+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burnley play twice at home before we have our next game

Burnley play twice at home before we have our next game

Tomorrow they face Leicester and in two weeks they play Wolves the day before we play Chelsea.

Southampton are away at Brighton the day before we play Chelsea as well.

I know they say we should concentrate on our own results but we will be dealt a massive blow if Burnley and Southampton pick up maxium points in those games.

We need to get through the Chelsea and Man City gaes (our next two) an still be in touching distance. And that's going to most likely rely on the other teams losing rather than us winning.

Re: Burnley play twice at home before we have our next game

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Tomorrow they face Leicester and in two weeks they play Wolves the day before we play Chelsea.

I know they say we should concentrate on our own results but we will be dealt a massive blow if Burnley and Southampton pick up maxium points in those games.

We need to get through the Chelsea and Man City gaes (our next two) an still be in touching distance. And that's going to most likely rely on the other teams losing rather than us winning.
    Fortune farts in our face once again.

If they get anything at all from their games, it still heaps added pressure on us.

If we do manage to avoid the drop this season, we will have done it the hard way no question.

Conversely: if we pick up wins in our away games it will be massively demoralising for Burnley and Southampton as it will block their ability to pull away in a period where they probably feel they must.

It's still all to play for and it's not incredible to think that we might get a result at Chelsea. It's still 11 professional footballers vs 11 professional footballers.

I'll give them 1 point. A draw & a loss.

You talk about fortune but just a few weeks ago we had 2 games at home against mid table opposition and were hammered in both. You make your own fortune. We failed that time. Can't afford to fail again.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    You talk about fortune but just a few weeks ago we had 2 games at home against mid table opposition and were hammered in both. You make your own fortune. We failed that time. Can't afford to fail again.
    Exactly. We all have to play the same teams home and away. We all play 38 games.

They are also away to Bournemouth the day before we play Chelsea. I said it in another thread, but if Burnley can pick up about points in those games, and we fail to beat them, then we're virtually gone.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    I'd say we were pretty unfortunate not to have been awarded a stone wall pelanty before getting "hammered" in the first of those.
    BTW I am not defending our players or team selection, just that we seemed to keep getting kicked while we were down.

You are right about tour last sentence

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Exactly. We all have to play the same teams home and away. We all play 38 games.
    Okay its cliche time. If only life were that simple.

Situations happen and we are where we are.
    The table at the end of the day doesn't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Okay its cliche time. If only life were that simple.

Situations happen and we are where we are.
    The table at the end of the day doesn't lie.
    Life really is that simple.

It's City's own fault for not beating them on our patch last September.

They have managed to get points off the top 6 clubs. In fact they were unlucky not to get all 3 at OT but equally they were lucky to beat Spurs.

The same incidentally with Southampton, they beat both Arsenal and Spurs.

Unless City can get anything off the top teams whom they still have to play (highly unlikely) then that would mean 0 points out of 36 versus Man C, Man U, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    Unless City can get anything off the top teams whom they still have to play (highly unlikely) then that would mean 0 points out of 36 versus Man C, Man U, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea.
    This is the very damning statistic. It's not only the outcome of these games but the way in which we have approached and played in them too. Nothing short of rolling over and letting them trample us (Arsenal aside).

Quote Originally Posted by dave1927 View Post
    This is the very damning statistic. It's not only the outcome of these games but the way in which we have approached and played in them too. Nothing short of rolling over and letting them trample us (Arsenal aside).
    You appear to be accusing the players and management of deliberately losing these games ?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You appear to be accusing the players and management of deliberately losing these games ?
    That's a tough call to blame players who 70% at best are top championship players, we do not enough strength on the bench to change tactics, the vast majority are in this environment for the first time and still learning, many don't have the ability to flex in positional play as per the top sides.

They have done remarkably well when consider the circumstances of this year.

When warnock sends his side out to man mark it makes you wonder

I think we need to beat one of chelsea, Man City, Liverpool or Man Utd to have any chance of staying up winning 2/3 away games is a tough ask

Whilst I can respect your positivity, I can also see the point dave1927 is making.

You appear to have a more positive outlook than Neil Warnock - I don’t remember hearing or reading a single comment from him this season where he has given me even a glimpse of an impression that we can get anything out of the matches with top 6 because little old Cardiff can’t compete with their squads and wealth. While that may be accurate it doesn’t sound like it comes from the dml school of positivity does it?

Quote Originally Posted by dave1927 View Post
    Hang on - we did score first at Chelsea, and we were the first away side to score atAnfield for months, though we lost both games 4-1, we can't accuse the team of not trying.

Spurs and the Manchester clubs, however...

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Hang on - we did score first at Chelsea, and we were the first away side to score atAnfield for months, though we lost both games 4-1, we can't accuse the team of not trying.

Spurs and the Manchester clubs, however...
    We were ok at Wembley against Spurs

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I was thinking about the home game, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Close at Everton ,drew with Palace ,beat Leicester.

Unless Man City lose tomorrow our next 2 will most likely be Chelsea and Burnley

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Unless Man City lose tomorrow our next 2 will most likely be Chelsea and Burnley
    IMHO Man City game will be on April 3rd if they win tomorrow. There's no other time for it. I reckon it will be brought forward to the 3rd.

They have already scheduled their derby v Man Utd for the 24th of April and every other midweek involves European games.

IMHO Man City game will be on April 3rd if they win tomorrow. There's no other time for it. I reckon it will be brought forward to the 3rd.

They have already scheduled their derby v Man Utd for the 24th of April and every other midweek involves European games.
    That won’t give a lot of time for organising tickets, transport etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    It's City's own fault for not beating them on our patch last September.

They have managed to get points off the top 6 clubs. In fact they were unlucky not to get all 3 at OT but equally they were lucky to beat Spurs.

The same incidentally with Southampton, they beat both Arsenal and Spurs.

Significantly, all of the five sides immediately above us have picked up points against the top six. We gave Arsenal two good games, but can anyone honestly say that there was any time in the second half of our matches against the other five that you thought we could get something out of the game? As mentioned earlier, it's the nature of our performances against Spurs, Chelsea, the Manchester clubs and Liverpool that has been almost as disappointing as the results themselves - I reckon if we play with the intensity in our next game that we showed in our last one, we've got a chance of getting something against Chelsea, but we've been like a side that was beaten before a ball was kicked in all of our matches against the five sides I mentioned earlier (I'd say that's what we've been guilty of, rather than not trying).

One other thing, perhaps if we would have treated the FA Cup with some seriousness we might not be having all of these long breaks between fixtures - look how damaging the last one was to us.