+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn’t the club invest in the academy?

Why doesn’t the club invest in the academy?

Surely, seeing the price or value you get in the current market, it seems odd we don’t go down this road. I know it can take a few years to bed in etc but surely with the talent around South Wales we need to do this whatever. Costs about 3 million a year to run a cat A academy I believe? Half a Gary madine....would have thought vinnie would be all over this as if we bring them through we don’t have to deal with those agents so much......

Re: Why doesn’t the club invest in the academy?

Part of the problem, has been clubs like Chelsea and Man City cherry picking the best players from academies across the country and only having to pay around £20,000 - £30,000 in compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Part of the problem, has been clubs like Chelsea and Man City cherry picking the best players from academies across the country and only having to pay around £20,000 - £30,000 in compensation.
    I may be wrong, but I think it may be harder for them to do that if we upgraded to a Category One Academy. The trouble is, if the will is not there from the club, they could easily justify not doing that by saying what's the point in spending millions more on the Academy if it isn't producing first team footballers? My own view is that there needs to be an independent review into how our Academy is run, because it's not been fit for purpose for nearly a decade now if that purpose is to produce first team players for the club..

Speaking the other day with a current under23 player he said the general consensus amongst the players is that not many of them will ever play for Cardiff City. What is interesting though is that many of the young players see Cardiff City as a good gateway club to professional football. Quite a few of the current squad seem confident that being involved with Cardiff will eventually open the door to opportunities else where in the football league, national league, Welsh Premier or abroad.

The player I was talking to also had nothing but respect for Craig Bellamy and went onto say he knew how to get the best out of players and since he has left they are no where near as competitive.

the club has always needed " ready players " for the promotion push and prem survival, it has had a somewhat shortsighted approach, but we can see why

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think it may be harder for them to do that if we upgraded to a Category One Academy. The trouble is, if the will is not there from the club, they could easily justify not doing that by saying what's the point in spending millions more on the Academy if it isn't producing first team footballers? My own view is that there needs to be an independent review into how our Academy is run, because it's not been fit for purpose for nearly a decade now if that purpose is to produce first team players for the club..
    They can’t just pinch them if we have cat 1 status too, that’s my point. Even if it produces 1 5 million pound player every two years it’s almost self funded. And in today’s market, player like dan James goes for 12 million odd. Didn’t Man City just sell the guy they pinched off us to Bayern for 12 million? Ridiculous situation. They are rich enough

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    the club has always needed " ready players " for the promotion push and prem survival, it has had a somewhat shortsighted approach, but we can see why
    There were a few podcast (might have been the BBC) that looked into it but realistically Academy's are a lose making venture. Many clubs were closing due to this. The other argument was even though lose making they form a huge part of the community and clubs have certain responsibilities to run one regardless.

What is the point? I've said this before. First and foremost the club needs a reputation. A reputation for youngsters to break through to the first team. Then a reputation for playing a modern day attractive football. Neither is in place, so we can only hope for one to take place. Then the club needs scouting range. Affiliated clubs where we look for talent. And then a group of excellent youth coaches.

We are not even fecking close to make this happen. So why even bother.

I don't know much about City's academy but a friend of mine works for the West Brom Academy (& also at St.Georges Park) and West Brom employ 45 full time staff in their academy. From coaches, physios, education, welfare etc. That's a big outlay.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I don't know much about City's academy but a friend of mine works for the West Brom Academy (& also at St.Georges Park) and West Brom employ 45 full time staff in their academy. From coaches, physios, education, welfare etc. That's a big outlay.
    Yes a Cat 1 academy will have at least two teams for each age group from 9 - 16 (not including pre-development groups)

that is 14 full squads that each need staff, logistics and facilities. , I believe the costs to maintain a top class academy like Man City have implemented would be in the tens of millions.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Yes a Cat 1 academy will have at least two teams for each age group from 9 - 16 (not including pre-development groups)

that is 14 full squads that each need staff, logistics and facilities. , I believe the costs to maintain a top class academy like Man City have implemented would be in the tens of millions.
    That's just not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    What is the point? I've said this before. First and foremost the club needs a reputation. A reputation for youngsters to break through to the first team. Then a reputation for playing a modern day attractive football. Neither is in place, so we can only hope for one to take place. Then the club needs scouting range. Affiliated clubs where we look for talent. And then a group of excellent youth coaches.

We are not even fecking close to make this happen. So why even bother.
    I agree with this. Category 1 could be a good thing for the club but do you honestly think there are any academies playing the way our first team do.

It's not necessarily a criticism but our brand of football isn't particularly suited to 18 or 19 year old lads coming out of an academy.

We have no real identity therefore it will be difficult to bring any kids through unless things change.

There is no long term strategy at this football club. We’ve got a 70 year old manager, who only this week said he would like a hand in picking the next manager, so we we will probably end up with his mates, Blacky and Jeppo.

We dish out 3 year deals to players well into their 30s, and 5 year deals to a bang average 28 year old who can’t even get in the team.

Ken Choo might be a fantastic human being but agents have his pants down all the time.

The under 23s haven’t had a natural route to the first team for a long time. My cousins lad is in the under 18s and been with Cardiff since he was 8 or 9, I think he may have captained them through the age groups, but he will probably just follow the same route as his brother and play for the under 23s until he’s 21 or so and then fall out of football.

He’s been coached to play a style of football that we simply do not play at first team level so what is the point?

Also, in the first team managers defence at any football club, it’s a results business and a managers only a few games away from the sack.

That’s not to excuse that c.unt Slade and some of his team selections in dead runners at the end of his first season.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Also, in the first team managers defence at any football club, it’s a results business and a managers only a few games away from the sack.

That’s not to excuse that c.unt Slade and some of his team selections in dead runners at the end of his first season.
    That's true but there has definitely been a change recently whereas clubs are willing to put young players in but it's noticable that this is only happening where clubs play a more progressive style of football. Norwich is probably the greatest example of this at the moment and if you look into their current structure it's incredibly impressive. They even have a loans manager who picks clubs suited to the kids development and tracks every fine detail of their progress.

I fear that we haven't got the fan base to allow us to implement a new style of play as this just couldn't happen overnight.

I fear for your cousin as he shouldn't be playing with his own age group at 18. I wonder if results are more important than individual development? Either that or the fact that the divide between academy and first team is a chasm therefore the management of the first team don't trust the academy and the management of the academy don't trust the first team!

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I agree with this. Category 1 could be a good thing for the club but do you honestly think there are any academies playing the way our first team do.

It's not necessarily a criticism but our brand of football isn't particularly suited to 18 or 19 year old lads coming out of an academy.

We have no real identity therefore it will be difficult to bring any kids through unless things change.
    Identity? Come on, that’s bollocks, it’s just football....we can’t all be pep and Barca or Man City....I’m sure bellers has a philosophy of how to play isn’t that good enough. Has any other club got a philosophy degree? Who? Is it just how many times you pass the ball? Is that a philosophy?

That's true but there has definitely been a change recently whereas clubs are willing to put young players in but it's noticable that this is only happening where clubs play a more progressive style of football. Norwich is probably the greatest example of this at the moment and if you look into their current structure it's incredibly impressive. They even have a loans manager who picks clubs suited to the kids development and tracks every fine detail of their progress.

I fear that we haven't got the fan base to allow us to implement a new style of play as this just couldn't happen overnight.

I fear for your cousin as he shouldn't be playing with his own age group at 18. I wonder if results are more important than individual development? Either that or the fact that the divide between academy and first team is a chasm therefore the management of the first team don't trust the academy and the management of the academy don't trust the first team!
    Norwich and their recruitment are light years ahead of us. They are signing unknown foreigners for peanuts and we are signing the likes of Bacuna and giving him 4.5 year deals.

I don’t even know if the kids at the club are any good anyway but there definitely doesn’t seem a path through to the first team for any youngsters. You only have to look at the teams fielded in the cups this season.

Not many of the youngsters who’s paths have been blocked in the past have amounted to much but I do wonder if some of them suffered because of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Swansea employ 100 and it costs £5m a year.

They are keeping it going next year, but after that ??

By the way the same article said that Cat 2 academies ( which we have) cost almost as much

all very romantic but academys are a waste of time and money

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    😂😂 Yes. Players just pop up from nowhere and cost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

By the way the same article said that Cat 2 academies ( which we have) cost almost as much
    Down to cat 3 the rumour is, which is a skeleton set up with minimal cost....7 seasons eh?

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    I'm surprised to see this coming from you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

Stephen Benda
    Connor Robert's
    Joe Rodon
    Cian Harris
    Jay Fulton
    Matt Grimes
    Dan James
    Oli Mcburnie

Are all good reasons to keep it going.

And there's a rumour that two German clubs are chasing Ben Cabango (who is from Cardiff by the way) for 2.5 million

It was be false economy to downgrade it.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Identity? Come on, that’s bollocks, it’s just football....we can’t all be pep and Barca or Man City....I’m sure bellers has a philosophy of how to play isn’t that good enough. Has any other club got a philosophy degree? Who? Is it just how many times you pass the ball? Is that a philosophy?
    Of course Bellamy has an idea of how to play but that's my argument that it is polar opposite to Warnocks

Of course Bellamy has an idea of how to play but that's my argument that it is polar opposite to Warnocks
    And we all know Neil will be gone in a year.....they should be working together now planning the future out