+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Neil Warnock wants to stay on.... to Christmas?

Neil Warnock wants to stay on.... to Christmas?

This may be taking his interview comments too literally, but it does sound as if he wants to stay with the club at the end of the season and at least start the next season - whatever league we are in.

I was surprised to hear him talk about 'up to Christmas' and imply (I think) that a new manager could then replace him. He also suggested he could play a big role in finding his successor.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone (almost) propose a January managerial change before.... 8 months before!

Interesting. Although I think it is much more likely that he would stay a full season with full Board support.

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...port-from-fans

Neil Warnock has hailed Cardiff fans and said he would like to return next year, whether they stay in the Premier League or not.

Warnock's side are currently 18th in the Premier League, five points behind Southampton and Brighton, with six games to drag themselves out of the relegation zone. They play Burnley at Turf Moor on Saturday.

After a 12th-place Championship finish in Warnock's first year at Cardiff in 2016/17, he guided them to promotion last year and is currently under contract until 2020.

The 70-year-old said he expects to see out that deal with the club - even if they do not avoid relegation - because of the way he has been treated at the club.

"Our fans have been amazing," Warnock told Sky Sports. "Absolutely amazing. I've never known a group like this support me like this.

"If they weren't supportive, it wouldn't be a problem for me walking out.

"Unless Vincent (Tan) comes to me and says 'we'd like a change, Neil, thank you very much' then there's no way I am going to walk out on this lot yet.

"I think I owe it to them in the last year of my contract to look forward - whatever division we are in - and take it up towards Christmas and then, the club has got to be looking for a manager. Hopefully I can help them find one.

"But you just don't know what's around the corner."

Although he has achieved great success in the Championship - gaining a record eight promotions from the division over his career - Warnock admitted he would not consider returning there except if it was not with Cardiff.

"I think if it was with another club, I don't think I'd want to go back into that situation," he said.

"But it's this club and what they've done for me. The fans - as I have said - have been amazing."

However, Warnock could not guarantee standout loan players Victor Camarasa and Harry Arter would stay if Cardiff are relegated.

Re: Neil Warnock wants to stay on.... to Christmas?

Does his contract run out at Christmas maybe?

“The 70-year-old said he expects to see out that deal with the club”

Contract expires in June 2020 I think

I just read it that around Christmas the club need to be preparing for the following summer when he will leave.

Whatever it means, I think it's excellent news he will be with us for at least the start of our campaign next season.

As has been discussed before in other threads, we have the basis of a decent squad to do well in the Championship, should the worst scenario happen.

He also deserves the support for the way he has picked our team back up after being knocked down, on and off the field, time and time again this season.

Great news Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I just read it that around Christmas the club need to be preparing for the following summer when he will leave.
    That’s how I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Whatever it means, I think it's excellent news he will be with us for at least the start of our campaign next season.

As has been discussed before in other threads, we have the basis of a decent squad to do well in the Championship, should the worst scenario happen.

He also deserves the support for the way he has picked our team back up after being knocked down, on and off the field, time and time again this season.

Great news Neil
    yes id run with that ,better the devil you know,we haven't got huge finances ,to buy a new management team and new squad ,he's good and better than most in the Championship , whcih is our likely destination .

NW has been a tonic in every way possible these last few seasons and has repaired the club enormously after considerable toxicity and division - but I think that the third appearance in the Premier League (if ever attained) should be courtesy of a "modern" manager with a more continental style as opposed to the Burnley 'old English' model, which I fear is not destined to survive long term.

International

I read that as him saying "I'll start them off then find some to come in maybe Jan to learn the club before I leave at the end of the season". It would make sense but would tend to exclude an already 'top' manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    That time will be absolutely critical and will propel us forward or set us back seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    That time will be absolutely critical and will propel us forward or set us back seasons.
    Forwards or backwards then?

He needs to start arranging proper pre season games now then, and not the quality that we have had the past couple of years

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    He needs to start arranging proper pre season games now then, and not the quality that we have had the past couple of years
    I used to worry about this sort of thing. However, our promotion season hardly had the best pre-season. Wales had very little preparation in terms of friendlies prior to Euro 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Forwards or backwards then?
    Either, or the opposite of either, or somewhere in between both or the opposites.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I used to worry about this sort of thing. However, our promotion season hardly had the best pre-season. Wales had very little preparation in terms of friendlies prior to Euro 2016.
    Quite right, does it really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Quite right, does it really matter?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I would slightly disagree , as long as the squad is bought , assembled ,ready, and together as a unit ,early doors, surely, that's the key .