+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Manchester City under investigation for alledged financial fair play violations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Manchester City under investigation for alledged financial fair play violations

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I'm confused. Is he trolling you or does he think he's right?
    It all depends on whether an allegation can be viewed in the past tense or not, i.e. what if it didn't happen? I only got an A level in English, so I am not an authority on this stuff

Re: Manchester City under investigation for alledged financial fair play violations

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It all depends on whether an allegation can be viewed in the past tense or not, i.e. what if it didn't happen?
    So I could say 'I don't understand why Michael Jackson still feels the need to (allegedly) abuse children' and that would make sense?

So I could say 'I don't understand why Michael Jackson still feels the need to (allegedly) abuse children' and that would make sense?
    My sentence was in relation to Manchester City having the best players, which was true in 2014, so it's a different context.

My sentence was in relation to Manchester City having the best players, which was true in 2014, so it's a different context.
    Get help, seriously.

Get help, seriously.
    An allegation can't be spoken of in the past tense until it has been proven, as we don't know if it occured or not.

I should have pointed out that he's actually dead, so he can't still feel the need to do anything.

I should have pointed out that he's actually dead, so he can't still feel the need to do anything.
    There must be two of you. The Wales-Bales on the previous page was saying that if allegations are being made then dates are irrelevant, it's a current situation so it should be talked about in the present tense.

There must be two of you. The Wales-Bales on the previous page was saying that if allegations are being made then dates are irrelevant, it's a current situation so it should be talked about in the present tense.
    It's an ongoing investigation, so it's happening in the present. The dates of the possible violations do not alter this fact, so I spoke in the present tense.

It's an ongoing investigation, so it's happening in the present. The dates of the possible violations do not alter this fact, so I spoke in the present tense.
    Yes, I've already discussed this with the other Wales-Bales. I said if that was true then I'd be able to talk about Michael Jackson (allegedly) abusing children in the present tense. Maybe you could read the thread back so you don't cover the same ground.

Yes, I've already discussed this with the other Wales-Bales. I said if that was true then I'd be able to talk about Michael Jackson (allegedly) abusing children in the present tense. Maybe you could read the thread back so you don't cover the same ground.
    He's dead so it could only be in the past tense. An ongoing investigation is in the present tense.

A better example would be:

I don't understand why you still feel the need to cheat, when you are happily married. (present tense, may or may not cheat again)

I don't understand why you still felt the need to cheat, when you are happily married. (past tense, cheating concluded)