In there most lunchtimes

Re: Potential"off" this evening..

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Almost
    Can’t remember the name of the pub in the Trowbridge estate

In there most lunchtimes
    The Newbridge? still there i think.

In my days in Glan Ely, a “meet” was arranged near the Dutch barn between 10 of us and 10 from Glyn Derw. We showed up, they bottled it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    St Albans went to St Iltyds as did St Cadocs when i was there. It was St Peters, St Joes, Christ the King (Softies) and a smattering from St Philip Evans in Llanedeyrn as well as a fair few whose parents had paid for a private junior school education and then came over to State for secondary Education.
    I’m talking the mid 60s, just after the 11 plus was stopped. Tony is an old duffer the 11 plus was still going just after the war🤪🤪🤪

I'm 46. I played outside half for the school and inside centre or fullback for Cardiff Schools for the first three years of high school, was also playing for cardiff schools in football. I enjoyed playing rugby but didn't understand the rules to well, i was quite quick and had a beast of a left foot so most of the time i just booted the ball and got the winger to chase down the fullback, didn't even get my shorts dirty!
    Yeah, 3 years younger.
    Outside half, no surprise.

Pace can help you be a success in so many sports.

I could kick for miles, could kick a penalty from the 10 metre line at 16 but the teachers told us not to kick and I never got asked as it was always the outside half who got to do it

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    When you say Rumney High, do you mean, Caer Castell or Ball Road ?????

We used to get on with Caer Castell, in the 60’s, even used to go to their youth club on Friday nights.

Ball Road, now that was a different kettle of fish

Did see the best fight ever there on one Friday night!!! Two girls, ripped each other shreads Tits everywhere
    Caer Castell became Rumney High, as it was when I attended it. Ball Road was always Llanrumney High, and we had regular run ins with Illtyds but whenever a regular murmur went around that Ball Road were coming up, there were a few arses twitching.

The long lane between Rumney High and Illtyds was often like no man's land.

Gawd knows what happened when they eventually merged Rumney High and Llanrumney High to become Eastern High School!!

Now the entire site has been bulldozed sadly, or not, depending on your memories.

I would've absolute loved one last look around the whole place before the demolition took place. So many memories which still crack me up today when I think of them.

ex rumney high here and sad to see my old school being demolished as mentioned

as for the runs with the illtts boys was a yearly thing with snow ball fights in the winter and the summer months was a constant battle along Newport road

our age group we had maccers on our side whilst the green bottles had dave bishop on theres . what a lethal combination

great memories winning the school tennis and chess competitions in year 5 , still got the trophys !

International

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    When I was at St Iltyds it didn’t happen in my year. There was a bland indifference to each other. Probably because the majority of us Ilts didn’t live in Llanrumney/Rumney so had no cause for beef with Rumney High.

But I’ve heard at other times it’s fkared up. I think as I hated St iltyds so much I had no interest in fighting for it 😃

When I was at St David’s 6th form college though I was prepared to die for them as Port Talbot 6th form seconds football team found out on e day in 1993...😉😂😂
    You mean you did? miraculous!!!!! (Only playing, honest)

International

St Albans went to St Iltyds as did St Cadocs when i was there. It was St Peters, St Joes, Christ the King (Softies) and a smattering from St Philip Evans in Llanedeyrn as well as a fair few whose parents had paid for a private junior school education and then came over to State for secondary Education.
    The boys who passed the second part of the 11+ went to St Illtyd's and the ones that only passed the first part went to Lady Mary, and the second level passers there was no room for in St Illtyd's.

But don't forget the boys from St Mary's in Canton, st Patrick's in Grangetown, holy Family in Fairwater, and the catholic bay boys who all went to St Illtyd's too. and boys from Newport and Cwmbran. A real cosmopolitan place it was even nearly 60 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The boys who passed the second part of the 11+ went to St Illtyd's and the ones that only passed the first part went to Lady Mary, and the second level passers there was no room for in St Illtyd's.

But don't forget the boys from St Mary's in Canton, st Patrick's in Grangetown, holy Family in Fairwater, and the catholic bay boys who all went to St Illtyd's too. and boys from Newport and Cwmbran. A real cosmopolitan place it was even nearly 60 years ago.
    Yep, the 11plus was scrapped around 1964. A 13 plus was introduced, whereas you went to Lady Mary, Bishop Hannon or Mostyn until form 2, then, if passed went on to St Illtyds or Heathfield House. This was then scrapped and my year was the first year that stayed in Lady Mary for the duration, it was maybe that time senior schools changed from Grammar/Secondary to the all encompassing Comprehensive. Eventually the boy/girl segregation ceased and ‘heaven forbid’ 😂 St Illtyds had to accept girls due to the demise of Heathfield House. Not sure on this point but was this the situation that ended the Brothers/Nuns stranglehold as they weren’t allowed to teach the opposite sex?

International

I was taught by Nuns in st Mary's but I suppose at that age it was deemed not to matter so much. I found they were always very fair. (Knowing what we do now about some in the Church maybe it would have made more sense to keep the Monks (Christian brothers actually) away from the boys and the nuns away from the girls ) Off to hide again...

I was taught by Nuns in st Mary's but I suppose at that age it was deemed not to matter so much. I found they were always very fair. (Knowing what we do now about some in the Church maybe it would have made more sense to keep the Monks (Christian brothers actually) away from the boys and the nuns away from the girls ) Off to hide again...
    Yep, you’re correct they could teach either sex at primary level if memory serves

You mean you did? miraculous!!!!! (Only playing, honest)
    When I say die for them I meant kicking the opposing full back and scoring a glorious winner..😂..(it must have been from all of two yards like Ollie S in champions league final for Man Utd 😃)

And we gave them the V sign from our coach whilst we got the very cool srive roe play ‘Appetite for Destruction’ on way home.

Pint down the Claude...great great days!!