+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best ever British sitcom award goes to...........................

Best ever British sitcom award goes to...........................

Re: Best ever British sitcom award goes to...........................

"Good afternoon fawlty tities"

Easily number 1.

'Fawlty Towers has been named the greatest ever British TV sitcom once again by a panel of comedy experts compiled by the Radio Times'.

What is a 'comedy expert'?

I would have thought Only Fools And Horses would have been higher than 6th.
    Porridge in 7th is my favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    'Fawlty Towers has been named the greatest ever British TV sitcom once again by a panel of comedy experts compiled by the Radio Times'.

What is a 'comedy expert'?
    Dunno, but, although it's practically impossible to name a best ever for me, I think they didn't do a bad job at all.

Only fools is my number 1 the only show where I know what’s coming but still makes me laugh, Faulty towers is excellent but they didn’t make enough episodes

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Only fools is my number 1 the only show where I know what’s coming but still makes me laugh, Faulty towers is excellent but they didn’t make enough episodes
    I agree not a bad job.

There are a few others I would have had in the top 10, and I can do without Fools And Horses, but overall a goodish list.

Fawlty Towers is different from a lot of other comedy series too because there were only 12 episodes. The standard of writing and acting never varied and it signed off leaving fans crying for more. Smart.

Fawlty Towers is the best for the very fact that they didn’t make enough episodes, every one stands on its own as a comedy gem. Only Fools & Horses started badly, improved to produce some true comedy classics but unfortunately made the age old mistake of going to the well too often, it tailed off very badly.

Wrong.
    Any more would have taken it into "they're flogging this well past its sell-by date" category.

Much like one of my faves - "Allo, allo" - which gave me many belly laughs in the early series, but went off the rails later on.

Talking of comedy, has anyone seen After Life on netflix? Not laughed out loud at something for ages but that had me pissing myself on a few occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    I would have thought Only Fools And Horses would have been higher than 6th.
    Porridge in 7th is my favourite.
    Different league altogether for me. Only Fools and Horses was down there with other predictable and unwatchable fodder like It Ain't Half Hot, Are You Being Served and a multitude of other comedies that could never bring even a smile to my face. Fawlty Towers was exceedingly clever, original and a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Wrong.
    Any more would have taken it into "they're flogging this well past its sell-by date" category.

Much like one of my faves - "Allo, allo" - which gave me many belly laughs in the early series, but went off the rails later on.
    Maybe I’m just too young to appreciate it when you have most tv shows doing 100 + episodes

Was frank Spencer on the list?

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Talking of comedy, has anyone seen After Life on netflix? Not laughed out loud at something for ages but that had me pissing myself on a few occasions.
    After Life was brilliant, I still chuckle when I think about the scene where Gervais is walking passed the school playground

Maybe I’m just too young to appreciate it when you have most tv shows doing 100 + episodes
    Best thing about Fawlty Towers is that you don’t need 100+ episodes, you can watch it & rewatch it a 1000 times and still spot something absurd going on in the background that you’d previously missed. A masterpiece!!

My own particular favourite was Whatever Happened to The Likely Lads, very much under rated and very clever writing. Still Game is cracking too. But Fawlty Towers was excellent, probably due to the small number of episodes. I always though Only fools and Horses was overrated , there obviously great moments but with so many episodes that's to be expected.

Sadly the great satire and humour of On The Buses seems to get overlooked!

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    My own particular favourite was Whatever Happened to The Likely Lads, very much under rated and very clever writing. Still Game is cracking too. But Fawlty Towers was excellent, probably due to the small number of episodes. I always though Only fools and Horses was overrated , there obviously great moments but with so many episodes that's to be expected.

Sadly the great satire and humour of On The Buses seems to get overlooked!
    Porridge, The Likely Lads and Auf Wiedersehen pet were all written by the same duo of Ian Le Frenais and Dick Clement. Top notch comedies.

My favourite has to be Only Fools but I wasn’t a fan of the final 3 episodes in the early 00s. Didn’t seem necessary and should’ve been left to end when it originally did.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    My favourite has to be Only Fools but I wasn’t a fan of the final 3 episodes in the early 00s. Didn’t seem necessary and should’ve been left to end when it originally did.
    I agree. Only fools my favourite. Think all of the criticism above a bit unfair. Would love a modern day only fools to appear on our screens today.

Sort of puts “Mrs Brown's Boys voted the best British sitcom of the 21st century” into some sort of perspective regarding the quality of tv programming nowadays, when it doesn’t even get a mention in the best EVER https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016...-21st-century/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Brexit itself ought to be quite high on the list !

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    I agree. Only fools my favourite. Think all of the criticism above a bit unfair. Would love a modern day only fools to appear on our screens today.
    God no, re-makes are ripe for failure. Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads was obviously a proper follow up with the same characters and succeeded but Only Fools with different characters (and it would have to be due to some passing on) would be a disaster waiting to happen and if they did it with an ageing David Jason & Nicholas Lyndhurst I’d despair. Ronnie Barker seemed to realise quite sharpish that Going Straight was a no-no.

Think George and Mildred leaves them all in the slipstream of comedy ,quickly followed by On the Buses.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Think George and Mildred leaves them all in the slipstream of comedy ,quickly followed by On the Buses.
    Here here