+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: budget house hunting

Re: budget house hunting

barren

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Tomorrow I will celebrate a year of living in Tynewydd (more or less at the top of the Rhondda Valley). I'm not a great fan of my new doctor's surgery and I think the road links to Cardiff are poor, but, apart from that, I have no regrets at all about upping sticks from Cardiff and the two bedroomed terraced house I bought (which I would say needed about 15 grands worth of work on it when I moved in) cost me 50 thousand pounds.

I'd say to anyone thinking of moving don't be put off by how far away from Cardiff some Valleys towns and villages are - I'm very happy with my move and, although I accept it's a bit of a cliche, my experience is that Valleys people are a bit more friendly than in Cardiff.

That said, I think the way you describe your partner does make me think that she might find it a bit of a culture shock up here - I'm 63, by myself (apart from my dog and cat!) and, although it wasn't always the case, don't need the cosmopolitan and lively social scene you talk of.

One thing I must take issue with you over though is your description of the Valleys as "grey". I've just taken my dog for her early morning walk and it's quite quite a grey and gloomy morning up here, but, even in weather like that, the views and natural surroundings are spectacular - I get the feeling that, as a newcomer not used to living in an area like this, I appreciate this more than the locals who have been here all of their lives.
    Did your cat make his way back home after Paul? I’m from the valleys and when I lived in Cardiff for 2 years I hated it eventually convinced the mrs to move back and although she found it difficult for a bit she now loves it the train station is just around the corner and the bus stop is just outside the house 30 mins to Cardiff, I look at the view outside my house and love it beautiful mountains everywhere as Paul has said the biggest problem is there only 2 ways in and out and when you get to Clydach it’s only one

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    There is a train station in Pontyclyn, which is more or less joined to Llantrisant. Good schools too.

There’s some really nice houses there as well

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    There’s some really nice houses there as well
    Yes. I’m surprised it’s as it is considering it’s got a old village feel to it and is within 30 minutes of Cardiff.

Caerphilly is actually ok too. Some nice cottages.

I think that’s what I’d like to find. A welsh style cottage as close to Cardiff (or a train station) as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    There is a train station in Pontyclyn, which is more or less joined to Llantrisant. Good schools too.
    I just checked the train timetable, and it's 14 minutes by train from Pontyclyn to Cardiff Central. There is a large shopping complex nearby, and it's also near the M4. I'd definitely stick it on your list

I love Barry and live in the waterfront but can't think of anywhere in the waterfront area you'd be able to buy for £100k. You can just about get 2 bed terraced houses but they'd be in the town, Cadaxton and Gibbonsdown areas.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    I love Barry and live in the waterfront but can't think of anywhere in the waterfront area you'd be able to buy for £100k. You can just about get 2 bed terraced houses but they'd be in the town, Cadaxton and Gibbonsdown areas.
    No way is Barry as cheap as the valleys.....

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Did your cat make his way back home after Paul? I’m from the valleys and when I lived in Cardiff for 2 years I hated it eventually convinced the mrs to move back and although she found it difficult for a bit she now loves it the train station is just around the corner and the bus stop is just outside the house 30 mins to Cardiff, I look at the view outside my house and love it beautiful mountains everywhere as Paul has said the biggest problem is there only 2 ways in and out and when you get to Clydach it’s only one
    Funnily enough, my sister e-mailed a Facebook post by someone who lives in my old street in Cardiff with a photo of a black and white cat that had started to turn up in her back garden. When I first looked at it, I thought it could well be Felix, but doubted it was him because I did not know the woman (my old street is quite long and so I figured she must live some way from where I did) and so thought if he was able to travel the 20 miles or so from Tynewydd to Fairwater, it seemed odd that he couldn't go the extra few hundred yards to where he used to live (he originally lived with my neighbour). When I dug out a photo of Felix though, I was reminded of a small black spot he had on his face and this cat did not have one, so there's no point me making a journey down to Cardiff to see the lady who posted the message.

Felix will have been gone a year in about a fortnight's time and, realistically, I'm not going to see him again - all I can hope is that he has found someone who is looking after him well.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Bit of a shithole? I feel the same way about most of South Wales. But I think it’s probably just a familiarity thing.

I actually know a couple from Bilbao who’ve been in Cardiff for 15 years.

Maybe that’s the trick, only get somewhere in the City itself.
    No, Barry is not a shithole at all. In fact, parts of it are beautiful. It's just not Bilbao.