+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Go now please Theresa May and............................................

Go now please Theresa May and............................................

take your useless deal and your crappy Trumpesque populism with you! Anyone who saw your pathetic attempts to "connect" with so called ordinary people during the campaign for your pointless and totally unsuccessful, from your point of view, General Election in 2017 must realise that you are not "one of us" and never will be. Hopefully, people will see right through your my way or the high way intransigence and you will not be able to batter Parliament into submission with your unimaginative and dangerous threats and insults.

I can only talk about my own feelings about Parliament's role in the Brexit farce - no doubt others will feel differently, but here's what I think.

I voted to Remain, but my attitude from the moment the result was confirmed was that we should honour the Referendum result and leave the EU with my preference being for what has come to be known as a soft Brexit. I notice that Leave politicians and May loyalists in the Government are now talking as if the ballot paper for the Referendum was not just a straightforward yes or no choice, but it also contained the wording that we should leave the EU on 29 March 2019 in the event of Remain being defeated - I can only say that I never saw any such date on the ballot paper I used when voting.

There is also now talk from some in the May supporting camp who are speaking in terms of a soft Brexit not being what the 17.4 million voted for - excuse my French, but how the f*ck do they know that?

In fact, I would venture to suggest that if remaining in the EU or a second Referendum were removed as options, the overwhelming majority of the 16.1 million who voted to stay in Europe would opt for a soft Brexit and when you add in those from the Leave voters who always favoured such an approach, then you'd have a large majority of the voting public who backed it over the hard Brexit or no deal options.

That is only my opinion, but, if I'm right, then what needs to be said as a result is that the wording on the ballot paper back in 2016 carried an implication that Parliament should be trusted to sort out the fine details of any leaving procedure and deliver it if and when it had agreed that the terms for doing so were in the best interests of the UK. This may be a long, tortuous project but, with the House of Commons being full of people who the public had voted in at least a year after the Referendum (surely anybody whose voting intentions were entirely based on how their MP voted in the Referendum could have found this information out and voted against a Remainer or vice versa?), the public expectation must surely have been that they would eventually deliver a Brexit that the majority could accept?

Yesterday the two leaders of the main parties again showed that they are simply not up to the job at this seminal time in British politics. May's histrionics, delivered in the manner of an officious head mistress lecturing a bunch of twelve year olds, was totally inappropriate and it may just be that she has turned waverers who might have been coming around to voting for her deal into implacable enemies again, but just as bad was Jeremy Corbyn's exit from the meeting of party leaders called by the Prime Minister because Chuka Umunna was there as a representative of the Independent group. Labour under Corbyn are still refusing to send official spokespersons to television shows this week to discuss the day's developments as they appear to me to still be trying to be all things to all men and are ending up being the exact opposite.

Yesterday was desperate in many ways, but in the afternoon I saw speeches in Parliament from the likes of Dominic Grieve, Justine Greening and Hilary Benn which along with the actions of the likes of Yvette Cooper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv_2gM3_xC8 and Oliver Letwin, reaffirmed my faith that there are MPs from both sides of the house who are genuinely trying to find a way out of this mess in a manner which, I believe the majority of people in this country would back.

Re: Go now please Theresa May and............................................

Couldn't agree more Bob.

Will of the people my a**e

And she can take her rubbish dancing with her as well!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There is also now talk from some in the May supporting camp who are speaking in terms of a soft Brexit not being what the 17.4 million voted for - excuse my French, but how the f*ck do they know that?
    The referendum was wonderfully binary (and a complete disaster as a result): the question was to leave or remain in the EU. And 'Soft Brexit' is described as follows by 'The Economist':

"In practice a soft Brexit means staying within both the EU’s single market (like Norway) and its customs union (like Turkey). Soft Brexiteers are willing to be bound by EU rules and tariffs even though Britain will lose any say in making them. They also accept the inevitable consequence that it will be hard, even impossible, for Britain to do any trade deals with third countries."

That position described immediately above is not consistent with the 'Leave the EU' choice opted for by those who voted for Brexit.In fact, due to the simplified binary question posed NO-ONE voted for the halfway house.

**** off may , **** off little island xenophobes who voted to leave , you have fecked this country up for good and are now getting it up the arse and it's what you deserve

Bollocks to the lot of you

Never give a bomb to a clown

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The referendum was wonderfully binary (and a complete disaster as a result): the question was to leave or remain in the EU. And 'Soft Brexit' is described as follows by 'The Economist':

"In practice a soft Brexit means staying within both the EU’s single market (like Norway) and its customs union (like Turkey). Soft Brexiteers are willing to be bound by EU rules and tariffs even though Britain will lose any say in making them. They also accept the inevitable consequence that it will be hard, even impossible, for Britain to do any trade deals with third countries."

That position described immediately above is not consistent with the 'Leave the EU' choice opted for by those who voted for Brexit.In fact, due to the simplified binary question posed NO-ONE voted for the halfway house.
    I’m all for staying in the customs union (like Turkey) if it means l can open a market stall selling fake designer bags and tee shirts

All I know without a government with a thumping majority were never going to agree anything, never mind the useless May deal the other forces are equally self centred and against her it's about personal politics .

Seems Mrs May has realised, or more likely been persuaded about by someone she trusts and respects, the error of her ways in criticising MPs last Wednesday. After a more emollient tone on Thursday, she's now written to MPs apologising for the tone of remarks at PMQs and then in her address to the nations later on Wednesday.

For me, what happened on Wednesday is very revealing. There is no doubt that the Prime Minister is under intense scrutiny and pressure and I believe it is understandable for anyone to occasionally "lose it" under such circumstances. The thing is though, while many would have realised their mistake within minutes and started to work at righting things straight away, Theresa May had more than seven hours between PMQs and her second public appearance of the day to calm herself and try to present herself as a more reasonable figure and yet what we got was, if anything, worse than what was seen earlier.