+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If we go down.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

If we go down.

Is our squad good enough to bounce back?

I assume that Camarasa will go back to Spain or get an offer from a PL club.

Unsure whether Arter or Gunnarsson will want to stay.

Re: If we go down.

Arter is on loan aswell but I think we could buy him relatively cheap. Gunnarson stayed last time we went down so why not again?

No. And Warnock likely retires.

Pretty sure Gunnarson is going. Hoping Arter likes us enough and fancies the challenge of promotion. The only real miss will be Camarasa, as I think he’s easily our best player. Scratching my head as to why Betis let us have him for a season. How good is their midfield?

Didn't Gunnarson already sign a deal to go elsewhere? Camarasa will be gone. As will Arter. I think the likes of Murphy and Reid would be among the best players in the Championship, but who knows? It's a tough league to get out of.

If the loanees and out of contract players leave we would need to sign 6-7 new players to compete in the Championship - even with an energised Warnock in charge and Ken Zohore in world-beater mode.

We would have Zohore, Ward, Healey, Madine and Reid up front.

NML and Murphy on the wing (plus Hoilett for another year but no Kadeem - not sure?)

Paterson would be around as a striker, No 10, wide player, RWB or emergency right back.

Midfield would be Joe Ralls and maybe Bacuna (4 more years!)

Bennett and Cunningham are fine at left back. Bruno and Jazz would be gone. Other defenders in the squad would be Mozza, Peltier, Connolly and old Sol once he recovers from his ACL - if he does.

Etheridge and Smithies in goal.

To be competitive we would need players all over the pitch - but especially midfielders.

I'm sure that will happen in the summer whatever league we are in, and whoever is the manager.

We might even see some youth players coming through! Miracles do happen.

Anybody think Tomlin might be back with us? If Neil goes, a new manager might want a look at him.

Challenging league, think we should be too half with what would likely remain in our squad. And from there it's anybody's guess, there is usually very little to choose between the teams in 2nd and 12th in that league.

A lot will depend on what kind of salary increases our players had upon promotion, and whether they will go back down again on relegation, as if we are lumbered with a number of big salaries that will severely hamper our ability to refresh the squad

Don't want to go straight back up.. Let them go, replace them with young talent. Change the structure of the team with a core of players talented enough to make a step up. No more cart horses and long ball tactics. Let's play football and make it a club youngsters want to come and develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    Don't want to go straight back up.. Let them go, replace them with young talent. Change the structure of the team with a core of players talented enough to make a step up. No more cart horses and long ball tactics. Let's play football and make it a club youngsters want to come and develop.
    Unfortunately the game has changed and youngsters have a far better chance of a successful career if they join the likes of Chelsea, Man City, etc. They'll choose those clubs over us every time.

I'd love the ethos of the club to be one of development and good football but we'd drop at least another division again whilst changing to a longterm ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Unfortunately the game has changed and youngsters have a far better chance of a successful career if they join the likes of Chelsea, Man City, etc. They'll choose those clubs over us every time.

I'd love the ethos of the club to be one of development and good football but we'd drop at least another division again whilst changing to a longterm ideology.
    I get what you are saying, and to an extent you are right. Much more attractive for them to sign for a big club and have that on the cv. But only a few of them get game time and usually have to go out on loan to play. We can't just change over night, but we can over time. And if we can offer both top coaches and time on the pitch, we can attract talent. We can do that with our resources on and off the pitch. If building a reputation of a club who develop and let youngsters have a chance in the first team, after relegation would be the perfect time. Keep a core of the team , and let the rest go. My humble opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Is our squad good enough to bounce back?

I assume that Camarasa will go back to Spain or get an offer from a PL club.

Unsure whether Arter or Gunnarsson will want to stay.
    No. Let's not forget the negative effect relegation can have as well.

Anything can happen in the championship

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Pretty sure Gunnarson is going. Hoping Arter likes us enough and fancies the challenge of promotion. The only real miss will be Camarasa, as I think he’s easily our best player. Scratching my head as to why Betis let us have him for a season. How good is their midfield?
    They have a really good midfield

These days, a young player might go to a big Premier League club to get in the shop window, what with the emerging trend of them then being sold on to the Bundedliga - often before making a first team appearance.
    The next stage will be for them to then return to the Premier League at greatly inflated prices.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    These days, a young player might go to a big Premier League club to get in the shop window, what with the emerging trend of them then being sold on to the Bundedliga - often before making a first team appearance.
    The next stage will be for them to then return to the Premier League at greatly inflated prices.
    They also go to the likes of Chelsea and man city because that's where all the very best coaches are. These clubs spend a fortune on their academies and have top coaches and facilities.
    Or they can stay at a lower league club and play on dog shit park

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    No. Let's not forget the negative effect relegation can have as well.
    Absolutely! A lot of the players who were instrumental in getting us promoted are heading towards the twilight of their careers. It took them a colossal effort to do it last time, however, it's questionable whether they'd be mentally up for it a second time around.

Etheridge, Reid, Murphy, Bamba (I think he's still got another season left in him), Manga (ditto), get Arter signed for a sensible fee and wages if possible (he's not a great Premier League player, but he'd be outstanding in the Championship I feel), replace Ralls and Gunnarsson in midfield with players who are more comfortable on the ball, get that longed for right-back in, I'd also look for a left-back too.. Bennett blows too hot & cold for my liking. Morrison as cover on the bench (it would need Warnock to be gone for that to happen of course!), a new 1st choice striker, with Zohore as a backup... we might be in with a fighting chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Absolutely! A lot of the players who were instrumental in getting us promoted are heading towards the twilight of their careers. It took them a colossal effort to do it last time, however, it's questionable whether they'd be mentally up for it a second time around.

Etheridge, Reid, Murphy, Bamba (I think he's still got another season left in him), Manga (ditto), get Arter signed for a sensible fee and wages if possible (he's not a great Premier League player, but he'd be outstanding in the Championship I feel), replace Ralls and Gunnarsson in midfield with players who are more comfortable on the ball, get that longed for right-back in, I'd also look for a left-back too.. Bennett blows too hot & cold for my liking. Morrison as cover on the bench (it would need Warnock to be gone for that to happen of course!), a new 1st choice striker, with Zohore as a backup... we might be in with a fighting chance!
    Don't agree about Bennett, he's been great this season

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Agreed.

Warnock clearly didn't think so. Why was it that he was dropped on a number of occasions and replaced by Cunningham?

...and I'm not suggesting Cunnigham is better btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    I get what you are saying, and to an extent you are right. Much more attractive for them to sign for a big club and have that on the cv. But only a few of them get game time and usually have to go out on loan to play. We can't just change over night, but we can over time. And if we can offer both top coaches and time on the pitch, we can attract talent. We can do that with our resources on and off the pitch. If building a reputation of a club who develop and let youngsters have a chance in the first team, after relegation would be the perfect time. Keep a core of the team , and let the rest go. My humble opinion of course.
    I think it's the reputation that's key. As a parent you want to give your kid the biggest opportunity if he's in the system. Unfortunately Cardiff are hardly renowned for bringing through players in the last 10 years.

I think it's disgusting that there's no pathway for a club the size of ours when you consider teams not only like Leicester, Southampton and West Ham who bring kids through but even top clubs who have pressure to win things or finish top 4 like Liverpool, United and Spurs have far better records than us.

Warnock clearly didn't think so. Why was it that he was dropped on a number of occasions and replaced by Cunningham?
    Warnock has played Bennett in 3 times as many games as he has Cunningham, so I don't think it is in any doubt which of the two he rates higher.

I think the first was the Man City game, due to the FA cup tie last season

Warnock has played Bennett in 3 times as many games as he has Cunningham, so I don't think it is in any doubt which of the two he rates higher.
    Oh, I'm sure he does rate Bennett the better of the two. Nevertheless, he felt the need to drop him on more than one occasion. In fact, I don't think it says much for Greg Cunnigham.