+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One Offs Watching The City

Re: One Offs Watching The City

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The Police rushing the length of the Bob Bank to stop Millwall fans attacking the Grange End. Only for their dogs, albeit on leashes, refusing to run with them as they were happier devouring the hot dogs strewn around the ground after the stand had been upturned by the Millwall fans.
    I wish I'd seen that. By far the best anecdote so far.

Leeds at home in the cup when they were better than us (ages ago, I know - 1972?)
    We were all on the Grange End (When it was the huge wooden covered terrace) and we saw them coming in at te far end of the Bobbank.
    We kept our scarves hidden and started chanting "yew-ny-ted" and they all came running towards us to "join their mates"
    When they got near the bob/grange corner, up went our scarves and chants of"ci-ty, ci-ty" as we moved towards them.
    Then they all turned round, falling over themselves to get away with chants of
    "You'll never take the Grange End" ringing around the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Gloucester City away in the FACup. Tannoy announcement came out can all home fans remain in the ground for 10 minutes after the game.
    ahhh, the good old days, I was there. Your post has just reminded me of 'Super' Ray Daniel.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Watching City lose 1-0 at Oxford in what was Derek Showers' first game while stood close by a home fan who spent most of the game singing The First Noel .
    Was that the game the Ron Atkinson and his brother played in?

Mark Hudson actually listening to fans calls to 'shoot' and hoofing it in against Derby from 70 yards...

Sitting in a virtually empty Bob Bank watching a 0-0 with Barnet, rain flooding through a hole in the roof onto two people who refused to move from their ST seats, despite there being thousands of empty seats around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Mark Hudson actually listening to fans calls to 'shoot' and hoofing it in against Derby from 70 yards...
    I was due to present him with the Goal of the Season award but he didn't turn up to the players "do" as his wife was running the London marathon the next morning, so I presented it to Boggy Marshall on his behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Leeds at home in the cup when they were better than us (ages ago, I know - 1972?)
    We were all on the Grange End (When it was the huge wooden covered terrace) and we saw them coming in at te far end of the Bobbank.
    We kept our scarves hidden and started chanting "yew-ny-ted" and they all came running towards us to "join their mates"
    When they got near the bob/grange corner, up went our scarves and chants of"ci-ty, ci-ty" as we moved towards them.
    Then they all turned round, falling over themselves to get away with chants of
    "You'll never take the Grange End" ringing around the ground.
    me and my mate got on to the Grange end via the sloper Road entrance in the early 70s it was about 2pm and I thought wow there are loads here early, blue and white scarves shouting city. We went to join them but left for the bob Bank rather rapidly when they started chanting Leicester!!! They didn't last long they soon got scattered by city fans not long before kick off and we were surrounded by them again on the bob Bank. No big trouble though.

International

Watching Mel Charles on the pitch at NP combing his hair!

Rob Earnshaw scoring at Hartlepool in the late 90s and one of our travelling numpties runs on the pitch to celebrate, not noticing a goal post and duly knocks himself spark out on it, holding the game up for about 10 minutes.

Gabbiadini scoring an absolute wonder-goal against us, and everyone clapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Gabbiadini scoring an absolute wonder-goal against us, and everyone clapping.
    Playoffs v Northampton?

Edit - Bit later than our playoff with Northampton, early 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Playoffs v Northampton?

I thought is was 1990s but maybe not. Or I may be thinking of a different goal. Hell of a strike, in any event. And on that subject of one off wondergoals: fan zihiyi smashing one in from about 35 yards out in a reserve game.

See also: jimmy Gardner doing a very respectable impression of a professional footballer and getting a brace against Wigan.

Don Murray nutting Jimmy McLaughlin when we were three up in the Welsh Cup, off went Don & the Jacks won 5-3, cant be many times that we’ve chucked away a 3-0 lead and never against them. As for Don sticking the head on an opponent perhaps that’s not a one off🤪

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Don Murray nutting Jimmy McLaughlin when we were three up in the Welsh Cup, off went Don & the Jacks won 5-3, cant be many times that we’ve chucked away a 3-0 lead and never against them. As for Don sticking the head on an opponent perhaps that’s not a one off��
    Don Murray’s pelanty (can’t remember who against), is it still in orbit

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    God, yes, who the f*ck was it against? Knocked a bulb out of one of the floodlights, didn’t it?

City fan at Burton away last year wins their halftime challenge, sprints the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of our fans and was dragged off by the police

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Playoffs v Northampton?

17 Oct 2002. He scored twice in a 2-1 win at Ninian Park. I remember it. Incredible goal. Still, for me, not as good as an Earnshaw strike against Stoke where he controlled it on his shoulder and unleashed a volley from 30 yards. Had that been in the Premier League, that would have been shown time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The Police rushing the length of the Bob Bank to stop Millwall fans attacking the Grange End. Only for their dogs, albeit on leashes, refusing to run with them as they were happier devouring the hot dogs strewn around the ground after the stand had been upturned by the Millwall fans.
    Lassy moment

Remember Super Don's rugby tackle on SuperMac , think he was a Luton player at the time I think?

Don Murray nutting Jimmy McLaughlin when we were three up in the Welsh Cup, off went Don & the Jacks won 5-3, cant be many times that we’ve chucked away a 3-0 lead and never against them. As for Don sticking the head on an opponent perhaps that’s not a one off��
    Yes, watched that one, we lost after extra time

Going to the Welsh Soccer Sixes (1966?) and throughout the day ended up watching games from every part of the ground, including both enclosures, the press box and the Grand Stand - the only time I ever went in that old Grand Stand.

Don Murray pulling down Malcolm Mac Donald’s shorts, to stop him running in on goal

No sending off, either !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Remember Super Don's rugby tackle on SuperMac , think he was a Luton player at the time I think?
    From page 1

God, yes, who the f*ck was it against? Knocked a bulb out of one of the floodlights, didn’t it?
    Dynamo Berlin.

Holding on for a 0-0 draw at Cambridge playing for the last 30 mins with 8 men after Ellery sent three off with Ritchie Humphries hitting the crossbar when we were down to 9

Actually, six years earlier in March 1960 we were 3-0 up against them at The Vetch with half an hour to go but ended up drawing 3-3. They scored three in seven minutes with ex City player Brayley Reynolds scoring twice.