+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Kilimanjaro

Kilimanjaro

Ever climbed it? Another group of celebrities have and im afraid the bbc have made a programme about it

Re: Kilimanjaro

Vince Alm did, about 3 years ago

He did Mera peak didn't he? Which I think is more impressive

I did it this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    He did Mera peak didn't he? Which I think is more impressive
    Not as impressive as reaching your seat in the away end at Newcastle!!

Great album. One of the best debuts ever.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Great album. One of the best debuts ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    Ever climbed it? Another group of celebrities have and im afraid the bbc have made a programme about it
    Innit though :rollseyes:

What's wrong with them doing a proper challenger like scaling the north face of ths Eiger.

Talking of which, anyone see that programme (sorry only caught bits of it) where the bloke free styles this vertical rock face hundreds, possibly thousands, of feet with no safety harnesses in a tee shirt and trainers?
    Now that was impressive.

Nothing is as impressive as John Noakes climbing Nelsons Column on Blue Peter 40+ years ago

https://youtu.be/HW3daihiY30

I wonder how much they all get paid for the Kilimanjaro climb? They don't do it for nothing, and then tell us how we should be giving to charity. I'd bloody climb it if they paid me too.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I wonder how much they all get paid for the Kilimanjaro climb? They don't do it for nothing, and then tell us how we should be giving to charity. I'd bloody climb it if they paid me too.
    They will not be paying them to appear on the climb. However there is a heavy associated benefit by appearing, you will be on a prime time tv show for an hour and garner good will from the viewing public.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    They will not be paying them to appear on the climb. However there is a heavy associated benefit by appearing, you will be on a prime time tv show for an hour and garner good will from the viewing public.
    Derek the weatherman show was on the other night and he was out walking with half a dozen women ramblers from Gwaelod y Garth and some of them had climbed it. I think it’s more difficult at the moment though cause l believe that fifty foot of the climb has the handrails missing.

Why travel, cook, get fit, paint, do DIY or anything else when you can sit on the sofa and watch other people do it on TV?

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I swear if someone said they were doing a multi-beach hike of Antigua to raise funds for a good cause, a good percentage of folk would bite ..

International

Derek the weatherman show was on the other night and he was out walking with half a dozen women ramblers from Gwaelod y Garth and some of them had climbed it. I think it’s more difficult at the moment though cause l believe that fifty foot of the climb has the handrails missing.

You don't climb Kilimanjaro you walk up it. There are even people along the route selling refreshments according to someone I know who has done it.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Got to the top (Meru) in 2007 ... felt absolutely terrible getting there.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Killi is a proper challenge!

Kili is on my list of things to do when I retire. My mate has done both Kili and EBC though and says that the latter is by far the best, largely because of the incredible views of the surrounding mountains.
    On Kili you don't get that. But I think I'd prefer a challenge where you can actually get to the top of a mountain, which I'm ruling out in the case of Everest

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Kili is on my list of things to do when I retire. My mate has done both Kili and EBC though and says that the latter is by far the best, largely because of the incredible views of the surrounding mountains.
    On Kili you don't get that. But I think I'd prefer a challenge where you can actually get to the top of a mountain, which I'm ruling out in the case of Everest
    Mera peak maybe gives you the best of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Mera peak maybe gives you the best of both.
    I wasn't aware of that mountain. I've seen it described as a 'trekking peak'. Presumably this means it can be walked without having to do any climbing?

Incidentally I thought you meant Meru and also thought you had lost your mind if you thought I would go anywhere near that