+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stay with us Neil, even if we go down

Re: Stay with us Neil, even if we go down

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Yeah you're the only person who appreciates Neil on here
    Have you actually read any of the other posts on this thread ? Why dont you troll them instead you silly little man.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Look, we arent Man Utd or Arsenal. We have to play a system that suits the players we have and gradually build the squad over a period of time and within our budget. We got promotion last season, playing most games with two wingers, so hardly negative. If you want a good example of how not to do it look at Fulham. Lauded for their footballing skills, spent over £120m this season, three managers this season as well, playing like a bunch of strangers and where are they in the table ?
    Really dont think budgets are the final say in how you play. And if you breed work horses, that is what you get. Short term and long term..

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    No one would deny what Warnock has done for the club, I think he should have a statue outside the ground but just think it's best for the club to start looking at the longer term plan for the club
    Thats fine. You are entitled to your opinion. At least you dont insult him all the time. I dont agree with the last part - I think after what he has done and been through recently, he should be able to choose when he leaves.

[QUOTE=Penarth Blues;4956927]I'd given up posting on this board but had to log in to echo Sludge's and Since 64's posts.

The short-term memories of some on here are unbelievable. I can't think of anyone else who could have achieved what NW has done on the budget we are able to provide. Some of the more vocal critics on here should show some respect as well as try and really grasp the enormity of what we have achieved, and still are achieving, on the budget we have.

Fulham are an object lesson of how 'playing the right way' - whatever that is - guarantees you nothing. The last two seasons are amongst the best I have ever seen as a Cardiff fan, and amongst the best since we were relegated from the old first division.

This is year 2 of his time here. I'm happy he is gradually improving the quality of our squad within our wage structure and budget. I trust him to continue that improvement next year. He has shown with other teams such as QPR that given the resources he can produce sides that play attractive football. I'd rather give him that chance if he wants it rather than try and start again with someone who just wants to parrot a style we can't afford. See OGS for proof.

We are a mid-table Championship side in terms of our budget. Anything above that is

Completely agree!

I'm starting to think he might be Neil
    I'd bloody hope not

I don't think he'll stay next season, but it will be his choice. All the positives have been stated above, but there are negatives like how he is not very good at spending money. We know who has signed for big fees but maybe he didn't choose the players? He is good at picking up people on frees like Bamba, Hoilett, Mendez-Laing, Etheridge and even Damour. But I do wonder how the McKay brothers ended up at Cardiff, strange when they've done nothing anywhere else. He will be well respected after he has gone , whenever that is, but the recent tactics and chopping and changing of players has not been good.

State of some of these replies, the disrespect to the great man. Easily best manager I've seen us have, dragged us from very possibly being league 1 to the Premier league. With a budget a fraction of most we are 3 points from safety. 17th was the best we could hope for and with 9 left we aren't far off.

Unfortunately for the stability of the club I feel he may have had enough. But not to worry lads we can all come in and moan again during the rebuilding process with distant dreams to be where we are now (because we are all loving it so much clearly).

It seems that some people get uppity if people suggest the club could do with a new manager, new direction and fresh, long term ideas , as if it’s treasonous talk.

I think it’s possible to recognise that the end of this season would be the right time to evolve the footballing approach of the club without under appreciating Warnock’s contribution.

I personally feel that 'our Neil will go down as one of the best managers in the history of the club. That said, from next season I'd like to bring in a new manager who would be here in the long term i.e 10 years.

Doing so would really build the club up properly.

It would be nice for the club to be associated with a particular type of play as well or 'brand of football' as football yuppies refer to it these days.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    State of some of these replies, the disrespect to the great man. Easily best manager I've seen us have, dragged us from very possibly being league 1 to the Premier league. With a budget a fraction of most we are 3 points from safety. 17th was the best we could hope for and with 9 left we aren't far off.

Unfortunately for the stability of the club I feel he may have had enough. But not to worry lads we can all come in and moan again during the rebuilding process with distant dreams to be where we are now (because we are all loving it so much clearly).
    I haven't given an opinion either way on what I'd like to see happen until now, but I don't think it's disrespectful for fans to suggest it may be time for a change.

This season would have taken a massive toll on Warnock with all of the things that have happened off the pitch and it could be best for all parties if we separated on good terms at the end of the season.

He's already said that he's been questioning his position on a regular basis after the Sala tragedy, so it's only natural for fans to perceive that Warnock may no longer be coping well with the stresses involved in the pressure-cooker environment of Premier League management... Especially at a club so fraught with off-field issues as us (of which numerous ones are directly connected to him).

If Warnock leaves at the end of the season, it wouldn't be entirely for football reasons, in my opinion. I would hope that he would retire and spend quality time with his family (as he talks about frequently) instead of possibly putting his health at risk...as well his relationship with our fans.

I realise that speculating about his health could be perceived as being patronising to the man, but there just seems to be something different about him recently... And I think we can all agree that less likely things have happened this season than what I'm suggesting could happen if he continued in his role next season.

If he comes out and states that he's still got the fight in him to carry on... And, more importantly, that he's still enjoying football management (which he used to say regularly but has now appeared to have stopped saying entirely... at least publicly) that's a different matter. I just don't want anything to tarnish what Warnock has done for this club in his short time here.

Basically, I don't think it's fair to suggest any disrespect in perhaps wanting a change in management at the end of the season when there could be valid and honest reasons for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

I wouldn't want him to go based on this season. Since he's been here he's been brilliant for us, a perfect fit.

But personally I think he looks like he's coming to the end of his time in football and a younger man should take over. If that means years of struggle so be it.

No thanks, appreciate everything he's done but time for him to retire now
    I'm with you on this. I think he'll retire anyway, but there's more to the Premier League than man to man marking and hoping to outbattle your opposition. Warnock has been an unbelievable manager for us in terms of what we've achieved, but if we have any ambitions of establishing ourselves in the Premier League, whether it be next season or if we win promotion again at some point, we need more modern thinking and the whole club needs to have a plan as part of its ethos.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    It would be nice for the club to be associated with a particular type of play
    If you believe supporters at other clubs and the media at large, we are already associated with a particular type of play!

As I watched us passing the ball like a bad League One side against Everton, I began to consider the possibility of sacking Neil Warnock for the first time. However, it didn't take me long to dismiss the idea from my mind because, overall, he is still in credit as Cardiff City manager and his achievement in getting an eighth promotion in his career at the age of sixty nine was something that very few managers could emulate. Warnock was the biggest single factor behind our promotion last season in my view and he has earned himself the right to have a full season in charge in the Premier League with us.

That said, another reason why I want our manager to stay is that the squad he has created (after not far short of two and a half years in charge this is assuredly his squad now) is very one dimensional by Premier League standards and with no way of changing that situation apart from bringing in the odd free agent, I don't believe any newcomer would be able to get more out of it than Neil Warnock would.

I'm in agreement with others who say that they expect Neil Warnock to retire at the end of the season, but, if this is not the case and he indicates a desire to carry on, then the club has a very tricky decision to make for many reasons - I suppose the division we are in next season could make a big difference to any decision as to whether to keep him in the job or not.

To be honest, I think those suggesting that Neil Warnock is restricted in the sort of football his team can play by the budget he has to work with are being a bit naive. For a start, our transfer spending in the last year has been on a par or better than some in this division and with no match winning individual in the Taarabt class like he had in 10/11, my belief is that we are playing exactly the type of football he wants, and will continue to want, us to play.

The man himself has said on a number of occasions that, at his age, he has to look far more at the here and now rather than trying to put some sort of grand plan into place for the next five to ten years, but, while that sort of thinking is understandable from his point of view, it can lead to a club that is rudderless and, based on the current evidence, with a squad that is ageing, has relatively little resale value and is in requirement of a fairly substantial overhaul some time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    with a squad that is ageing, has relatively little resale value and is in requirement of a fairly substantial overhaul some time soon.
    Yes, this is the crux of it in many ways for me.

Warnock will need replacing, whether it's at the end of this season or in a year's time. When he goes, a new manager will need to bring in a number of players to employ the tactics he wants, which I can assume will be different to Warnock's. I'd love us to change the way we play to incorporate us having more of the ball during games. A passing side we are not and, while Burnley and Stoke are often cited as an example of teams not needing to be the greatest passing sides in the world to survive in the PL, they are still in the minority.

Let's say we went down this season. Do we allow Warnock another crack at another promotion and end up in the same position as we started this season, pumping balls 100 yards in the air and upfield like a projectile? If we want to rebuild the squad and change our game, then we need to bring someone in straight at the end of the season to allow them a whole transfer window.

If we stayed up this season, would we build from this or end up doing a Huddersfield? Given most of our performances recently, Arsenal and Bournemouth apart, I would have to say the latter.

I've read a few fans recently saying that if we went down we'd still have a good Championship squad capable of making a reasonable fist of a promotion bid, based on previous campaigns. The negative effect that relegation brings to a squad hasn't been considered.

I love NW, he's been amazing for us and will go down as a legend.

But I'm tired of seeing us withhold sieges and feed on scraps during games, I'd rather we become a team that tries to dominate and devour. That starts with playing a more attractive style of football.

Is NW the man to put those wheels in motion? I don't think he is unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Best manager Cardiff city have ever had , period
    I was hoping he would be offered a position within the club to advise and manage in regards to club policy and how they work within the dirty world of football. He seemed to me to be the ideal person to bring further stability to the club and his knowledge would've been invaluable.

I'm now not so sure about that after what's happened with Sala.

He's been brilliant for City and everyone has to acknowledge that even if some of the football seems a little agricultural, robust and not easy on the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Best manager Cardiff city have ever had , period
    Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I'd given up posting on this board but had to log in to echo Sludge's and Since 64's posts.

The short-term memories of some on here are unbelievable. I can't think of anyone else who could have achieved what NW has done on the budget we are able to provide. Some of the more vocal critics on here should show some respect as well as try and really grasp the enormity of what we have achieved, and still are achieving, on the budget we have.

Fulham are an object lesson of how 'playing the right way' - whatever that is - guarantees you nothing. The last two seasons are amongst the best I have ever seen as a Cardiff fan, and amongst the best since we were relegated from the old first division.

This is year 2 of his time here. I'm happy he is gradually improving the quality of our squad within our wage structure and budget. I trust him to continue that improvement next year. He has shown with other teams such as QPR that given the resources he can produce sides that play attractive football. I'd rather give him that chance if he wants it rather than try and start again with someone who just wants to parrot a style we can't afford. See OGS for proof.

We are a mid-table Championship side in terms of our budget. Anything above that is a bonus.
    ^^^These

Neil, stay as long as you want