+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there any point in VAR?

Is there any point in VAR?

Just seen Salah’s attempt at breaking the Porto defender leg yet they didn’t even look at it

Heisenberg

Re: Is there any point in VAR?

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Just seen Salah’s attempt at breaking the Porto defender leg yet they didn’t even look at it
    Not even a yellow card given. Shocking decision. Possible pelanty too... Clearer than the one Man Utd got against PSG imo.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    VAR was brought in partly as a result of the TV companies pushing for it every time there was a disputed decision. It brings 'drama' to the game. "Isn't it great how fans are kept informed as the decision is made " said the Sky/BT bloke as we all looked at the giant screen.
    I confidently predict next will be 4 'quarters' so more advert time and analysis..

I like it, there were definitely more goals at the world cup than in recent tournaments

We are starting to see how the system is being "abused" and how long is it before we see, if we havent already, it being used to suit an agenda

I thought I knew the rules of the game until I saw the Son incident again.

In addition to the Salah incident, there was a tackle by Frnandinho on Harry Kane which showed the aforementioned have 3 or 4 goes at him, all bookable offences, after the initial foul with nothing given.
    Yes I know that VAR is only being used for certain parts of the game like offside or possible penalties but how long before the game is stopped because of this type of foul play? It goes on and it has always gone on.

The game is already grating on me every time they go upstairs for decisions which people still can't agree on and with VAR going forward, I still see the bigger players and bigger teams getting the decisions.

So in answer to the OP poser, it's a"no" from me.

I don't think it will be used for more decisions any time soon, as they don't want to slow the game.
    If it can be then maybe they'll give each team 2 reviews that they can use per game to challenge any decision they want or something to stop it from becoming a farce

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I don't think it will be used for more decisions any time soon, as they don't want to slow the game.
    If it can be then maybe they'll give each team 2 reviews that they can use per game to challenge any decision they want or something to stop it from becoming a farce
    Bit late for that.

I like VAR as a concept but one expects decisions to be sound when utilising it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I like VAR as a concept but one expects decisions to be sound when utilising it.
    I can't think of many occasions where it hasn't improved decision making

It’s making football like a bloody computer game

Refs have been making good and bad decisions for over 100 years !!!

Leave the game alone, VAR will take the emotion out of games and proper football fans will stop going as it will be boring

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    It’s making football like a bloody computer game

Refs have been making good and bad decisions for over 100 years !!!

Leave the game alone, VAR will take the emotion out of games and proper football fans will stop going as it will be boring
    Proper football fans = ones who have the same viewpoint as me?

I can't think of many occasions where it hasn't improved decision making
    Harry Kane’s pelanty the other week, when he was clearly offside before he fell over a blade of grass

Proper football fans = ones who have the same viewpoint as me?
    No, proper ones

Harry Kane’s pelanty the other week, when he was clearly offside before he fell over a blade of grass
    So 1 out if how many?

So 1 out if how many?
    Refs have been reffing for yonks, VAR has only just started and different refs have different opinions already

Refs have been reffing for yonks, VAR has only just started and different refs have different opinions already
    Isn't it usually another ref making the var decision?

What’s that got to do with the price of fish ??????

I thought that is what this debate was about, different interpretations of the laws of football

Or have I drifted into another dimension

No it’s another ref telling the actual ref to review something he or the linesman may have missed.
    Final decision is always with the game referee.

I like the idea of var for when it's a simple decision, offside or not.

What I don't like is the idea of celebrating a goal half heartedly because you know they are checking things.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I like the idea of var for when it's a simple decision, offside or not.

What I don't like is the idea of celebrating a goal half heartedly because you know they are checking things.
    It’ll be worse, if they then go up the other end and award a pelanty. FARCE

It’ll be worse, if they then go up the other end and award a pelanty. FARCE
    Imagine the opposite though. 0-0 against Swansea in the playoff final when they suddenly break away and score in the 95th minute. Pandemonium...but wait, VAR has spotted a handball in the Swansea box at the start of the move, Swansea goal ruled out, penalty to Cardiff

Scenes.

Imagine the opposite though. 0-0 against Swansea in the playoff final when they suddenly break away and score in the 95th minute. Pandemonium...but wait, VAR has spotted a handball in the Swansea box at the start of the move, Swansea goal ruled out, penalty to Cardiff

Scenes.
    It would be carnage

There would be a lot of "scenes no one likes to see" and Sky would cut away from the game

Scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    It would be carnage

There would be a lot of "scenes no one likes to see" and Sky would cut away from the game
    You lot spend to much time on computer games

Get back in the real world

Jeeper's whats happening to football fans , the beauty of the game was born in instinct , controversy, missed moments , error , missed , good or poor referring , what the duck are we going to rant and talk about if we become some controlled robotic sport run on software checks, the only positive I can think off it may get rid of pundits , but who would we hate then .

We will all be down the pub soon staring at replies on screens rather than taking/debating / ranting to each other .

FFS

You lot spend to much time on computer games

Get back in the real world
    It would be funny though