Next season we could have a team like this:
    Etheridge
    Peltier Morrison Manga Bennett
    CM Ralls
    Murphy Reid Hoilett
    Zohore

Smithies, Connolly, Cunningham, Bacuna, NML, Paterson, Striker

Not bad at all that.
    Not bad at all, if we still want to keep surrendering possession that is.

Peltier, despite his valiant efforts of trying to stick doggedly to his main task of defending cannot pick a pass, same could be said of Bennett to a lesser degree.

Ralls lacks that bit of extra in all aspects of his game, he just doesn't do it for me.

Are we going to go another season with question marks still hanging over Zohore, always hoping that maybe he might come good?

Connolly, even coming off the bench? ... we might as well resign Greg Halford!

We need to try and shift a load of players and get two new strikers in and a complete new midfield if Arter doesn't sign... although I'd be happy to see Reid accommodated somewhere in midfield.

As it stands, we look like a mid-table Championship team at best.

Re: If we end up going down

I'm still surprised by what a bad season Morrison had this year. I really thought he'd make the step up. I Think it's the naive defending that kills you more than anything at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Do we have any youth prospects that are likely to get any game time next season?
    I think we may see one or two given a chance if we are relegated with a few matches left - there's probably more chance of that happening than them getting a game next season which has something riding on it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'm still surprised by what a bad season Morrison had this year. I really thought he'd make the step up. I Think it's the naive defending that kills you more than anything at this level.
    Noticeable that Morrison much better with Manga last couple of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Not bad at all, if we still want to keep surrendering possession that is.

Peltier, despite his valiant efforts of trying to stick doggedly to his main task of defending cannot pick a pass, same could be said of Bennett to a lesser degree.

Ralls lacks that bit of extra in all aspects of his game, he just doesn't do it for me.

Are we going to go another season with question marks still hanging over Zohore, always hoping that maybe he might come good?

Connolly, even coming off the bench? ... we might as well resign Greg Halford!

We need to try and shift a load of players and get two new strikers in and a complete new midfield if Arter doesn't sign... although I'd be happy to see Reid accommodated somewhere in midfield.

As it stands, we look like a mid-table Championship team at best.
    Depending on who comes into CM that looks comparable to the team that went up automatically to me. And is strengthened by Murphy and Reid.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Depending on who comes into CM that looks comparable to the team that went up automatically to me. And is strengthened by Murphy and Reid.
    Maybe, but some of those players will know that they'll never get a second shot at the Premiership.. they've been found out as simply not being up to it. Relegation can knock a player's confidence to the point they're never quite the same player again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Maybe, but some of those players will know that they'll never get a second shot at the Premiership.. they've been found out as simply not being up to it. Relegation can knock a player's confidence to the point they're never quite the same player again.
    Possibly. Or playing at a higher level improves them as a player, even if we've struggled. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Do we have any youth prospects that are likely to get any game time next season?
    This is a clear worry for the club. I cannot think of anyone breaking through since Aaron Ramsey (maybe I am wrong).
    For a capital city and a reasonably good population that is pathetic.
    Swansea seem to be showing a much better youth policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Possibly. Or playing at a higher level improves them as a player, even if we've struggled. Time will tell.
    Well, you are also right there too. Hopefully, someone like Bennett will have improved as a result of the calibre of player he has faced all season.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    This is a clear worry for the club. I cannot think of anyone breaking through since Aaron Ramsey (maybe I am wrong).
    Swansea seem to have a better youth policy now they have been relegated and the owners are selling everything that moved. Hardly any of their young players got any game time when they were in the top division, in fact they were all loaned out.

Its simply a case of needs must at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I don't think we've had anyone come through since Matthews, unless you count Ralls

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Swansea seem to have a better youth policy now they have been relegated and the owners are selling everything that moved. Hardly any of their young players got any game time when they were in the top division, in fact they were all loaned out.

Its simply a case of needs must at the moment.
    I think with the Jacks they benefitted from being in the Premier League and their academy ultimately improving at that time but then couldn't blood the youngsters as the pressure of that league dictated.

I'm not sure what our reasoning is but you look at the Wales set up now and it has a few Swansea produced players coming through and sadly none or very few that we have had any hand in producing.

If I was in charge of that side of things at City I would copy the Man City model and raid other clubs academy talent for peanuts. They get a ridiculously small amount in compensation and the chances are a lot higher you will get a few breaking through or having a sell on value.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I think with the Jacks they benefitted from being in the Premier League and their academy ultimately improving at that time but then couldn't blood the youngsters as the pressure of that league dictated.

I'm not sure what our reasoning is but you look at the Wales set up now and it has a few Swansea produced players coming through and sadly none or very few that we have had any hand in producing.

If I was in charge of that side of things at City I would copy the Man City model and raid other clubs academy talent for peanuts. They get a ridiculously small amount in compensation and the chances are a lot higher you will get a few breaking through or having a sell on value.
    Swansea spent a few years buying players for their U23s, it would have strengthened their team and helped players like Roberts, Rondon and James. However lets not kid ourselves now that they are a bastion of youth in Wales, this is their break through season because the clubs needs to play them, during their time in the premier league they were a sign and sell club.

Our greatest period of youth production in recent times is ironically under Dave Jones (who had a terrible reputation with youth while he was here). Again this was a little out of necessity, but players like Ledley, Gunter, Matthews, Blake, Wildig all gained appearances under him.

Under Tan there is an element of instant success required, and under those circumstances managers will look at signings, rather than to develop the youth that is available for the longer term.

Swansea spent a few years buying players for their U23s, it would have strengthened their team and helped players like Roberts, Rondon and James. However lets not kid ourselves now that they are a bastion of youth in Wales, this is their break through season because the clubs needs to play them, during their time in the premier league they were a sign and sell club.

Our greatest period of youth production in recent times is ironically under Dave Jones (who had a terrible reputation with youth while he was here). Again this was a little out of necessity, but players like Ledley, Gunter, Matthews, Blake, Wildig all gained appearances under him.

Under Tan there is an element of instant success required, and under those circumstances managers will look at signings, rather than to develop the youth that is available for the longer term.
    Swansea bought Dan James from Hull

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Swansea bought Dan James from Hull
    I have never even thought of that before, i just assumed.

We are seeing on here that Swansea are seen as a major youth developer. Yet there are only 2 in their current side (Rodon and Roberts) that are true youth products).

We are seeing on here that Swansea are seen as a major youth developer. Yet there are only 2 in their current side (Rodon and Roberts) that are true youth products).
    Two more than we've had in the last ten years.

It’s been reported on WOL that 9 of Swansea’s under23 side have made their debuts this season? Their under 18’s have also won the Welsh Cup for 10 years even beating our best Youth side for years in this year’s final! We certainly need to improve our Academy otherwise what’s the point of having one?

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Lots and lots on here saying went we up happy to spend **** all and enjoy the ride even if we went down - seems a lot of those were full of shit! I've enjoyed it thus far and if we do go down we've been sensible and should be able to have a good crack at getting back up.
    They were referring to the approach taken by the club , not the playing squad. The club has spent feck all and we are looking like we’re going down now, probably because they didn’t push the boat out a little further. Those people were essentially proven correct.

I wouldn’t count your chickens re. getting promotion next year either. I expect Stoke and the Jacks were saying the same this time last year.

It’s been an enjoyable season at times though, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    They were referring to the approach taken by the club , not the playing squad. The club has spent feck all and we are looking like we’re going down now, probably because they didn’t push the boat out a little further. Those people were essentially proven correct.

I wouldn’t count your chickens re. getting promotion next year either. I expect Stoke and the Jacks were saying the same this time last year.

It’s been an enjoyable season at times though, yes.
    If we count the Emiliano Sala deal, City have spent something like £50 million in transfer fees since January 2018 - hardly "feck all".

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If we count the Emiliano Sala deal, City have spent something like £50 million in transfer fees since January 2018 - hardly "feck all".
    If we had spent £50 million in the Summer of 2018. I don't think we'd be having this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If we had spent £50 million in the Summer of 2018. I don't think we'd be having this conversation.
    There are plenty of examples of teams that have done that and not stayed up

Good news is no Ipswich away on a Tuesday night....if we go down. Luton or Barnsley instead?

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Good news is no Ipswich away on a Tuesday night....if we go down. Luton or Barnsley instead?
    I'd love to stay up, but Luton, Swansea, Brizzle, potentially Leeds or Portsmouth, Millwall some good old fashioned needle games there plus 46 games means no seemingly endless breaks.. It's win/win wherever we are next season IMO.