+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppose it is Warnock - hypothetical scenario that needs an answer

Suppose it is Warnock - hypothetical scenario that needs an answer

Suppose Warnock returns. Suppose we stay up. There's an important question - what happens then? Staying up is important but there has to be a longer term view beyond that.

I think we can say with some surety that Tan isn't going to be spending much, so the likelihood is that we're stuck with most of this season's squad for next season.

Does he get another contract?

Does he leave at the end of the season, when we'd be looking for yet another manager to get something out of the same group of players?

What is the plan? There has to be one. Looking at it solely from the point of view that the plan is to stay up and nothing else matters is simply short sighted.

Re: Suppose it is Warnock - hypothetical scenario that needs an answer

We should have got rid of him when he got us promoted. If he comes, he's here for one reason only. If he gets it done, thank you very much and goodbye.

Yes, this is exactly my issue also. Staying up is obviously the priority, but another short term hire doesn't solve any of the issues around the club. Especially given we can't pay a fee for anybody for the next few windows. We will just be in a worse situation next season again. Maybe Warnock can come back and save us for a third time, wonder how much it will cost to have him on a retainer.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We should have got rid of him when he got us promoted. If he comes, he's here for one reason only. If he gets it done, thank you very much and goodbye.
    Totally agree with this.

If he can come and save us from the drop, brilliant, it gives the club time to plan another appointment and a manager a proper transfer window and a pre-season to mould a team (not that I have much faith in them doing it).

But the priority has to be staying up, us going down would be a disaster and the club need to do anything to give us the best chance of staying up.

I can see him getting more than a few months.
    Not much point in him coming for that long.

From what Warnock himself has said lately in the press, he doesn't want to be doing years at this stage.

I reckon he'd be happy to do 18 months though.

The problem with that is the fact that it doesn't really suit us. He'd be coming for the money, would undoubtedly neglect the youth system in place, and would cost us a pretty packet.

I suspect we'd be putting him up in a hotel as he's not going to want to be house hunting etc.

I agree that the rest of the season would be it for me at best, but he may well hold out for 18 months, otherwise it all seems a bit pointless him relocating etc at this point. We'd be talking now until May, it's a lot of hassle for such a short appointment.

If he comes then it must be a water tight contract until May

His job to keep us in the championship

If he does that he gets a bonus

Then we look for a long term appointment

It's no more complicated than that

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

I agree completely.
    I just can't see him coming here for what, 4-5 months?
    I reckon he'd want another year and therein lies the problem.
    If he wants to come here til the end of the season with an incentive based contract then f*ck it, do it.
    I just reckon he's got 18 months in his head judging by some of what he's said recently.

He's made it clear he doesn't want "years", but I reckon he'll want more than 4-5 months.

He probably wants one more go at the purse strings in June/July.

Possibly but we’d have had to spend an awful lot of money for another manager to have a chance. We were really, really close to doing it but in hindsight he should have gone when we went down. I don’t want to be that guy but if Sala had landed, I think we’d have stayed up and Warnock would have rode off into the sunset a hero

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    I agree completely.
    I just can't see him coming here for what, 4-5 months?
    I reckon he'd want another year and therein lies the problem.
    If he wants to come here til the end of the season with an incentive based contract then f*ck it, do it.
    I just reckon he's got 18 months in his head judging by some of what he's said recently.

He's made it clear he doesn't want "years", but I reckon he'll want more than 4-5 months.

He probably wants one more go at the purse strings in June/July.
    Neil Warnock loves money. Tan will pay him a lot of it to keep us up. It’s that simple

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Neil Warnock loves money. Tan will pay him a lot of it to keep us up. It’s that simple
    Would you be happy then, to pay him a shit-load of cash for 18 months and sanction his wheeling and dealing in the summer?

Would you be happy then, to pay him a shit-load of cash for 18 months and sanction his wheeling and dealing in the summer?
    I’m just answering your quesition. Warnock would take the job because he loves money. I bet Tan pays him, “Blackie” and “Jeppo” a million quid to keep us up

We can’t spend any money, either.

we could always get a new young coach in, give him the summer transfer market and let his buy players to change our style from " old fashioned " to something a little more modern

I think people have got to put aside their dislike of warnock for the task in hand

We are running out of games

We don't have money to splash around

We need an experienced manager to stop us from getting relegated

I think Warnock is a little englander Maggie Thatcher tory boy and he's a chance but ....

He's a superb motivator and man manager and gets results

He's a short term option and the club must ensure that once may comes he is away from the first team

But warnock or a similar type of manager is what we need

We simply havnt got the time to mess about and analyse patterns of play and style

I think people have got to put aside their dislike of warnock for the task in hand

We are running out of games

We don't have money to splash around

We need an experienced manager to stop us from getting relegated

I think Warnock is a little englander Maggie Thatcher tory boy and he's a chance but ....

He's a superb motivator and man manager and gets results

He's a short term option and the club must ensure that once may comes he is away from the first team

But warnock or a similar type of manager is what we need

We simply havnt got the time to mess about and analyse patterns of play and style
    There's a whole plethora of issues with Warnock coming back, but here's another...
    How many of our current crop would actually want him back? How many did he upset last time he was here?
    I'm thinking more of the younger players of course, but I'm sure quite a few wouldn't want him here.

Fvck warnock I don't want him anywhere near my club.
    Narcissist

Possibly but we’d have had to spend an awful lot of money for another manager to have a chance. We were really, really close to doing it but in hindsight he should have gone when we went down. I don’t want to be that guy but if Sala had landed, I think we’d have stayed up and Warnock would have rode off into the sunset a hero
    I don't think any manager would have done a much better job than Warnock that season considering how little we spent on transfer fees and player wages. I'm pretty sure we were the only club in the Premier League with a weekly wage bill under £1m. Only Huddersfield were spending anything close to us on wages and look what happened to them.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I don't think any manager would have done a much better job than Warnock that season considering how little we spent on transfer fees and player wages. I'm pretty sure we were the only club in the Premier League with a weekly wage bill under £1m. Only Huddersfield were spending anything close to us on wages and look what happened to them.
    No manager keeps us up with Peltier, Harris and Cunningham etc getting regular minutes. It was really odd how he spent the money we did have though. Murphy I get but Reid is the least Warnock like player I’ve ever seen

Just a quick 4 month job to keep us up then he can get back to his poetry.

In our current position and what we can realistically get, he is our best chance of staying up. I think that’s fairly undeniable, regardless of what people think of his past here.

but Reid is the least Warnock like player I’ve ever seen
    we only had a small-ish pool of players to pick from though, the USM pool

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    we only had a small-ish pool of players to pick from though, the USM pool
    Don't think Reid is USM. Tomlin was though.

There's a whole plethora of issues with Warnock coming back, but here's another...
    How many of our current crop would actually want him back? How many did he upset last time he was here?
    I'm thinking more of the younger players of course, but I'm sure quite a few wouldn't want him here.
    Like who? Colwill and Davies didn’t break through under Harris either.
    We had Bennett at left back who was better than Bagan (and no other manager has trusted him really either).

Not sure any can feel hard done by?

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Like who? Colwill and Davies didn’t break through under Harris either.
    We had Bennett at left back who was better than Bagan (and no other manager has trusted him really either).

Not sure any can feel hard done by?
    Colwill and Davies, along with Bagan, all probably feel much aggrieved to be fair.
    Almost zero opportunities for any of them.
    If W*nker comes back, none of them will be getting a chance any time soon either.

On one hand, the jury is still out on all of them anyway. On the other, there's the whole debate about how Colin treats youth in general.

We're not a club with tens of millions to spend. We may well need to utilize all three, and maybe others too.

No chance of that under Colin, he'll have his hands in Tan's wallet via Mehmet.

Colwill and Davies, along with Bagan, all probably feel much aggrieved to be fair.
    Almost zero opportunities for any of them.
    If W*nker comes back, none of them will be getting a chance any time soon either.

On one hand, the jury is still out on all of them anyway. On the other, there's the whole debate about how Colin treats youth in general.

We're not a club with tens of millions to spend. We may well need to utilize all three, and maybe others too.

No chance of that under Colin, he'll have his hands in Tan's wallet via Mehmet.
    What are you on about? Bagan and Davies had only just turned 18 when Warnock left the club and Colwill was still 17.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Suppose Warnock returns. Suppose we stay up. There's an important question - what happens then? Staying up is important but there has to be a longer term view beyond that.

I think we can say with some surety that Tan isn't going to be spending much, so the likelihood is that we're stuck with most of this season's squad for next season.

Does he get another contract?

Does he leave at the end of the season, when we'd be looking for yet another manager to get something out of the same group of players?

What is the plan? There has to be one. Looking at it solely from the point of view that the plan is to stay up and nothing else matters is simply short sighted.
    There is little point in asking this question as the only person who could answer it is Vincent Tan and he is not prepared to share any vision that he likely does not possess. It's a shambles. He had been a good owner on the whole in terms of supporting us financially, but his football knowledge is desperate and he hasn't learnt on the job. Simply, there is no plan!

But where's the longer term view? What happens after? Who do we bring in? It's the same questions as we're asking now, but kicked 6 months down the line.