+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Things The Younger Generation May Never Experience

Things The Younger Generation May Never Experience

I’ll kick off with pub experiences: ‘Last orders gents’ shouted by the landlord at about ten to three in the afternoon, ‘Any chance of a stop on’ quietly answered back, no chance, ‘C’mon let’s jump in the car???? and get down the Docks. The pub phone going off and grown men visibly shrinking, frantic hand signals being made to whoever answers it, lies being told by the answerer, ‘He’s just left or haven’t seen him today love’. Pranksters phoning the pub and asking if Mike Hunt is in the bar, funny if a novice barmaid has answered the phone and she’s shouting out ‘Is Mike Hunt here’. Easy pleased I know but I did love the old Cardiff pub culture, all gone now😢

Re: Things The Younger Generation May Never Experience

Great Post. Its hard to believe the pubs used to shut at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon then reopen at 7pm only to shut again at 10.30. My lasting memory are the 7 inch singles on the carousel in the jukebox, oops showing my age.

Spangle sweets and playing football on a ash pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    Spangle sweets and playing football on a ash pitch.
    Treets

Melt in your mouth not melt in your hand

Jumping off buses before they got to stop, what a stupid thing to do. Learnt my lesson though when jumping off the last number 16 bus to Ely and ending up face down in the gutter, perhaps carling was stronger back then.

Dialling 01 811 8055 on a Saturday morning

Isolation is another thing, not being kept up to the minute with everyone & everything. Something happens now, no matter how trivial, and your missus phones you or one of your mates phones you. Years ago you’d only find out gossip more or less on a week to week basis.

playing baseball in the summer months

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    Jumping off buses before they got to stop, what a stupid thing to do. Learnt my lesson though when jumping off the last number 16 bus to Ely and ending up face down in the gutter, perhaps carling was stronger back then.
    What about the two sets of stairs on the trolleys? Dodging up the front ones, then the back ones to avoid the conductor. Then shitting yourself if an inspector got on with a shout of ‘tickets please’.............and as for S.Tapper Jones, he more or less ruled the roost, Spitting Prohibited indeed 😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’ll kick off with pub experiences: ‘Last orders gents’ shouted by the landlord at about ten to three in the afternoon, ‘Any chance of a stop on’ quietly answered back, no chance, ‘C’mon let’s jump in the car???? and get down the Docks. The pub phone going off and grown men visibly shrinking, frantic hand signals being made to whoever answers it, lies being told by the answerer, ‘He’s just left or haven’t seen him today love’. Pranksters phoning the pub and asking if Mike Hunt is in the bar, funny if a novice barmaid has answered the phone and she’s shouting out ‘Is Mike Hunt here’. Easy pleased I know but I did love the old Cardiff pub culture, all gone now😢
    Spitoons. Sawdust on the floor. Asking if women are allowed in the bar. A choice of mild, bitter or Makesons (sp?) out of a bottle. Then someone invented Babycham.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    playing baseball in the summer months
    The big decision whether you had enough runs to declare in night games😱😱

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    It was the 25 for me...old route that is.

Just after I left school I was working in a Factory and we all finished at 5.30 factory operators and Office Staff used to finish at the same time. and there used to be a dozen or so double decker Bus's lined up behind each other. Well there was a girl I fancied at the Bus stop and she was getting on the bus as I was crossing the Rd.In those days the double Deckers had a platform at the back with a pole similar to a lap dancing pole, As the bus gained speed I grabbed hold of the pole but my feet couldnt keep up and I skidded down the Rd on all 4s. and knocked myself clean out.Never did ask her out.

What about the two sets of stairs on the trolleys? Dodging up the front ones, then the back ones to avoid the conductor. Then shitting yourself if an inspector got on with a shout of ‘tickets please’.............and as for S.Tapper Jones, he more or less ruled the roost, Spitting Prohibited indeed 😂😂😂
    Didn't the trolleys end in about '47?

The Sarsaparilla Bar in Morgan Arcade, usually after Guildford or Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Didn't the trolleys end in about '47?
    Last tram was about 1950, trolleys went on into the 70s.

The big decision whether you had enough runs to declare in night games����
    remember playing one night game against bridgend street in the cup early 80;s over splott park which finished at 9.50pm !

Last tram was about 1950, trolleys went on into the 70s.
    Just checked, January 1970 apparently

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    remember playing one night game against bridgend street in the cup early 80;s over splott park which finished at 9.50pm !
    Who’d you play for Moz?

was then the county division and for Llandaff .

had a good few years there and a great memory for me was winning the silver bowl cup against bridgend street must have been around 1986 or 87 over roath park on a hot summers day in front of a big crowd . was part of 3 men standing in the second innings putting on about 50 runs to win the game . great memories

Going for a cuppa in Asteys whilst waiting for your connecting bus.

Just checked, January 1970 apparently
    Yeah can deffo remember the trolley buses in the 60s when the poles used to come off the wires and it was up to the conductor to put them back on. Simpler times.

Running from the Good Companions (Llanrumney) to the Fox & Hounds for a couple of pints,different licensing hours in the day.

Cardiff City in the Premier League

Dial-a-disc, party lines (not those 0800 types of phone lines but the ones that you shared with your neighbour)

I mentioned both of these recently in work and lots of (young) people didn’t believe me so I had to explain how great the good old days were......🙈