+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC - Sala pilot not qualified to fly at night.

BBC - Sala pilot not qualified to fly at night.

This allegation has been around for a while, but this story has a ring of truth to it for me - this is getting very messy and I can't help feeling there is still quite a bit more to come.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47749265

Re: BBC - Sala pilot not qualified to fly at night.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    This allegation has been around for a while, but this story has a ring of truth to it for me - this is getting very messy and I can't help feeling there is still quite a bit more to come.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47749265
    Does that mean insurance is void? And mackay organised it?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    What it means is that the pilot took off in full knowledge of the fact that he was not qualified to pilot the plane.

Even I had a night rating when I had my PPL.

So he flew into awful weather when he should never have been in the air. Poor Emiliano ... what a waste of a young life.

Does that mean insurance is void?
    What insurance? Has it been confirmed there was any?

Probably, yes, and yes. I suppose it's a bit like letting an uninsured individual drive your car who then writes it off. No insurance co. will pay out on that..

That BBC graph illustrates how terrifying their last minutes were.
    It is all so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    What insurance? Has it been confirmed there was any?
    Guess it depends if the Premier League had accepted the contract. If they had

And also whether he is considered a Cardiff City player, in which case he’d be covered by City’s policy.

If not then he’d be under Nantes.

This is most probably where the dispute over the contract lies. Who’s insurance is liable.

Not sure it would ever be ‘confirmed ‘ anyway.

Really it’s no one else’s business and I just wish it was all kept between the clubs and their advisors and insurers.

Can’t see what good it does anybody to have this all dragged up week after week in public

Must be very upsetting for the families

Taking all emotion out of it, if the pilot flew without licience then he is liable.
    With him gone, then I guess the estate will be sued?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Taking all emotion out of it, if the pilot flew without licience then he is liable.
    Wasn't it reported earlier that he only took the job because he was skint?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Was wondering this. Would it be the pilot carrying it out rather than the person who booked or paid the flight?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Was wondering this. Would it be the pilot carrying it out rather than the person who booked or paid the flight?
    Or the person who invited or instructed him to take the flight! (Henderson?)
    But the only person who could say the flight would take place was the pilot. If he said it was unsafe it wouldn't have happened. It appears that Ibbitson flew the plane knowing full well that he was incompetent to make the journey, so I'd imagine that when everything is considered the basic fault will still lie with him.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But the only person who could say the flight would take place was the pilot. If he said it was unsafe it wouldn't have happened. It appears that Ibbitson flew the plane knowing full well that he was incompetent to make the journey, so I'd imagine that when everything is considered the basic fault will still lie with him.
    Agreed, and if he was acting on instruction from McKay who was representing Sala and Nantes then Ccfc are right to withhold payment until liability is confirmed

There's nothing new in this article.

Why on earth has BBC Wales decided to allow these two reporters to waste their time with this article.

The timing is appalling too. We've had no game for weeks and yet they release it a day before an important home game to Chelsea.

Why?

Who invalidates the insurance , pilot , passenger , airline owner ,agent , clubs ??

I'm guessing this will go to mediation ,you can see why the club have not released any money , it could be considered as admitting liability ?

I wonder if this will come down to FIFA mediation and a new value of the player found , rather than the inflated one that was finally agreed on .

I don't want to speak ill of the dead but flying with a trusting passenger at night when you're not just unqualified to do so but actually prohibited because of your colourblindness is pretty awful

That's why I have had no sympathy for Ibbottson. Yes, he's dead and his body never likely to be found. I feel for his family.

However, he made the choice to fly knowing his limitations. That's his risk to take if he was flying alone. Sadly Sala didn't have that information, otherwise he would have likely said no to flying that night with Ibbottson and he would still be alive and banging in some goals for Cardiff.

When Sala allegedly asked for the flight to be rescheduled to him wanting to say goodbye to his former teammates, this is where the investigation will lie.

Ibbottson may have been fine for the day flight arranged for 9am, but once the flight needed to be rescheduled then those arranging that need to be accountable.

Clearly Cardiff were not involved and presumably neither were Nantes.

That leaves the McKays, Ibbottson and anyone else involved. What documentation did Ibbottson provide to the French airport for him to fly at night without that licence? Was there falsification?

Whatever the findings, I seriously hope that lessons will be learned in aviation circles and the footballing world.

A totally unnecessary waste of a young life.

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    That's why I have had no sympathy for Ibbottson. Yes, he's dead and his body never likely to be found. I feel for his family.

However, he made the choice to fly knowing his limitations. That's his risk to take if he was flying alone. Sadly Sala didn't have that information, otherwise he would have likely said no to flying that night with Ibbottson and he would still be alive and banging in some goals for Cardiff.

When Sala allegedly asked for the flight to be rescheduled to him wanting to say goodbye to his former teammates, this is where the investigation will lie.

Ibbottson may have been fine for the day flight arranged for 9am, but once the flight needed to be rescheduled then those arranging that need to be accountable.

Clearly Cardiff were not involved and presumably neither were Nantes.

That leaves the McKays, Ibbottson and anyone else involved. What documentation did Ibbottson provide to the French airport for him to fly at night without that licence? Was there falsification?

Whatever the findings, I seriously hope that lessons will be learned in aviation circles and the footballing world.

A totally unnecessary waste of a young life.
    I can answer the documentation provided to the French authorities question.
    He might have been required to show his current licence on arrival often this is a random check.

Pilots fly in pay a landing fee and fly out.

The French authorities have no zip zero responsibility here.
    The pilot is in charge and files and follows a flight plan.

Only the pilot is in control in private aircraft.

You can take off at your own risk but at best ATC might question the advisability in adverse weather conditions at take off.

Why on earth has BBC Wales decided to allow these two reporters to waste their time with this article.

The timing is appalling too. We've had no game for weeks and yet they release it a day before an important home game to Chelsea.

Why?
    It was on national radio 1st thing this morning....

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    A bloke facing multiple ccj’s apparently, won’t have been doing such a dangerous flight for free that’s for sure. He needed the cash and was obviously going to be well paid for it by whoever organised it, be that the slimy agent or the invisible man Henderson. Whatever, in respect of Sala it would be great if they could sort it out not in the media until it’s sorted. Too much to ask in this messed up world we now live in, a country run by clowns.....

Why?

I was thinking this....bbc wales run by the egg brigade remember.....club rugby dying on its knees and we get more fans in than all the rugby clubs in South Wales put together....

The bit of the article I find strange is "In their preliminary report, the AAIB said that because Mr Ibbotson's pilot licence and log book had been lost in the crash, it had not yet been able to establish what ratings he held or how many hours he had flown recently - although it was known he had completed approximately 3,700 flying hours."

How does the AAIB know that Ibbotson's pilot licence and log book have been lost in the crash? Who's to say he didn't have them on him or on the aircraft at the time of the crash. Could they possibly be at his home, or elsewhere perhaps?

International

[QUOTE=Mr Soul '68;4962959]The bit of the article I find strange is "In their preliminary report, the AAIB said that because Mr Ibbotson's pilot licence and log book had been lost in the crash, it had not yet been able to establish what ratings he held or how many hours he had flown recently - although it was known he had completed approximately 3,700 flying hours."

How does the AAIB know that Ibbotson's pilot licence and log book have been lost in the crash? Who's to say he didn't have them on him or on the aircraft at the time of the crash. Could they possibly be at his home, or elsewhere perhaps?[/

I don’t blame the pilot, I blame the person who booked him,

Quote Originally Posted by Fulham traveller View Post
    I don’t blame the pilot, I blame the person who booked him,
    Let’s hope the police do too.....

Sounds like Ibbotson was desperate for the work although he may have felt obliged to do the job because hadn't he had his accommodation etc paid for by Henderson? Sounds like the bloke was put into a situation that he may have felt was difficult to get out of and decided to chance it, He must have been desperate, stupid or both. As soon as Sala decided to delay the flight it should've stopped. I also find it very odd that the club didn't enforce their preferred travel arrangements on Sala. During contract negotiations there would have been demands and stipulations put in place by both parties, some quite detailed. The Club were prepared to pay 15 million for him yet gave him the option on his travel arrangements and it seems that when he refused the offer of a charter flight there wasn't a great deal of interest in how he was going to get to Cardiff. All of the effort with scouting, negotiations, contracts etc and no stipulation on travel arrangements (or Delivery if you want to be clinical) for a 15 million pound asset. The flight and mode of transport should've been questioned by the club. It would be interesting to find out whether other clubs have some kind of policy involved with travel arrangements for players.