+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: £1 billion to build a football stadium

£1 billion to build a football stadium

That's vanity.

All bank borrowing at 3.7%. That's £37 million pa. just in interest.

Adult season ticket prices range from £795 to £2,200, while under-18s can expect to pay between £397.50 to £562.50

There's a tipping point. When a few thousand suddenly have an 'Emperor's new clothes' moment and suddenly twig they're being conned, it will end in tears..

Re: £1 billion to build a football stadium

I think it was a business decision. And I think it will pay off. Vanity?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    That's vanity.

All bank borrowing at 3.7%. That's £37 million pa. just in interest.

Adult season ticket prices range from £795 to £2,200, while under-18s can expect to pay between £397.50 to £562.50

There's a tipping point. When a few thousand suddenly have an 'Emperor's new clothes' moment and suddenly twig they're being conned, it will end in tears..
    there is no shortage of Spurs fans who can afford that for a season ticket. A few thousand will twig i am sure, but a few more thousand will be ready and waiting to replace them. Of course that doesn't make it right - it should be priced so that most can afford it - but I think we are a long way off the bubble bursting just yet.

Cashless
    We know who you are, where you are, what you are buying, what date, its ok I've nothing to hide .

On every occasion we don't use cash for payment we are tightening the noose around our own necks by hastening the day when it's eliminated and then the money masters, along with their politician stooges, accomplish total financial enslavement for then they will be able to tax (a polite term for legally steal, confiscate, etc) everything they wish at source and silence those they deign are not perfect citizens (i.e. fall short of being compliant, grovelling serfs) with the threat of making their bank account(s) inaccessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    On every occasion we don't use cash for payment we are tightening the noose around our own necks by hastening the day when it's eliminated and then the money masters, along with their politician stooges, accomplish total financial enslavement for then they will be able to tax (a polite term for legally steal, confiscate, etc) everything they wish at source and silence those they deign are not perfect citizens (i.e. fall short of being compliant, grovelling serfs) with the threat of making their bank account(s) inaccessible.

I always read your posts with interest but you seem to be CCMB's version of Fraser in Dad's Army

I went to a local game in Perth last week, new stadium, not sure if it was cashless but everything I bought in the stadium was by card, buying anything in Perth I'm being asked by everyone would I like to pay by card.

Absolutely agree..

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think it was a business decision. And I think it will pay off. Vanity?
    Yes, vanity. Just as the Directors of West Ham didn't like sitting in a 100yr old stadium and would rather appear in all their majesty in a soulless bowl like those soviet leaders watching the Red Square parades ..

Spent time in Sweden last year, took out £20 (equivalent) in cash, was pushed to be able to spend it as everywhere was card payments. Eventually had a Burger King just to get rid of it. Even market stalls all had iZettle card readers. 10kr for the toilets in the station in Stockholm ? On the card. Public transport ? pre-pay on the app, activate the ticket when you want to use it and away you go. Most places in Stockholm now won’t even take cash at all. It’s coming whether we want it or not.

I stopped carrying cash about a decade ago. Just no need for it. I only take it out if I need to put a fiver in someone’s leaving card at work.

If you are worried about anonymity there are ways around that issue. But I’ve no reason to. Card payment is so much simpler and safer.

I hope I’m up Thornhill by the time cash is totally snubbed. I prefer to have notes in my wallet, when they’re gone they’re gone, I notice tipsy youngsters in bars flashing their cards, I dread to think the rude awakening they (or their parents) get when they check their balance when sober, it’s frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I stopped carrying cash about a decade ago. Just no need for it. I only take it out if I need to put a fiver in someone’s leaving card at work.

If you are worried about anonymity there are ways around that issue. But I’ve no reason to. Card payment is so much simpler and safer.

You can’t get discounts with cards !!!!!

Cash is still KING

Not sure card payments are safer, i never had my euros cloned and used to buy flights in the US, Xbox stores in Poland and first class rail tickets in Germany

Being relativity young still, I have always had a very bad relationship with money, always spent whatever I had, from my first part time job in school to my student loan. would spend whatever I had and survive till the next pay cheque usually borrowing of parents, always maxed out my free overdrafts too.

I feel the blame is the new con-tactless culture, where you have no emotional contact with your own cash. (and my own self-discipline)

Anyway a few months ago I started doing some deliveries for a local take-away, and it has been the first time I have dealt with cash. Is has been one of the most important life lessons I have ever had, for the first time actually counting my cash at the end of the night paying the shop their cut and paying my petrol. I sit their with my £40 profit and suddenly that small amount of money is a direct representation of my work.

I have stopped online gambling, I have stopped my casual smoking habit and I have stopped impulsive online transactions on amazon, xbox ect.

Plus, there is nothing more annoying than some prat either getting on a bus and holding everyone up whilst they find a card that works, for £1.80, or the same prat holding up the queue in a shop, for their £1.59p drink and newspaper

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Yes, vanity. Just as the Directors of West Ham didn't like sitting in a 100yr old stadium and would rather appear in all their majesty in a soulless bowl like those soviet leaders watching the Red Square parades ..
    Nothing to do with vanity, it is all about income. Spurs and West ham will massively increase their incomes with these moves and that will help them to compete at a higher level than they currently do. Do you really think that David Levy is the kind of person who would waste £1bn on a vanity project?
    Spurs new stadium looks amazing, crowd are right up close to the pitch and it seems to keep a great atmosphere in.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Plus, there is nothing more annoying than some prat either getting on a bus and holding everyone up whilst they find a card that works, for £1.80, or the same prat holding up the queue in a shop, for their £1.59p drink and newspaper
    It's quicker with contactless.
    London buses don't accept cash any more, and it means that people get on a lot quicker

Cash is still KING
    Of course you do. Cards do cashback (just a phrase for money) on purchases.

Cash is still KING
    Yes you can and no it isn’t.

As regards cloning: if someone does that I get refunded. If someone steals my cash I do not. And if I’m a business, theives can break in and steal my cash but not my credit card receipts.

Hardly need physical cash much myself these days.

Can't be long until beggars carry around those little square cash readers.

C
    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It's quicker with contactless.
    London buses don't accept cash any more, and it means that people get on a lot quicker
    First one, is it bollocks quicker!!!!!! Been behind loads of people when the f ucking card don’t work

As for London transport, we had a man & wife get on a bus and he couldn’t pay for her with his card!!!!!! F ucking joke

C

First one, is it bollocks quicker!!!!!! Been behind loads of people when the f ucking card don’t work

As for London transport, we had a man & wife get on a bus and he couldn’t pay for her with his card!!!!!! F ucking joke
    Of course it's quicker. What world do you live in?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Of course you do. Cards do cashback (just a phrase for money) on purchases.
    Yes you can and no it isn’t.

As regards cloning: if someone does that I get refunded. If someone steals my cash I do not. And if I’m a business, theives can break in and steal my cash but not my credit card receipts.
    Discount, as in I’ll give you cash for that, if you don’t know what that means, I feel sorry for you

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Of course it's quicker. What world do you live in?
    One where I never get stuck at a till because the f ucking card don’t work.