+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If we end up going down

If we end up going down

No-one can say we haven't given things our best shot.

Newcastle (h) - injury time penalty save gives us a point.
    Arsenal (h) - decent performance, Arsenal had more quality when needed.
    Burnley (h) - the one game where we wonder how we didn't win.
    Tottenham (a) - unlucky in some respects.
    Fulham (h) - deserved win.
    Brighton (h) - struggled to break down 10 men and got a bit of luck for the last gasp winner.
    Everton (a) - denied clear penalty for a chance to earn a point.
    Wolves (h) - late wonderstrike wins it.
    Southampton (h) - awful game in the wet won thanks to a mistake.
    Palace (a) - somehow escaped with a point.
    Leicester (a) - another penalty save followed by an injury time worldie.
    Huddersfield (h) - fortunate not to concede a penalty, awful performance and didn't deserve a 0-0.
    Arsenal (a) - missed chances cost us.
    Bournemouth (h) - deserved win.
    Southampton (a) - last gasp winner.
    West Ham (h) - deserved win.
    Chelsea (h) - penalty shouts turned down and no luck in their equaliser.

We've battled hard this season and have, on rare occasions, played some nice football. We've been ahead at half time twice in 32 games. 5 of our 8 wins have come in the last 15 minutes of games, 3 of those in injury time. I make it that we've been fortunate to get results in games far more often than we've been unfortunate, when you consider the penalty saves, the last gasp winners etc.

Last season we showed we couldn't play football particularly well, yet were defensively excellent and had enough quality to provide moments in games to win. If that didn't work, our strength was sometimes enough to force mistakes. We hoped that would work in the PL, and while we're not down yet and are fighting, there's starting to be a sense that we're asking a lot. 3 wins is unlikely to be enough. 11 wins in a season guaranteed safety before this season but it might not for us if we achieved it.

Whatever happens this season, we can be proud of the players, management and everyone at the club, but also we need to acknowledge that change needs to happen next season.

Re: If we end up going down

What change Eric? As you acknowledge it worked well last season and wasn't far off this season.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    What change Eric? As you acknowledge it worked well last season and wasn't far off this season.
    It's ideal in the Championship. It's about keeping the ball a bit better, being a little more inventive in attack and having a bit more quality in the squad. I don't really blame our defence as it's been under siege most of the season.

I thought there were some issues in the run-in last season. After we won 9 out of 10 in an incredible run, most by a single goal, we lost to Wolves, Villa and Derby, all teams around us and were extremely lucky to have got anything at Bramall Lane. Our spirit, effort and desire has never been found wanting. It's a quality thing. Warnock gets 110% out of our players, he's the reason we've had any chance this season. I reckon there are a few Championship sides with better forwards than we have. I reckon there are a few Championship sides with better midfields and better passing/creative midfielders. There aren't any with the heart and desire and defensive ability that we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's ideal in the Championship. It's about keeping the ball a bit better, being a little more inventive in attack and having a bit more quality in the squad. I don't really blame our defence as it's been under siege most of the season.

I thought there were some issues in the run-in last season. After we won 9 out of 10 in an incredible run, most by a single goal, we lost to Wolves, Villa and Derby, all teams around us and were extremely lucky to have got anything at Bramall Lane. Our spirit, effort and desire has never been found wanting. It's a quality thing. Warnock gets 110% out of our players, he's the reason we've had any chance this season. I reckon there are a few Championship sides with better forwards than we have. I reckon there are a few Championship sides with better midfields and better passing/creative midfielders. There aren't any with the heart and desire and defensive ability that we have.
    To be fair, we were unfortunate to lose both the Wolves and Vills games

We had also played both those sides off the park earlier in the season

The players gave their best. The club certainly did not.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The players gave their best. The club certainly did not.
    Lots and lots on here saying went we up happy to spend **** all and enjoy the ride even if we went down - seems a lot of those were full of shit! I've enjoyed it thus far and if we do go down we've been sensible and should be able to have a good crack at getting back up.

I am not giving in just yet but whatever happens i have enjoyed it and thats what its all about.Thank you Neil and Tan

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    I am not giving in just yet but whatever happens i have enjoyed it and thats what its all about.Thank you Neil and Tan
    I am with you

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    I am with you
    Same here. Some of the drubbings apart, it's been a great season where we seem united as a club again.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Lots and lots on here saying went we up happy to spend **** all and enjoy the ride even if we went down - seems a lot of those were full of shit! I've enjoyed it thus far and if we do go down we've been sensible and should be able to have a good crack at getting back up.

How do figure we have a good crack at going back up? 3 loan players weill be gone and about half a dozen will be out of contract. And Sol Bamba will be 35. I have no idea what to expect season. I don't even know who the manager will be.

How do figure we have a good crack at going back up? 3 loan players weill be gone and about half a dozen will be out of contract. And Sol Bamba will be 35. I have no idea what to expect season. I don't even know who the manager will be.
    Exactly.

There's just too much uncertainty for me to have any real confidence at this moment in time. All we'll have to show for our time in the top-flight will be Reid and Murphy, and they don't always feature for us.

I've not watched as much Championship football as I usually do this season for obvious reasons. However, from what I have seen, the quality of football played seems up on 17/18 and when you consider the success of sides like Norwich, Leeds, Bristol City, Derby and, to an extent, Villa, then my conclusion is that it is more of a young man's league this season - we have an ageing squad which I'm sure I read somewhere was the only one that had no one under the age of 23 I think it was who had played Premier League football for them this season.

Also, does it mean anything that Tony Pulis' Middlesbrough (the closest thing to a 17/18 style Cardiff City in the division?) are currently on a six game losing run and out of the Play Off places and that Millwall (another team that prospered in 17/18 playing a very direct, physical game) are struggling against the drop this year - to be fair, Neil Harris' teams' current league position is a more accurate reflection of their playing budget relative to others in the division.

Based on what he said in response to a report that he was likely to quit at the end of the season, Neil Warnock is going to be at Cardiff for 19/20 and, with him turning 71 in December, he's not going to have a Road to Damascus like conversion to a completely different way of playing this summer, so we can expect more of the same in terms of playing style and recruitment and I'd say the same will be true if our manager does leave and Warnock/Jepson take over.

While I think there may just be a chance that Harry Arter could just be tempted to sign for us in the Championship, we seem certain to lose two of our first choice midfield, there have to be doubts as to whether Sol Bamba can recover from his serious injury (there may be Premier League interest in someone like Bruno as well) and come back as good as new at the age of thirty five and Neil Warnock is the latest City manager who has failed to provide us with a striker that you could, more or less, guarantee will get you ten plus goals a season at Championship level.

Bearing all of that in mind, I think we probably need to use the large majority of our first season of parachute payments on trying to rebuild the squad into genuine promotion contenders. However, with spending and the wage bill this season not being as frugal as some would have you believe and the current situation whereby it looks like we may well be liable for the whole of the Emiliano Sala fee, I'd say that we would need to be a lot more cautious with our spending if we were still in the Championship for 20/21.

Should read Blackwell/Jepson above, not Warnock/Jepson.

Same good keeper
    Solid same defence
    Midfield needs attention
    Bobby Reid and Murphy added to what we had, another striker and we’ll be fine.

Champions by Easter

Sounds something to be excited about not whinge about.

I hope we stay up but worse case is we’ll go down and have a manager who is known for always challenging in the championship and we’ll need to sign a few players which always makes it interesting.

Plus Murphy, Mendez-laing and Ried is a decent championship front 3.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've not watched as much Championship football as I usually do this season for obvious reasons. However, from what I have seen, the quality of football played seems up on 17/18 and when you consider the success of sides like Norwich, Leeds, Bristol City, Derby and, to an extent, Villa, then my conclusion is that it is more of a young man's league this season - we have an ageing squad which I'm sure I read somewhere was the only one that had no one under the age of 23 I think it was who had played Premier League football for them this season.

Also, does it mean anything that Tony Pulis' Middlesbrough (the closest thing to a 17/18 style Cardiff City in the division?) are currently on a six game losing run and out of the Play Off places and that Millwall (another team that prospered in 17/18 playing a very direct, physical game) are struggling against the drop this year - to be fair, Neil Harris' teams' current league position is a more accurate reflection of their playing budget relative to others in the division.

Based on what he said in response to a report that he was likely to quit at the end of the season, Neil Warnock is going to be at Cardiff for 19/20 and, with him turning 71 in December, he's not going to have a Road to Damascus like conversion to a completely different way of playing this summer, so we can expect more of the same in terms of playing style and recruitment and I'd say the same will be true if our manager does leave and Warnock/Jepson take over.

While I think there may just be a chance that Harry Arter could just be tempted to sign for us in the Championship, we seem certain to lose two of our first choice midfield, there have to be doubts as to whether Sol Bamba can recover from his serious injury (there may be Premier League interest in someone like Bruno as well) and come back as good as new at the age of thirty five and Neil Warnock is the latest City manager who has failed to provide us with a striker that you could, more or less, guarantee will get you ten plus goals a season at Championship level.

Bearing all of that in mind, I think we probably need to use the large majority of our first season of parachute payments on trying to rebuild the squad into genuine promotion contenders. However, with spending and the wage bill this season not being as frugal as some would have you believe and the current situation whereby it looks like we may well be liable for the whole of the Emiliano Sala fee, I'd say that we would need to be a lot more cautious with our spending if we were still in the Championship for 20/21.
    I spent 20 minutes or so watching all the highlights of Saturday's Championship games and the overwhelming impression was just how good the sides looked - not just the top 3/4 but right the way down.

I

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    + 1. I've enjoyed the ride and I'm so glad that we didn't splash the cash.

Players we have under contract for next season:

Etheridge
    Smithies

Bamba
    Bennett
    Connolly
    Cunningham
    Morrison
    Peltier

Bacuna
    Hoilett
    Mendez-Laing
    Murphy
    Paterson
    Ralls
    Tomlin

Bogle
    Healey
    Madine
    Reid
    Ward
    Zohore

The squad is going to need significant strengthening regardless of whether we get relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Players we have under contract for next season:

Etheridge
    Smithies

Bamba
    Bennett
    Connolly
    Cunningham
    Morrison
    Peltier

Bacuna
    Hoilett
    Mendez-Laing
    Murphy
    Paterson
    Ralls
    Tomlin

Bogle
    Healey
    Madine
    Reid
    Ward
    Zohore

The squad is going to need significant strengthening regardless of whether we get relegated.
    Depth.jpg

We definitely have work to do across all the areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

I hope we stay up but worse case is we’ll go down and have a manager who is known for always challenging in the championship and we’ll need to sign a few players which always makes it interesting.

Who's whingeing? I'm just of the opinion that as of now, it's hard to say how next season will pan out.

International

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I spent 20 minutes or so watching all the highlights of Saturday's Championship games and the overwhelming impression was just how good the sides looked - not just the top 3/4 but right the way down.

I
    But wasn't it ever so? We know from bitter experience that in the Championship anyone can beat anyone else. Teams can be 6 points from promotion and from relegation at the same time. It's what makes it such an intense league ans so hard to get out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

Next season we could have a team like this:
    Etheridge
    Peltier Morrison Manga Bennett
    CM Ralls
    Murphy Reid Hoilett
    Zohore

Smithies, Connolly, Cunningham, Bacuna, NML, Paterson, Striker

Not bad at all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Next season we could have a team like this:
    Etheridge
    Peltier Morrison Manga Bennett
    CM Ralls
    Murphy Reid Hoilett
    Zohore

Smithies, Connolly, Cunningham, Bacuna, NML, Paterson, Striker

Not bad at all that.
    I think if we could get Arter in there we’d walk the league....shame

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Depth.jpg

We definitely have work to do across all the areas.
    Do we have any youth prospects that are likely to get any game time next season?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Do we have any youth prospects that are likely to get any game time next season?
    Cameron Coxe and Sion Spencer are two who spring to my mind but I doubt if they'd get any game time. Neil has many qualities but putting faith in young players isn't one of them.