who won’t buy into a merger. The warriors were the only region that properly tried to merge, took the names out and started new, but even then fans wouldn’t travel to the other club’s ground. Look what happened when the blues moved to the ccs, attendances plummeted.

Gwent Dragons.whatever happened to them ?

They should go back to the way it was. Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, Pontypridd, Pontypool etc. We feel affiliation to our cities. Who feels affiliation to made up regions.

They should have gone North South East and West when they first went regional. Worst thing they did was give in to Pontypridd etc.

Ospreys are the ones on the shakiest ground so it makes sense to bin them.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    They should go back to the way it was. Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, Pontypridd, Pontypool etc. We feel affiliation to our cities. Who feels affiliation to made up regions.
    That won't work. Ponty are on the verge of collapsing, Neath already gone.

WRU already own the Dragons, soon to own the region up North. Nearly at their end game of an Irish style model of ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    They should have gone North South East and West when they first went regional. Worst thing they did was give in to Pontypridd etc.

Ospreys are the ones on the shakiest ground so it makes sense to bin them.
    I don’t know why they didn’t follow the Southern Hemisphere model, it works really well.

The two most successful regions? Don't the WRU own the Dragons, and the Blues go from talking about a sliding pitch to selling up to having to drastically cut the budget. I get wanting to expand into the north but either rip up the links to old club sides and have South East, South West and North regions or merge the Blues and Dragons.

Or is this my biased football head saying that Newport County and Wales' Women may want a bit less egg on their pitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    I don’t know why they didn’t follow the Southern Hemisphere model, it works really well.
    Yep, send ‘em all down there👍😂

Exactly.

I'd love to see a mid district team that people could buy into as a progression onto the Blues.

Either way, you’ll get fans who won’t buy into a merger. The warriors were the only region that properly tried to merge, took the names out and started new, but even then fans wouldn’t travel to the other club’s ground. Look what happened when the blues moved to the ccs, attendances plummeted.
    I don’t get it, why do they keep merging? Surely, Llanelli and Neath are rivals? Where would they play? Why don’t they just go back to normal clubs in the places they are....weird.

What's that ?

As an outsider looking in it seems as though it’s been buggered about with so much that a fan’s identity with a side has been eroded. How can you automatically start supporting a manufactured club? Seems impossible in my eyes.

Why dont they all :
    merge onto one team
    play 6 times a year ,
    get a load of ladies in with daffodil hats to scream and wave .
    set off fireworks,
    pipe in music for false special atmosphere.
    sell drinks in wibbly wobbly plastic glasses for a fiver .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Why dont they all :
    merge onto one team
    play 6 times a year ,
    get a load of ladies in with daffodil hats to scream and wave .
    set off fireworks,
    pipe in music for false special atmosphere.
    sell drinks in wibbly wobbly plastic glasses for a fiver .
    Never catch on 🤪

The Osplets? Or the Scarspreys?

Training in Swansea and playing in Llanelli apparently. Makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The Osplets? Or the Scarspreys?

Training in Swansea and playing in Llanelli apparently. Makes no sense.
    What about ‘Down the Swanii’?

I just don’t understand this north team they’re rugby league through and through up there. The super rugby league formerly super 14 is amazing any of the teams from the pro 12 or pro 14 or whatever it’s called these days would get stuffed by these teams, I’m surprised they haven’t ditched the the European cup and looked to have a competition involving the northern and Southern Hemisphere

I just don’t understand this north team they’re rugby league through and through up there. The super rugby league formerly super 14 is amazing any of the teams from the pro 12 or pro 14 or whatever it’s called these days would get stuffed by these teams, I’m surprised they haven’t ditched the the European cup and looked to have a competition involving the northern and Southern Hemisphere
    I think you hit the nail on the head ( Rugby League talent ,untapped vain )

I'm sure there's a few more George North's up North (forgive the pun) waiting to be discovered , not all make it into the top rugby league clubs.

George North would have to change his name for a starter....

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    The two most successful regions? Don't the WRU own the Dragons, and the Blues go from talking about a sliding pitch to selling up to having to drastically cut the budget. I get wanting to expand into the north but either rip up the links to old club sides and have South East, South West and North regions or merge the Blues and Dragons.

Or is this my biased football head saying that Newport County and Wales' Women may want a bit less egg on their pitch?

...Wales Women?...they could play on Roath Park Rec