+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interview with former Swansea advisor

Interview with former Swansea advisor

https://differentgame.wordpress.com/...mpression=true

I thought this was interesting, must have been frustrating to try to improve things and not have anyone listen

Re: Interview with former Swansea advisor

I think this paragraph in particular applies to what happened at City.

"I think that there are some investors who see the Premier League and other European leagues as cash cows, and they want to get in. But once they’re in, and they realise they don’t know much about the game or how clubs work internally, they place a lot of trust in incumbents. The problem tends to occur not simply when they place trust in incumbents, but when they start to feel comfortable about making decisions perhaps before they ought to. After a while they say, “This is not so difficult, and I can actually make some decisions here.” But they may not be quite ready to do that."

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

I thought this was interesting, must have been frustrating to try to improve things and not have anyone listen
    Good read that. Thanks. Reminded me of ‘Moneyball’ (an excellent book and film - if anyone isnt aware of it) Analytics are going to become much more prevalent I think. Football feels like it’s got quite some journey ahead of it to reach the levels of other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Good read that. Thanks. Reminded me of ‘Moneyball’ (an excellent book and film - if anyone isnt aware of it) Analytics are going to become much more prevalent I think. Football feels like it’s got quite some journey ahead of it to reach the levels of other sports.
    Some clubs are already spending a lot on it but there are still plenty of old school people around who don't buy into it.

Some clubs are already spending a lot on it but there are still plenty of old school people around who don't buy into it.
    Fulham are big on analytics aren't they? I suppose it's like any other aspect of football management in that you have to have the right people doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Fulham are big on analytics aren't they? I suppose it's like any other aspect of football management in that you have to have the right people doing it.
    Not sure about Fulham, possibly.

Most of the elite clubs are spending sizeable amounts on this kind of thing now. Liverpool and man city especially, and Barcelona. But you also need other people in positions of influence to buy into it.
    Arsenal went and bought up an entire company that were doing this a few years ago, but it was rumoured that Wenger wasn't at all interested in any of their recommendations.

Not sure about Fulham, possibly.

Most of the elite clubs are spending sizeable amounts on this kind of thing now. Liverpool and man city especially, and Barcelona. But you also need other people in positions of influence to buy into it.
    Arsenal went and bought up an entire company that were doing this a few years ago, but it was rumoured that Wenger wasn't at all interested in any of their recommendations.
    I only mentioned them because of what the Fulham fan says in this piece Micheal posted on here a few days ago;-

https://www.theguardian.com/football...e_iOSApp_Other

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I only mentioned them because of what the Fulham fan says in this piece Micheal posted on here a few days ago;-

https://www.theguardian.com/football...e_iOSApp_Other
    Id heard that the owner's son had been put in charge of recruitment.
    I think they've mostly signed decent players, but in completely the wrong areas, they failed to strengthen the things that needed strengthening, and they replaced the things that were working well.

What chance did he have with that egomaniac Jenkins in charge.

That useless cúnt is to blame. End of

Id heard that the owner's son had been put in charge of recruitment.
    I think they've mostly signed decent players, but in completely the wrong areas, they failed to strengthen the things that needed strengthening, and they replaced the things that were working well.
    Fulham are big on moneyball, they're just not very good at it. They've signed boat loads of players in the last few seasons and Mitro (who was singed by Jokanovic, and Jokanovic alone) is one of the few that's come off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Fulham are big on moneyball, they're just not very good at it. They've signed boat loads of players in the last few seasons and Mitro (who was singed by Jokanovic, and Jokanovic alone) is one of the few that's come off.
    I doubt you'll find a system that just relies on analytics being successful anywhere in the world.
    It needs to be a blend of data and traditional scouting, and steered towards the type of players that the manager (or DoF) actually needs to make their overall strategy work. To try to impose it on a manager is doomed to fail.

I thought Brentford’s owner has a company that does this and one of the main reason they got rid of the academy

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I thought Brentford’s owner has a company that does this and one of the main reason they got rid of the academy
    Yes, the guy who owns Brentford and fkm in Denmark made his money from a gambling business which uses some similar analysis techniques I think.
    Brentford have been one of the early adopters of this stuff in England, but they also downsized their analytics department significantly a few seasons ago. Think the owner felt they had good enough systems in place and they couldn't justify the extra expense on their income.
    They have been overachieving for years though which takes some doing. They are usually in the bottom 2 or 3 clubs in terms of operating budget, but are usually top half or flirting with playoffs.