Re: Niasse - Is It Just Me ?

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    he's ****ing garbage and I have no idea what he brings to the team
    Comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I thought he was poor.
    What is it with strikers and this club
    It doesn't matter who is in charge we don't have a prolific scorer. The last being Earnshaw.
    Madine, Kurt Nogan, Andy Saville etc
    Bothroyd, Chopra ?

I said a few weeks ago that if he didn't have to take a first or a last touch he would be brilliant.

Unfortunately that is not possible, but I like him and think he would be really good in the Championship. He causes defences all sorts of trouble which somebody else would have to take advantage of.

Not that we are yet in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    He has been an improvement on what we'd seen to date this season, as unlike Paterson he is a striker, unlike Ward he's stayed fit and unlike Zohore he has real pace and gets involved. On the other hand, he still hasn't scored and that is the problem. Camarasa's goal yesterday means he's now our top scorer with 5. You need a bloody miracle or a George Graham defence to stay in the Premier League with stats like that.

It's been said many times before but Warnock hasn't sorted the striking positions. Madine and Bogle have both been busts, Ward can't stay fit and Zohore is a shadow of his former self.
    Personally I think Zohore is quicker.

I also think he’s done really well in his sub appearances and deserves more minutes.

Niasse works hard and causes a bit of chaos, but his control and finishing are poor.

Zohore is fit now and has something to prove.
    I’d say he’s more likely to score than Niasse too

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I think it’s more the way we play that stops our strikers from scoring. I don’t think any of our strikers have missed many chances have they ?
    Niasse could have had a hatful against West Ham

He’s the only player I’ve ever seen who dribbles with his shins, if he does ever score for us it’ll be kneed in or ankled in.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He’s the only player I’ve ever seen who dribbles with his shins, if he does ever score for us it’ll be kneed in or ankled in.
    I said the same on Sat. Sometimes it’s effective mind. A few times he was just an inch or so away from getting through

Zahore is much quicker than Niasse.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Ah but what about Zohore? 🤪🤪

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Ah but what about Zohore? 🤪🤪
    Him as well.

I like the guy but was disappointed with him yesterday. For the first time I didn't think he put in the effort off the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Correct, Niasse isn't quick from what i've seen. Ken can turn a defender and get away from them in a foot race.

He's an absolute mess all told, and like Splott Parker said - if he scores it'll be borderline accidental. But he's quick, can hold it up and beat a man and he consistently makes more of a difference to us upfront than any of the other options. Zohore's essentially a potentially better version of Niasse but doesn't have the mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Since earnie was last our top scorer, way back in 03/04 we have had Jerome, Choora, McCormack , whittingham and bothroyd all scoring more than 20 goals in a season.
    Although it is fair to say that nobody has really come close to doing that again since Dave Jones left.
    It's an interesting point.

Earnshaw scored well over 20 goals in 3 out of 4 seasons before being sold. He would surely have made that 4 out of 4 but injury robbed him of part of the 2001/2 season (when Andy Campbell found his best form). On flogging Earnie, Thorne became our next top scorer while we battled against relegation. Then, as you say, we had Jerome, Chopra, McCormack, Whitts and Chops in the same season and Bothroyd. The only season we didn't have a 20+ goal a season striker under Jones was our FA cup final season when we brought in Fowler and Hasselbaink and ended up relying on Paul Parry!

What is interesting is that there was more reliance under Jones for strikers (or Whitts) to find the net. Well over a third of our goals in most of his seasons came from one player. The only exception to this, other than the cup final year, was his last year in charge, when we scored 76. Scoring 73 and 76 in 2009/10 and 2010/11 haven't been bettered since, though Malky's champions scored 72 despite Helgusson only netting 9 and Warnock's runners-up (though with better points than 2012/13) scored 69. The reason both those sides won promotion was defence - 39 conceded last year and 45 in our title winning season 6 years ago. Jones' sides kept conceding in the mid 50s throughout his tenure - we got better in front of goal but kept letting them in. Surprisingly, Lennie Lawrence's 2004/05 strugglers conceded less goals in a relegation-haunted season than any season under Jones.

It should probably be added that both Warnock and Mackay like strikers and creative attacking players to put in a defensive shift, but sometimes stifles our attacking game. Jones gave his forward players more freedom, which was great in terms of some attacking play, but meant we could be caught out defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's an interesting point.

Earnshaw scored well over 20 goals in 3 out of 4 seasons before being sold. He would surely have made that 4 out of 4 but injury robbed him of part of the 2001/2 season (when Andy Campbell found his best form). On flogging Earnie, Thorne became our next top scorer while we battled against relegation. Then, as you say, we had Jerome, Chopra, McCormack, Whitts and Chops in the same season and Bothroyd. The only season we didn't have a 20+ goal a season striker under Jones was our FA cup final season when we brought in Fowler and Hasselbaink and ended up relying on Paul Parry!

What is interesting is that there was more reliance under Jones for strikers (or Whitts) to find the net. Well over a third of our goals in most of his seasons came from one player. The only exception to this, other than the cup final year, was his last year in charge, when we scored 76. Scoring 73 and 76 in 2009/10 and 2010/11 haven't been bettered since, though Malky's champions scored 72 despite Helgusson only netting 9 and Warnock's runners-up (though with better points than 2012/13) scored 69. The reason both those sides won promotion was defence - 39 conceded last year and 45 in our title winning season 6 years ago. Jones' sides kept conceding in the mid 50s throughout his tenure - we got better in front of goal but kept letting them in. Surprisingly, Lennie Lawrence's 2004/05 strugglers conceded less goals in a relegation-haunted season than any season under Jones.

It should probably be added that both Warnock and Mackay like strikers and creative attacking players to put in a defensive shift, but sometimes stifles our attacking game. Jones gave his forward players more freedom, which was great in terms of some attacking play, but meant we could be caught out defensively.
    Which is why that Dave Jones era is the one I have the best memories of. That 4-0 away win (I think it was 4-0 anyway) at Leeds is the most exciting I’ve ever seen from a City team

I thought he had a good tussle with their German centreback.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Which is why that Dave Jones era is the one I have the best memories of. That 4-0 away win (I think it was 4-0 anyway) at Leeds is the most exciting I’ve ever seen from a City team
    The 6-0 against the Wurzels was pretty exciting mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    The 6-0 against the Wurzels was pretty exciting mind.
    Weird one, as we didn't win, but I immediately thought of Cardiff against Neil Warnock's QPR in 2011 as an exciting memory.
    The best 2 teams in the league (for most of the season, pressures on Norwich) going toe to toe, with Adel Taarabt and Jay Bothroyd both in their pomp