+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City v Jacks ... did you know

City v Jacks ... did you know

that the sides have met 56 times in the league & neither side has ever done the league double over the other!

Re: City v Jacks ... did you know

And The titanic sank. ��

Come on Des you’re winding us up now right?

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    And The titanic sank. ��
    Tell 'em about the 5 games in 88/89 Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    P5 W2 D2 L1

For a team that are supposed to be our great rivals we don't appear to have played them many times comparatively. When I was a lad they were a team we seemed to play in the Welsh Cup occasionally. Looking at the list of games, we didn't play them in the league between 1965 and 1980 which probably explains my perception of them. Growing up I always regarded the Wurzels as our main rivals and, looking at our games against them, we have played them 82 times in the league. Significantly more than Swansea. I still look upon the Wurzels as our main local rivals and not the Jacks like most people seem to do. Perhaps it is an age thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    For a team that are supposed to be our great rivals we don't appear to have played them many times comparatively. When I was a lad they were a team we seemed to play in the Welsh Cup occasionally. Looking at the list of games, we didn't play them in the league between 1965 and 1980 which probably explains my perception of them. Growing up I always regarded the Wurzels as our main rivals and, looking at our games against them, we have played them 82 times in the league. Significantly more than Swansea. I still look upon the Wurzels as our main local rivals and not the Jacks like most people seem to do. Perhaps it is an age thing.

The league matches ended 2-2 here and 1-1 at the Vetch with Jimmy Gilligan scoring all of our goals.

The sides also met in the First Round of the League Cup over two legs with the Jacks winning 1-0 down here and then we turned things around by winning 2-0 in the away leg with the goals coming from Paul Wheeler and Terry Boyle and there was a match at Ninian Park in the Associate Members Cup which we won by 2-0 thanks to goals from Gilligan and Alan Curtis.

The total attendance for the five games was 36,090!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The league matches ended 2-2 here and 1-1 at the Vetch with Jimmy Gilligan scoring all of our goals.

The sides also met in the First Round of the League Cup over two legs with the Jacks winning 1-0 down here and then we turned things around by winning 2-0 in the away leg with the goals coming from Paul Wheeler and Terry Boyle and there was a match at Ninian Park in the Associate Members Cup which we won by 2-0 thanks to goals from Gilligan and Alan Curtis.

The total attendance for the five games was 36,090!
    Also .... the City sides for the two league games contained six players who also played for Swansea during their careers - Boyle, Curtis, Gilligan, Stevenson, Wimbleton and Walsh. City fans would have been shouting 'You Jack B*******' at more than half our own team !

They did the double in the league in the 1995/96 season.

I think they did in the 1964 season as well, but that was before my time so it doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    They did the double in the league in the 1995/96 season.

I think they did in the 1964 season as well, but that was before my time so it doesn't count.
    We didn't play them in 95/96.

Des is right, neither side have done a league double over the other in the history of the fixture.

We didn't play them in 95/96.

Des is right, neither side have done a league double over the other in the history of the fixture.
    most def..94/95 town 4-1 City, City 1-1 town..95/96 no game..96/97 town 0-1 City, City 1-3 town

We did the double/or even more during the last war albeit only ‘war time’ fixtures. A lot of our fans still think it’s war against them, not me, they are insignificant due to our lack of playing time against them. Realistically geographically Newport County should be our local derby rivals but that never materialised due to never playing each other on a regular basis. It’s Bristol City for me but that’s obviously an age thing, truth is we haven’t got a natural derby rival, the Swansea thing is a phoney trumped up derby really.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    We did the double/or even more during the last war albeit only ‘war time’ fixtures. A lot of our fans still think it’s war against them, not me, they are insignificant due to our lack of playing time against them. Realistically geographically Newport County should be our local derby rivals but that never materialised due to never playing each other on a regular basis. It’s Bristol City for me but that’s obviously an age thing, truth is we haven’t got a natural derby rival, the Swansea thing is a phoney trumped up derby really.
    Newport are huge underachievers. They should easily be able to support a championship team with the size of the city and surrounding towns

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Agree with this.

Its only really been a rivalry since about 1980 which puts it on a par with Brighton/Palace in terms of distance and history. Whilst the hatred is high nowadays between the 2 teams, its not really on a par with the big UK derbys in terms of history and tradition.

They didn’t really appear on the scene until tosh brought them up, they disappeared again and we only historically ever meet them when we sink low. Lately however they have had their golden era, are they about to sink again? Who knows......

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Agree with this.

Its only really been a rivalry since about 1980 which puts it on a par with Brighton/Palace in terms of distance and history. Whilst the hatred is high nowadays between the 2 teams, its not really on a par with the big UK derbys in terms of history and tradition.
    I don't think that's quite true. My first real encounter with football hooliganism came at the end of 69/70 season when we beat the jacks 2-0 in Welsh Cup Semi Final Replay at the Vetch. I was fourteen at the time and went to the game with a gang of schoolmates. As soon as we got off the bus and walked into the town centre, there were a gang of Swansea fans waiting for any City fans who had just arrived and all hell broke loose. Our gang scattered to the four winds and I ended watching the game with two others out of the original ten or so who traveled. We only met up again at the bus station after the game and although none of us were involved in the fighting, it turned out that we had all seen a lot of it as it went on for a long time before the match.

I remember that all of us were taken aback by the fighting because none of us had been expecting it, so we were not aware of any ill feeling beforehand, but it was definitely there and the way the jacks were waiting for us must have been pre planned.

I don't think that's quite true. My first real encounter with football hooliganism came at the end of 69/70 season when we beat the jacks 2-0 in Welsh Cup Semi Final Replay at the Vetch. I was fourteen at the time and went to the game with a gang of schoolmates. As soon as we got off the bus and walked into the town centre, there were a gang of Swansea fans waiting for any City fans who had just arrived and all hell broke loose. Our gang scattered to the four winds and I ended watching the game with two others out of the original ten or so who traveled. We only met up again at the bus station after the game and although none of us were involved in the fighting, it turned out that we had all seen a lot of it as it went on for a long time before the match.

I remember that all of us were taken aback by the fighting because none of us had been expecting it, so we were not aware of any ill feeling beforehand, but it was definitely there and the way the jacks were waiting for us must have been pre planned.
    Fair enough I stand corrected.
    I was going off what older relatives had said. They used to tell me that they would cheer if they announced Swansea and Newport were winning at half time. Must have been earlier than 1980

that the sides have met 56 times in the league & neither side has ever done the league double over the other!
    I seem to remember this fact was well publicised the last time we were in the premier and we won the first fixture.

I've been watching since 1957 and always considered the Jacks our biggest rivals. I went to the Vetch a few times when there was no segregation and there was a lot of banter but no violence.
    However, when we were at home and half time scores were read out I only remember cheers if Swansea were losing. The opposite for Newport who actually were cheered if they were winning - their hatred for us never seemed to be reciprocated by us back then and I actually used to watch them occasionally with my father if we were away. As for the Wurzels, I never remember feeling anything about them back then although my dislike has grown over the years

Looking back over the records, we played them 12 times in Division 2 matches between 1957 and 1965 so it was a regular thing when I started watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Looking back over the records, we played them 12 times in Division 2 matches between 1957 and 1965 so it was a regular thing when I started watching.
    I see your point Clive but when I started watching they weren’t an issue in terms of rivalry. This is easily explainable. It’s because you are very old whereas I am just old.

I see your point Clive but when I started watching they weren’t an issue in terms of rivalry. This is easily explainable. It’s because you are very old whereas I am just old.
    Yes, I think it's us lot who are not quite as ancient as Clive (no offence Mr Slumdog!), but old enough to remember that long stretch when we never played them in the league (we played the jacks at Ninian Park a fortnight after I saw my first game in October 63 and then again eighteen months later when we beat them 5-0, but I was only allowed to go to matches accompanied by my dad in those days and he often worked on a Saturday) who are out of step with how City fans feel Rob. I didn't see us play Swansea in the league until I was nearly 24, some sixteen plus years after my first game, so I think it's impossible to see them as our fiercest rivals under circumstances like that.

In those days I think the rivalry was a bit one-sided. My 1st ever match was Swansea v Sunderland, end of season 61/62. 26,000 in the Vetch. They needed a draw to stay up, Sunderland a win to go up, ended 1-1. Biggest cheer of the day was when they announced 'Cardiff City are relegated' [we were being thumped 8-3 at Everton].

Despite this, still don't hate the Swans, but loathe Bristol City. Worked and travelled to and in both cities for years. Always made welcome and had a laugh in Swansea, but in Bristol they hate us, and are, quite franky, a really odd crowd..

Yes I knew that and bang on about it every time we have to play them.
    Personally I’d be happy never ever having to play them in the league again to assuage fears of them breaking this sequence.