+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did we get promoted, a season too early ??????

Did we get promoted, a season too early ??????

Yes you’ve got to take your chances when they are there, but looking at Norwich, they were about to sack their manager 18 months ago, but look at them now.

He’s got them playing his way, brought in some good free transfers whilst making money for the club, all in all things looking good for them.

Wind the clock back 15 months and we were always 3 or 4 players short of a great (not good, as we were) team.

Our recruitment in the summer, was not the best, but I think we went about it in the correct manner, as now IF we do go down, we haven’t skint ourselves like last time.

Oh, for a Fox in the box, but everyone wants one, don’t they !!!!!

Back to the title, would we have been better off building for another season ???

Re: Did we get promoted, a season too early ??????

There's no guarantee that Norwich will hack it in the Prem so it's really an impossible question.
    Having said that Warnock has said himself that promotion has come too early. Perhaps we would have been better off a season later but who knows.
    Having seen the average teams in the bottom half I think that perhaps if our recruitment had been a bit more savvy, we struggled for a right back, defensive mf and striker from the start, we would probably stay up.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    There's no guarantee that Norwich will hack it in the Prem so it's really an impossible question.
    Having said that Warnock has said himself that promotion has come too early. Perhaps we would have been better off a season later but who knows.
    Having seen the average teams in the bottom half I think that perhaps if our recruitment had been a bit more savvy, we struggled for a right back, defensive mf and striker from the start, we would probably stay up.
    If we can make a decent profit from it and the parachute payments then surely it’s worth it? Let’s hope we clear about 50 million from it? Be interesting to know if our wage is still low next season, ie they go down on relegation? The players we bought should do well in the championship, they did last time....

I know what you mean,but in truth the answer is definitely no.Parachutes payments were coming to and end and as you say when it comes you grab it straight away.
    But there again maybe that’s what Derby are waiting for .....LOL

No, it is never too early for promotion. You take promotion when it comes. You cant guarentee it the next but one season. The reason for our predicament and probable relegation is a lack of investment in players of PL quality. That has been our position since last summer.

StT.
    <><

No never.
    Competition is far too tough to get promotion so you have to take your chances when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    No, it is never too early for promotion. You take promotion when it comes. You cant guarentee it the next but one season. The reason for our predicament and probable relegation is a lack of investment in players of PL quality. That has been our position since last summer.

StT.
    <><
    Agreed it’s never to early for promotion but our recruitment has been disastrous,it’s a good job we didn’t spent 100m like Fulham!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Agreed it’s never to early for promotion but our recruitment has been disastrous,it’s a good job we didn’t spent 100m like Fulham!
    I don't think it has been that bad. Reid and Murphy should both be good, and many of the other players we have been linked with would have been good if they had come off

Clyne
    Lerma
    Adrien tameze

I'm sure Warnock mentioned being interested in mitrovic and traore as well.
    Not forgetting Sala who looked like he would have been good.

Loans wise, arter and camarasa have both been great and niasse has been ok.

Bacuna and Cunningham I suppose haven't lived up to the fees paid but we seem to be mostly targeting the right players recently

Wonder what the financial situation is at Craven Cottage? Were relegation clauses inserted ( doubt it as the players’ agents would have hawked them around elsewhere)? Are they going to have a few on Premier League wages playing in the Championship? I know their owner has a few bob but with a reduction in income will FFP come into play?
    Perhaps Fulham Traveller can enlighten us, I know I’d be upset if we’d laid out so much and were relegated by early April.

Quite a few clubs made it without too much fuss or cost initially like bha, Watford, Bournemouth, palace, Leicester, Burnely. Even Albion, Swansea, Wigan, and stoke stayed up for years. Has it just got more difficult, is the jump almost to much less you do a wolves?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I don't think it has been that bad. Reid and Murphy should both be good, and many of the other players we have been linked with would have been good if they had come off

Clyne
    Lerma
    Adrien tameze

I'm sure Warnock mentioned being interested in mitrovic and traore as well.
    Not forgetting Sala who looked like he would have been good.

Loans wise, arter and camarasa have both been great and niasse has been ok.

Bacuna and Cunningham I suppose haven't lived up to the fees paid but we seem to be mostly targeting the right players recently
    Arter and Camarasa have been very good additions but the permanent recruitment has been average (taking into account Sala, obviously). Josh Murphy has done well but Reid has been criminally underused; he doesn't fit in to the Warnock way, much like Tomlin. Cunningham has been a bit-part player, we've hardly seen Bacuna and although hindsight is a great thing, could the £4m on Smithies have been better spent?

Ahhhh ... Fulham.

Their problem last season was their attack papered over a barely adequate Championship defence. After going up a division, not addressing that weakness and buying attacking players, they were always going to be found out. It's no surprise that they were relegated.

StT.
    <><

I think we over achieved massively last season and to an extent this year as well.
    I'm not sure another season in championship would have helped that much as it was the style we had which worked and probably would be less effective the longer it stayed.

I love NW but do worry about our long term success can we keep doing what we are doing as we never have really had a particular style until now.

The players we signed all have excellent championship pedigree but I do think we should have made sure every penny we spent went into improving the team as we were so much weaker.

Looking at the championship I certainly don't think the top 3 are as good as the top 3 from last year.

It's likely that if we didn't go up last season we would only be in or around the play offs about this time anyway so there's no guarantee. Look at Leeds...

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    It's likely that if we didn't go up last season we would only be in or around the play offs about this time anyway so there's no guarantee. Look at Leeds...
    If our current squad had been in this years Championship I think 10/1 odds would have been a fair price for us to get promoted

I thought our promotion was a gift from god, no way should we have got there , when you look at the squads and teams in that division .

The financial platform this has given us is a gift indeed ,went we in the last year of our parachute payment from our previous visit to the Premiership.

If we fall this time we will be in better shape to regroup and spend sensibly .

Our biggest task is how we will manage our next steps in relation to management , and what type of football we will play next year ,and importantly how we structure our youth development to better serve the first team .

I don't have a problem with the players we brought in since we were promoted. We just didn't bring in enough of them. Two experienced defenders could have done it. Or even one experienced striker. Even a player like Phil Jagielka could have made a difference.

I think for a club that operates like we do, i.e. lower end Premier League and mid table Championship spenders, the contribution to our Premier League season from the five players we spent around £35 million on in 2018, as well as the fee spent on Bacuna in early 2019, has been very disappointing - Decodova-Reid and Murphy have had their moments, but there's not been enough of them from a couple of players who cost us £20 million plus between them.

It was said pretty early on that we'd be trying to do a Burnley plus. I don't think you can underestimate the importance of the financial boost that this has lead to; that players like Patterson, Bennett and Etheridge have really made the step up but are likely to be here next year and the year after; or that we've worked out how to play with a more creative midfielder in Camarasa. After the reset which happened through the Slade and then Warnock early years, we're still quite a "young" club compared to most others and, because that was known going into this year, I think our eyes being opened to what we're good at now and where we need to go can only be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think for a club that operates like we do, i.e. lower end Premier League and mid table Championship spenders, the contribution to our Premier League season from the five players we spent around £35 million on in 2018, as well as the fee spent on Bacuna in early 2019, has been very disappointing - Decodova-Reid and Murphy have had their moments, but there's not been enough of them from a couple of players who cost us £20 million plus between them.
    The successes of Wolves, Watford, Norwich are all down to the club[s] depending on their various recruitment policies, as opposed to City whose promotion was achieved on a particular style and method of play. All these clubs brought in large numbers of players from [generally] one source, using their contacts and know-how. Watford, on gates of less than 20k have shown that snooping around the leagues here and occasionally getting tips from agents about foreign players isn't anywhere near as fruitful as having strong knowledge and links with the European player markets without relying on agents' tips...

We also made a loss of 37 million the year we went up, partly due to some hefty promotion bonuses. So the majority of the premier League windfall is very likely to have already gone

To be fair to Murphy and especially Reid, they haven't made the number starts that their share of the transfer fund warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We also made a loss of 37 million the year we went up, partly due to some hefty promotion bonuses. So the majority of the premier League windfall is very likely to have already gone
    Which is ridiculous really, how can you not make a profit on a very successful season? We didn’t even buy anyone apart from wasting 6 million on madine.....did we?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I agree with most of this. Impossible to pick and choose when you want promotion. The championship is probably the most difficult division to get promoted.
    I do not believe that we failed to provide transfer funds, but I do think we did not bring in the right mix to make us a more solid team.
    Right back and striker were both ignored, which has comeback to bite us.
    I also think we showed too much player loyalty to some who were in the promotion team.
    Has happened before and will happen again but if you want to succeed in the Premiership you have to be ruthless.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    It was said pretty early on that we'd be trying to do a Burnley plus. I don't think you can underestimate the importance of the financial boost that this has lead to; that players like Patterson, Bennett and Etheridge have really made the step up but are likely to be here next year and the year after; or that we've worked out how to play with a more creative midfielder in Camarasa. After the reset which happened through the Slade and then Warnock early years, we're still quite a "young" club compared to most others and, because that was known going into this year, I think our eyes being opened to what we're good at now and where we need to go can only be a good thing.
    Re Burnley- everyone forgets they went straight back down under dyche.

If they had higher expectations of themselves they would likely have sacked him (taken us as far as he can etc etc). As it was they stuck with him and were in Europe and 7th a couple of seasons after.