+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do the bin lorries work during rush hours on main roads ?

Why do the bin lorries work during rush hours on main roads ?

Ridiculous to see them trying to do their job on busy roads must be frustrating for them as well as the car drivers

Re: Why do the bin lorries work during rush hours on main roads ?

When would you suggest they do it though

I’d say there’s probably not that many of them to do a 3rd of a million people weekly. Probably up all hours.

Some countries have overnight collections. If we did that, wages would need to rise to reflect the unsociable hours worked and people would baulk at the idea of council tax rising to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Some countries have overnight collections. If we did that, wages would need to rise to reflect the unsociable hours worked and people would baulk at the idea of council tax rising to pay for it.
    Also, surely there would be more cars parked thus obstructing access during the night.
    Noisy feckers too these refuse technicians.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    When would you suggest they do it though
    When I was a kid it used to be done early in the morning- sort of 5 or 6 AM

So yeah , that time... or in the evening, must take them twice as long wh n they are trying to work their way through traffic.

Been caught behind them going through Llanidhen, Crwys Rd and the worst has to be Beresford Rd when there’s no way past.

One lad almost got run over by Heath High level Station yesterday by a car trying to squeeze padt

Imagine the noise complaints, I can't say I've ever really been obstructed enough to complain myself

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

So yeah , that time... or in the evening, must take them twice as long wh n they are trying to work their way through traffic.

Been caught behind them going through Llanidhen, Crwys Rd and the worst has to be Beresford Rd when there’s no way past.

One lad almost got run over by Heath High level Station yesterday by a car trying to squeeze padt
    It does seem it's at rush hour these days, I'm unsure why though as between 10am and 3pm would seem better and avoid night allowance costs .

I don't know much about their routes, how long does it take them?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Also, surely there would be more cars parked thus obstructing access during the night.
    Very good point.

Imagine the noise complaints, I can't say I've ever really been obstructed enough to complain myself
    Do you work in Cardiff ?

Very good point.
    On the roads I’ve mentioned there are parked cars or very little room to get through even at rush hour

I don't know much about their routes, how long does it take them?
    I’d say to do a 1/4 to half mile stretch of road about 20-30 minutes.

Fair play to the bin men, they put some effort in too. Maybe on ‘job and finish’ as some crews seem to really work at speed

Do you work in Cardiff ?
    Yes but only by coryton, I only see one on pontypridd road but very rarely so doesn't really affect me

On the roads I’ve mentioned there are parked cars or very little room to get through even at rush hour
    Tell the homeowners that they'll have to park their vehicles elsewhere to allow bin lorries and traffic to come through.

I’d say to do a 1/4 to half mile stretch of road about 20-30 minutes.

Fair play to the bin men, they put some effort in too. Maybe on ‘job and finish’ as some crews seem to really work at speed
    I don't really know the roads you mention are they in Caerphilly? I imagine it's not ideal if it's narrow roads with busy traffic they could plan them a lot better

Pretty sure the contracts (in Cardiff)were changed a few years ago so they can now be collected any time between 6am and 10pm.
    Not really sure what the answer is to the Ops dilemma. If they avoided main roads at peak times then the side roads would be congested if they're collecting from there.
    I know what the answer is - patience.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Pretty sure the contracts (in Cardiff)were changed a few years ago so they can now be collected any time between 6am and 10pm.
    Not really sure what the answer is to the Ops dilemma. If they avoided main roads at peak times then the side roads would be congested if they're collecting from there.
    Your last sentence could sit well in this thread...

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php...ver-Experience

Your last sentence could sit well in this thread...

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php...ver-Experience
    Lol ,weren't bin man , multi millionres then and on strike .

Is this like “why did the chicken cross the road” question ????

Is there an answer ??????

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Or change their start time at work when there's a bin collection day?

Whenever I'm driving and see a bin lorry navigating their way through traffic I always give way regardless whose right of way it is - they have a job to do after all.

It's worth it just to see their smiley faces as they give me a hearty thumbs-up thank-you.

Do they f*ck !!

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Whenever I'm driving and see a bin lorry navigating their way through traffic I always give way regardless whose right of way it is - they have a job to do after all.

It's worth it just to see their smiley faces as they give me a hearty thumbs-up thank-you.

Do they f*ck !!
    From a young age my kids were fascinated by the bin men, and if they heard the lorry they would rush to the window so they could wave, and they always waved back.

I do t think I've spent more than a cumulative minute in the last year stuck behind a bin lorry, so for me it's a small price to pay

Noisy feckers too these refuse technicians.
    Their language is ripe too. I get so embarrassed when I hear the "F" word.

A little thought, without them there’d have been no magic hat for Peter Thorne.