19 29.69%
  • No

45 70.31%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will we stay up?

Will we stay up?

?

Re: Will we stay up?

I'm not very confident tbh there's still a chance but after the last 3 games I just can't see it

No

I always look on the bright side and my glass is always half full, but in this instance we haven't taken the opportunity we created just a few short weeks ago. Our performance in the two transfer windows also showed the current administrative set-up needs improving from top to bottom.

So it's a third thumbs down from me sad to say.

Does the Pope sh*t in the woods?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Does the Pope sh*t in the woods?
    Dont know. Does he?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    Dont know. Does he?
    Ask a Catholic bear...

Beat West Ham and we might do, lose and we are gone. Saints have tough games we need to capitalise.

LFW

Interesting that about 75% of us think we will go down, and that's almost exactly the percentage chance this website gives us based on xG and another weird metric (that Im not a big fan of)

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...remier-league/

Rolling back the predictions you can see how damaging the last 3 games have been to us

Predicted goals 0.003
    Therefore not a cat in hells chance
    But hey ho

Not for me.

Put bluntly we don't create enough, don't score enough (in large part due to the former), don't keep the ball in a league where you will be punished by all but the very worst teams and our one time reliable defence is anything but.

I think the sides around us will get roughly the same as us against the lesser sides and nick a point or two against some of the bigger sides. Taking on the bigger sides, competing and coming close to achieving a result against them seems well above what we're capable of but our attitude leaves a lot to be desired going into these games too.

If the team can return to playing as they did against Arsenal, Bournemouth and Southampton immediately, and maintain that level of performance, then there is still a chance.

Otherwise, no :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    I always look on the bright side and my glass is always half full, but in this instance we haven't taken the opportunity we created just a few short weeks ago. Our performance in the two transfer windows also showed the current administrative set-up needs improving from top to bottom.

So it's a third thumbs down from me sad to say.
    My thoughts too ^^

Opportunities not taken on and off the pitch. Overambition can be harmful but so can being too tentative or cautious. It’s not easy and it almost worked, but the right balance hasn’t quite been struck.

Management has asked a bit too much of the squad IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Interesting that about 75% of us think we will go down, and that's almost exactly the percentage chance this website gives us based on xG and another weird metric (that Im not a big fan of)

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...remier-league/

Rolling back the predictions you can see how damaging the last 3 games have been to us
    Watford/Everton were huge....season defining . The performances , for whatever reasons, didn’t correspond to the importance of the fixtures.

If those games were play-off semis and then a final played at Wembley (which essentially they were) there is no chance the performances would have been so lame. Maybe not wins but much closer affairs. We needed to be horrible and intense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    If the team can return to playing as they did against Arsenal, Bournemouth and Southampton immediately, and maintain that level of performance, then there is still a chance.

Otherwise, no :-(
    100% this. We have to get at least 3 wins from West Ham, Fulham, Burnley, Brighton & Palace.

Doable but only if we return to the level of performance you've mentioned above

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Watford/Everton were huge....season defining . The performances , for whatever reasons, didn’t correspond to the importance of the fixtures.

If those games were play-off semis and then a final played at Wembley (which essentially they were) there is no chance the performances would have been so lame. Maybe not wins but much closer affairs. We needed to be horrible and intense.
    We've lacked that edge for much of this season

Fulham and Huddersfield are as good as down already. So I think there are three teams trying to avoid that last relegation spot. I believe that the last spot will go to Brighton while Southampton and City will just scrape enough points to stay up but it will be close.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post

no chance

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    100% this. We have to get at least 3 wins from West Ham, Fulham, Burnley, Brighton & Palace.

Doable but only if we return to the level of performance you've mentioned above
    The other hope that I cling to is that we still have to play Fulham, Burnley and Brighton which are games that we will have to go into looking to win, as much to help our own cause as to damage the oppositions'.

We know that it can be done if you think back to Leicester and Southampton away, both of which were fantastic wins.

But an immediate return to that sort of form is essential, otherwise, we are doomed, I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    The other hope that I cling to is that we still have to play Fulham, Burnley and Brighton which are games that we will have to go into looking to win, as much to help our own cause as to damage the oppositions'.

We know that it can be done if you think back to Leicester and Southampton away, both of which were fantastic wins.

But an immediate return to that sort of form is essential, otherwise, we are doomed, I suspect.
    I am counting on the fact that our form is pretty erratic and we are due an upswing. Add to that the cliche relegation 6-pointers, and we are still very much in this. Sort of.

Although god only knows what the summer has in store for us if we do stay up. You have to assume Warnock will (quite rightly) treat it as his greatest achievement and would be a perfect time for him to retire... and I question how many of our players would be part of any other manager's vision of a premier league team!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I am counting on the fact that our form is pretty erratic and we are due an upswing. Add to that the cliche relegation 6-pointers, and we are still very much in this. Sort of.

Although god only knows what the summer has in store for us if we do stay up. You have to assume Warnock will (quite rightly) treat it as his greatest achievement and would be a perfect time for him to retire... and I question how many of our players would be part of any other manager's vision of a premier league team!
    One step at a time!

In my lifetime we have been in the top league 3 times and have not managed to stay up for more than 1 season. This time is no different.

It's 1940
    Churchill says
    will we win the war.
    42 say no
    18 say yes.
    Send the forty a white feather each