+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FT: WALES 25 - 7 IRELAND. Grand Slam winners

Re: FT: WALES 25 - 7 IRELAND. Grand Slam winners

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    just like football irish2 think it's unfair to label players with compliments and acolades from years gone by

the great welsh side from the 70;s wouldn't survive the modern rugby world

in that assumption I would say Alun wyn jones is the greatest forward from the modern era
    Given the same training and opportunities that current players have, the Welsh side of the seventies would do fine as far skills and talent go, but they could be outmuscled by opponents who would be much bigger than them.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm not so sure that we have much more to give as an attacking force - any team in the world would miss Falletau, but do we have anyone who can come in and make us more of an attacking threat?

If you leave aside the 74-24 romp against Tonga in November, it is now eleven matches, and more than a year, since Wales scored more than two tries in a game - I don't think you can be in "second gear" for that long and then start carrying a real try scoring threat when you come to a World Cup.
    But it isn't the tries that are winning matches, it's the defence. It is awesome. I was listening to an English player during the week and he said, "If you score a try against this welsh team you know you deserved it" implying the huge effort required to do it.
    That defence also throws up the penalties that drive the opposition back into their own half and when we are already in their half give Anscombe the chances to hit those kicks.We will miss Shaun Edwards as much as Gatland. I think he should be man of the tournament.

The game was only a spectacle due to the anticipated result .

Ireland were off badly song .

Wales had a very friendly referee.

Wales really know how to defend.

I would say as a casual whatcher of the game over the decades, Alan Wyn Jones, must be very close to the acolade , of being the greater Welsh player of it's time.

Its great to get our city's bars and restaurants back again.

The the alleged sporting fans (revellers ) can put ther sporting battle attire away for another,
    six months , alongside thier Xmas booze outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But it isn't the tries that are winning matches, it's the defence. It is awesome. I was listening to an English player during the week and he said, "If you score a try against this welsh team you know you deserved it" implying the huge effort required to do it.
    That defence also throws up the penalties that drive the opposition back into their own half and when we are already in their half give Anscombe the chances to hit those kicks.We will miss Shaun Edwards as much as Gatland. I think he should be man of the tournament.
    A try scoring record like we have means, to me anyway, that we are not a well enough rounded team to win a World Cup - our defence might be very good, but we didn't keep one "clean sheet" as far as tries conceded in this season's six nations (in fact we only scored two more than our opponents).

Actually, I've just realised that we did score three tries, with considerable assistance from the opposition, against France, but I think the point I'm trying to make about our lack of try scoring potential still stands.

A try scoring record like we have means, to me anyway, that we are not a well enough rounded team to win a World Cup - our defence might be very good, but we didn't keep one "clean sheet" as far as tries conceded in this season's six nations (in fact we only scored two more than our opponents).

Actually, I've just realised that we did score three tries, with considerable assistance from the opposition, against France, but I think the point I'm trying to make about our lack of try scoring potential still stands.
    I can’t say I agree with you bob, we can play any form of rugby we have 2 of the worlds best place kickers, the players we have out injured is phenomenal and for the first time I can remember we are actually patient and can go through a ridiculous amount phases there’s no need to score loads of try’s if it’s a close game going in to the last 20 mins I back us to go and win because I don’t think there’s a fitter team out there

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I can’t say I agree with you bob, we can play any form of rugby we have 2 of the worlds best place kickers, the players we have out injured is phenomenal and for the first time I can remember we are actually patient and can go through a ridiculous amount phases there’s no need to score loads of try’s if it’s a close game going in to the last 20 mins I back us to go and win because I don’t think there’s a fitter team out there
    Who are the players we have out injured?

Who are the players we have out injured?
    Talupae Faletau, Ellis Jenkins, Aaron Shingler, Tomos Williams, Scott Williams, Leigh Halfpenny

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But it isn't the tries that are winning matches, it's the defence. It is awesome. I was listening to an English player during the week and he said,"If you score a try against this welsh team you know you deserved it" implying the huge effort required to do it.
    I've been a bit out of the loop for a number of years now, however, I am aware of Shaun Edwards' huge input on our defence. Are you saying he's leaving us too?

I'm not so sure that we have much more to give as an attacking force - any team in the world would miss Falletau, but do we have anyone who can come in and make us more of an attacking threat?

If you leave aside the 74-24 romp against Tonga in November, it is now eleven matches, and more than a year, since Wales scored more than two tries in a game - I don't think you can be in "second gear" for that long and then start carrying a real try scoring threat when you come to a World Cup.
    We have a lot of young players coming through who are going to get better. Josh Adams, Adam Beard,Elliot Dee, Tomos Williams, Arron Wainwright, Owen Watkin etc. Even the likes of Ellis Jenkins, Gareth Anscombe and Ross Moriarty are relatively young. We may also have Rhys Webb back in time for the World Cup as he is very unsettled in France.
    So I think we will continue to improve especially as Anscombe is now getting into his stride at ten.

Who's this Alan Wyn Jones? Is he related to Alun Wyn Jones?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Talupae Faletau, Ellis Jenkins, Aaron Shingler, Tomos Williams, Scott Williams, Leigh Halfpenny
    I’d add to that list Samson Lee, Cory Hill and Dan Lydiate with Rhys Webb deemed unavailable. Totally agree with you about how patient this team is going through phase after phase. Similar to how Ireland have succeeded in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I've been a bit out of the loop for a number of years now, however, I am aware of Shaun Edwards' huge input on our defence. Are you saying he's leaving us too?
    Yep after the World Cup.

I can only imagine the state town was in last night/this morning

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    For me, only Faletau would get into yesterday's side but even if all six of them did, I see no one there who is going to turn us into a more potent attacking side - Scott Williams might help things and Ellis Jenkins played superbly in the game where he got injured, but we'd still be, essentially, the same side when it came to creating and taking try scoring opportunities.

For me, only Faletau would get into yesterday's side but even if all six of them did, I see no one there who is going to turn us into a more potent attacking side - Scott Williams might help things and Ellis Jenkins played superbly in the game where he got injured, but we'd still be, essentially, the same side when it came to creating and taking try scoring opportunities.
    I think your putting too much emphasis on try scoring. England can score try’s for fun, but their defence stinks. I’m not sure if we’ve got enough to win the World Cup, but the gap is definitely closing between Northern and Southern Hemisphere. We have one of the meanest defences in the world, we finish games stronger than any other team at the moment, we’re on a 14 game winning streak, we have a solid, very experienced coaching staff and a tremendous squad spirit. All the ingredients are there for a massive assault on the biggest trophy later this yr in Japan.

George Norths injury yesterday played a big part I think in our play yesterday. Liam Williams on the wing isn't able to make the same runs as he is from fullback, Biggar at at 10 doesnt release the backs as much as Anscombe and Tomos Williams makes more line breaks than Aled Davies.
    But yes, I think we're still need another finisher in the back line.

International

Just to put this defensive thing in context look at the numbers and comments here..................... from BBC Chief Sports Writer:-

"This is not an extravagantly gifted Welsh team. Not once in this championship have they scored more than 26 points in a game. England scored 32 or more on four occasions.

Only Italy created as few tries. England scored 14 more. It all matters less than the paltry seven that Wales conceded, almost half as many as Eddie Jones's team.

Gatland has been loyal to his key lieutenant, defence coach Shaun Edwards. You can see why. Each of the three Slams has been constructed around an immovable Edwards defence.

During this 14-match winning streak they have shipped just 19 tries and an average of 13 points per game. It is why Scotland head coach Gregor Townsend called it the best defence in the world and it is why, more than any other single factor, why Cardiff was cavorting again on Saturday night.

It took Ireland until the 82nd minute to breach it, when they had scored at least 20 points in their previous eight Six Nations games. An England side that had conjured up four tries in Dublin and three in the first half-hour alone against France were kept to just one here in their defeat three weeks ago."

Thoroughly enjoyed myself on Saturday at the game and afterwards

I really do think we have the best chance of coming second to New Zealand at the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Thoroughly enjoyed myself on Saturday at the game and afterwards

I really do think we have the best chance of coming second to New Zealand at the World Cup.
    If Ireland can beat the All Blacks so can we.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I think your putting too much emphasis on try scoring. England can score try’s for fun, but their defence stinks. I’m not sure if we’ve got enough to win the World Cup, but the gap is definitely closing between Northern and Southern Hemisphere. We have one of the meanest defences in the world, we finish games stronger than any other team at the moment, we’re on a 14 game winning streak, we have a solid, very experienced coaching staff and a tremendous squad spirit. All the ingredients are there for a massive assault on the biggest trophy later this yr in Japan.
    You're going to the crux of what I am saying there. We have risen to second in the world on the back of Saturday's win and fourteen consecutive wins says that we have to be considered as possible winners in Japan - if we were looking at any side going into a World Cup competition in any other sport we'd be saying they have to be serious contenders. Both in terms of the statistics and what we see out on the pitch, our defensive play looks to be good enough for a World Cup winning team, but the statistics and the evidence of what our eyes have been showing us for a year and more tell us that our attacking game isn't up to those lofty standards.

I'll make one prediction about the World Cup, if we win it playing the same sort of rugby we've played during our winning run, there'll be law changes as a consequence in much the same way as football had to make the game more attractive after the dull 1990 World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Ironic considering the conditions and how Ireland didn’t cope with them.
    Not ironic at all, the conditions played their part and Wales adapted to the conditions better than Ireland. The roof should always be open, it’s not an indoor sport

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    It’s not an away team decision, but both teams have to agree to have it closed. I guess Ireland thought it would be an advantage for them to play in the rain.
    Wales wanted it shut and Ireland wanted it open. So the roof stayed open and as I pointed out it was the away team decision

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    Wales wanted it shut and Ireland wanted it open. So the roof stayed open and as I pointed out it was the away team decision
    Or the default if they don't agree is 'open'.

You're going to the crux of what I am saying there. We have risen to second in the world on the back of Saturday's win and fourteen consecutive wins says that we have to be considered as possible winners in Japan - if we were looking at any side going into a World Cup competition in any other sport we'd be saying they have to be serious contenders. Both in terms of the statistics and what we see out on the pitch, our defensive play looks to be good enough for a World Cup winning team, but the statistics and the evidence of what our eyes have been showing us for a year and more tell us that our attacking game isn't up to those lofty standards.

I'll make one prediction about the World Cup, if we win it playing the same sort of rugby we've played during our winning run, there'll be law changes as a consequence in much the same way as football had to make the game more attractive after the dull 1990 World Cup.
    I think you’re being extremely unfair Paul, when we’ve needed to go expansive we have as I’ve pointed out earlier we are probably the only team that can really play any type of rugby although our defence was awesome again we had the majority of possession against Ireland until we didn’t really need it

As in any sport, score more points than the opposition win the game. That’s 14 times on the trot we’ve done that. It’s not a fluke. As Gatland says we’ve forgotten how to lose, but even more importantly we know how to win and vary it dependent on the opposition. We even played a B team against Italy - I don’t think Gatland was worried about bonus points as he knew how good we were.

As my North American colleagues say ‘defences win championships’