+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City v Jacks ... did you know

Re: City v Jacks ... did you know

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I see your point Clive but when I started watching they weren’t an issue in terms of rivalry. This is easily explainable. It’s because you are very old whereas I am just old.
    This just proves that looks can be deceiving. (TOBW - offence taken).

Bristol City and Newport fans seem to hate us more than Swansea fans do...

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    that the sides have met 56 times in the league & neither side has ever done the league double over the other!
    Opponent P W D L P W D L P W D L Win% First Last

Home Away Total

Swansea City 30 15 10 5 30 5 8 17 60 20 18 22 33.33 1912–13 2013–14

Apologies for the formatting ... looked good before I posted it.

Basically in 60 league matches against the Swans we have W20 D18 L22 with a win % of 33.33

We did the triple over them in the war years that's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The league matches ended 2-2 here and 1-1 at the Vetch with Jimmy Gilligan scoring all of our goals.

The sides also met in the First Round of the League Cup over two legs with the Jacks winning 1-0 down here and then we turned things around by winning 2-0 in the away leg with the goals coming from Paul Wheeler and Terry Boyle and there was a match at Ninian Park in the Associate Members Cup which we won by 2-0 thanks to goals from Gilligan and Alan Curtis.

The total attendance for the five games was 36,090!
    1988 was good, won the welsh cup there post promotion with that Alan Curtis goal, then 2 late goals in the cup to go through, bedlam in the away end.

It's an odd Derby really, technically is one but isn't particularly local by UK standards. The lack of professional clubs in the area is the only reason it is considered one.

If Newport had been a bit more relevant over the years that would have been a legit derby. Bristol and Swansea, as far as rivalries go I feel we have been a bit short changed.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Bristol City and Newport fans seem to hate us more than Swansea fans do...
    That chair throwing trick they pulled in the Granstand was pretty intense for a group of fans whose hatred is less than NC or BC.

I spent part of my childhood in Carmarthen and the rivalry was generally good willed but the Jacks I knew took a lot of pleasure in beating us. As a 10, 11, 12 year old in the early 90’s it was THE fixture. I got genuinely anxious about those games. This was partly fuelled by my fathers antics with the Jacks who lives in our village. I remember spray painting a huge sheet with the result on it when we beat them 4-1 one year and sneaking up to a Jack supporters house under the cover of darkness to tie it up for them to see in the morning. Fun and games, and great when you win, but for a 10 year old me , it was really tough when we lost (I remember almost crying on one occaision).

The Chopra last minute goal at the CCS was one of the most enjoyable goals I’ve seen and judging from the reaction of those around us ( it was mental) it was a special win.

I also felt as nervy about the Welsh Cup ties as I did the league ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post

The Chopra last minute goal at the CCS was one of the most enjoyable goals I’ve seen and judging from the reaction of those around us ( it was mental) it was a special win..
    As a one-off moment, that is right up there