+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BBC - Sala pilot not qualified to fly at night.

Re: BBC - Sala pilot not qualified to fly at night.

[QUOTE=xsnaggle;4962965]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    The bit of the article I find strange is "In their preliminary report, the AAIB said that because Mr Ibbotson's pilot licence and log book had been lost in the crash, it had not yet been able to establish what ratings he held or how many hours he had flown recently - although it was known he had completed approximately 3,700 flying hours."

How does the AAIB know that Ibbotson's pilot licence and log book have been lost in the crash? Who's to say he didn't have them on him or on the aircraft at the time of the crash. Could they possibly be at his home, or elsewhere perhaps?[/
    Does the pilot himself fill in the paperwork himself? You’d have thought there’d be a third party involved verifying the entries with copies available in anticipation of accidents like this. If every pilot carried his paperwork on his person on every flight on the rare occasion of a tragedy like this all paperwork would always be lost, that’s mad.

Club statement: "Cardiff City is shocked to hear the pilot, David Ibbotson, may not have been permitted to fly at night. The club remains deeply concerned that the pilot, and those who arranged the flight, seemingly completely disregarded the rules of flying and put Mr Sala’s life in such danger.

"We believe those who are responsible should be held fully accountable for their actions.

"We reiterate our support for the Air Charter Association's call for more awareness of and better enforcement against illegal flights."

I struggle to understand how it’s so difficult to verify details of the pilots license in these days of technology. The police wouldn’t need a hard copy of my DVLA drivers license to establish if I had points on my license or if I was banned, they’d just consult a database! Surely something like this exists for a pilots license too?

Was a club statement necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Was a club statement necessary?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

And also whether he is considered a Cardiff City player, in which case he’d be covered by City’s policy.
    The club is showing poor form if they don't class him as ours.

Happy to parade him about but not pay up.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    The club is showing poor form if they don't class him as ours.

Happy to parade him about but not pay up.
    A bit like today’s result.
    It is out of the clubs hands

It is an insurance matter.
    The insurers handle it. Fact.
    The insured CCFC have no say in the matter.
    If you are properly insured the insurers call ALL the shots.
    The club have no say in it and no legal rights to have any say.
    That’s how it works whatever anyone thinks.

We feel obliged to pay the club might say.
    They will be told. You are insured it is our business not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    A bit like today’s result.
    It is out of the clubs hands

It is an insurance matter.
    The insurers handle it. Fact.
    The insured CCFC have no say in the matter.
    If you are properly insured the insurers call ALL the shots.
    The club have no say in it and no legal rights to have any say.
    That’s how it works whatever anyone thinks.

We feel obliged to pay the club might say.
    They will be told. You are insured it is our business not yours.
    Agree with what you say about the insurance position. However, if we don’t pay the transfer fee due to the reported contract and registration issues then what will we have to claim ? Nothing I assume.

There's a few things hear
    1. Yes the pilot should not have flown at night and by doing so should a lack of care to Sala.

2. Not being able to fly at night ultimately doesn't mean the deaths are his fault

3. The whole transfer saga, I can certainly see why Cardiff are being portrayed in a bad light but ultimately have to ensure they are doing things as legally obliged . Obviously we signed him and he was our played but if there were stipulations put in which haven't been adhered to we would be stupid to pay 15 million. Ultimately I can see why Nantes would be furious but they would have had to agree to the conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Agree with what you say about the insurance position. However, if we don’t pay the transfer fee due to the reported contract and registration issues then what will we have to claim ? Nothing I assume.
    Correct

Insurers
    You are not liable

Club
    But we said he was our player this looks awful the young man is dead

Insurers

You are not liable so we are not paying out on the insurance

Club

What do we do then.

Insurers.

Nothing.

Leave it to us you are not liable.

The problem is football has its own rules for some things and that could well be the case here. Take administration. Football rules say football creditors should be paid first. Something similar may exist regarding paying transfers; if football rules say we have to pay up that may override what insurers want.