+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'Caliburn'

Re: 'Caliburn'

Sorry to hear this. RIP Cal
    synonymous with the man

R-I-P Sir Cal. One of the original posters from the start of this messageboard back in the days of 56k modem

He was one of us and a thoroughly witty bloke. RIP Caliburn.

Very sad news.

Cal (Clive) was one of the true greats of this board - a man of wit and wisdom, and a gentleman in the best and broadest sense.

I enjoyed his book and a number of PM exchanges over the years.

He hasn't posted for a while but he was loved, respected and will be missed. RIP Cal.

The Foxglove Sun - Clive Menadue

Sad news.

I always found his posts entertaining. He had a lovely way of writing that was witty and gentle at the same time.

R.I.P

R.I.P. fellow bluebird

Around 12 years ago it was by pure chance that I discovered that Clive lived a minute's walk around the corner from me. He was having a break from this board due to ill health and I thought he might appreciate me printing out the substantial amount of goodwill messages posters had written. For the next couple of years I called around to see him regularly - each visit would take well over an hour where he mainly talked about Bing! I even got to hear a recording of him singing a Crosby number of which he was rather proud. He was an entertaining host who could make any subject sound interesting and I still have a very old club badge that he gave me. Moving some distance away meant we ultimately lost contact.

A true gent in every sense of the word and a good friend. RIP Clive.

Do remember his posts.

RIP Bluebird. Condolences to friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by royalewithcheese View Post
    Many of you who have been on this messageboard a while will have very fond memories of a former contributor who was pretty outstanding in his wit and dignity. Clive Menadue passed away last Friday. I could say 'unfortunately', but he wouldn't want that. He was well ready having suffered long and hard with worsening Parkinson's to the point he could barely stand on his own two feet and only had brief windows of comprehension. His equally ageing wife, Sylvia, was stoic and loving throughout, but for the last few months he simply had to be transferred to East Glam hospital where on a caring ward, after a three-day coma, he finally found rest. Or, rather, a celestial messageboard perchance wherein to build his castle with Bing Crosby crooning from the turrets and Cardiff City pennants blowing in the wind. Farewell, old friend.

By his own request he is bowing out quietly. Just Margam Crematorium next Friday at 11 a.m. He was 86.
    Very sorry to hear this news, remember him well and an amazing guy and contributor. Sent himChampionship Manager around 10/11 years ago as he wanted to try the game. RIP Cal, you really were a good ‘un.

R.I.P Bluebird.

One of the great posters, the messagboard has been a poorer place without him posting these last few years RIP Cal

RIP Cal

Caliburn was one of an increasingly rare breed in that he wanted to debate in a non-confrontational way and also added a gentle sense of humour to the board.

I recall he started posting less when the board started becoming more aggressive as posters felt they needed to become more extreme to get their views across.

His wit and charm is sadly now gone forever but he made me laugh on many occasions with his tales of St Johns Wood. That wit and humour is what I and many others will remember him for.

RIP Caliburn

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Sent himChampionship Manager around 10/11 years ago as he wanted to try the game.
    Lol, I remember him talking about that! All I'll say is that computers weren't his forte...

He seemed a lovely guy from his postings on here. A real gent.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Around 12 years ago it was by pure chance that I discovered that Clive lived a minute's walk around the corner from me. He was having a break from this board due to ill health and I thought he might appreciate me printing out the substantial amount of goodwill messages posters had written. For the next couple of years I called around to see him regularly - each visit would take well over an hour where he mainly talked about Bing! I even got to hear a recording of him singing a Crosby number of which he was rather proud. He was an entertaining host who could make any subject sound interesting and I still have a very old club badge that he gave me. Moving some distance away meant we ultimately lost contact.

Fair play, I've been reading this board for years and don't often post but I can remember Cal's posts, he came across as a proper gent, the kind you don't see enough of nowadays.

Best wishes to all friends and family who had the pleasure to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

That’s a great story. RIP Caliburn.

Sad news. Clive was a lovely man.

I hadn't been posting on this board for too long before 'Cal' sent me a private message and asked for my home address. He said he liked my writing style, especially enjoyed my posts on the history of the club and had some things he wanted me to have. I gave him my address and a couple of days later two old Cardiff City history books arrived in the post, one of which was quite rare. He wouldn't accept any payment for them, but within a few months I was able to pick up a vintage who's who of Football League players from the 1940's and 1950's at a book fair, which I sent to him and he seemed to really appreciate.

For quite a number of years we corresponded fairly often, both by post and PM, and Clive was always a pleasure to talk with. He was especially supportive when I was encountering some quite serious problems with one of the lunatics who used to post here and his words of encouragement back then were a significant help to me.

RIP Clive, a real gentleman.

So sad to hear this news. Though we never met it was a joy to read his posts and enter into much banter with the velvet penned scribe.

Many times we wrote anecdotes about the Gentlemen's Club in St John's Wood, London; his Castle on the Outer Isles off western Scotland; his mischievous butler; those perky maids and all things Cardiff City.

Cal, you will be missed. RIP mate.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by royalewithcheese View Post
    Many of you who have been on this messageboard a while will have very fond memories of a former contributor who was pretty outstanding in his wit and dignity. Clive Menadue passed away last Friday. I could say 'unfortunately', but he wouldn't want that. He was well ready having suffered long and hard with worsening Parkinson's to the point he could barely stand on his own two feet and only had brief windows of comprehension. His equally ageing wife, Sylvia, was stoic and loving throughout, but for the last few months he simply had to be transferred to East Glam hospital where on a caring ward, after a three-day coma, he finally found rest. Or, rather, a celestial messageboard perchance wherein to build his castle with Bing Crosby crooning from the turrets and Cardiff City pennants blowing in the wind. Farewell, old friend.

By his own request he is bowing out quietly. Just Margam Crematorium next Friday at 11 a.m. He was 86.
    Really sorry to hear that. I used to very much enjoy his posts on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Really sorry to hear that. I used to very much enjoy his posts on here.
    Same here. His stories varied from the personal to outrageous and thoroughly inventive flights of fancy. His serving whenches, along with many who remember him off this board (and the old board, I think) will miss him dearly. RIP Bluebird. One of a kind.

Shame , he was a great poster in my early days of this MB , good knock Sir . R I P

RIP Cal, a true gentleman and fondly remember your good humour.