+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Just got back....

Just got back....

And despite being abused by two of our low life fans for asking them to move out of our seats (at 2:20 when the stand was empty) I don’t feel too despondent despite our chances of avoiding relegation decreasing again after another defeat.

It was a scrappy game all round with neither side showing much poise. I was surprised how dominant the Burnley centre backs were and we got little out of them all game.

Our first half performance was spirited but didn’t produce much in front of goal whereas Burnley hit the post very early on, scored pretty easily from a corner and created 2 identical chances both leaving Westwood with just Etheridge to beat inside the box, with Etheridge making routine saves both times. It really could have been 2 or even 3 nil.

The second half was a different story and we absolutely dominated the first 25 mins, knocking the ball around and pinning Burnley in their half.

The turning point was Mike ‘It isn’t all about you Mike’ Dean awarding us a penalty for handball, only to consult the lino and then change his mind. I don’t remember ever seeing this before in a game. Now, I haven’t seen a replay yet but it looked like Dean hesitated before awarding the penalty so I suspect that the lino gave it, which would be strange as the lino was on the other side of the pitch and would have had a poorer view I suspect.

Anyway changing his mind seemed farcical but in fairness to the City players they kept on playing and Hoilett missed a glorious chance from about 12 yards shortly afterwards, putting the ball way over the bar.

If we’d just got a break in this period then the result could have been quite different (we had two other very good penalty appeals turned down - I was to see Gunner’s one again!) but Burnley then managed to stifle the game and created a couple of decent chances themselves which Etheridge again did well to keep out.

The team kept going to the end and the second goal was meaningless as it was so late on by which time Morrison was playing up front.

It was frustrating how we came out and went from playing well, creating chances and dominating the opposition, to losing possession so easily and the game fizzling out.

Zohore didn’t do much and Murphy was as inconsistent as usual but the 3 substitutions, despite being positive, had little effect.

Again, I have no complaints about the players’ effort today. Burnley play a bit like us but are nothing special. (Losing to them at home was a joke)

Thanks again to the two morons sitting in our seats, who were so rude to me (one had orange hair and glasses and the other looked like he needed a shower and a square meal). An embarrassment to their parents.

Re: Just got back....

We had the luck of the green with a penalty reversal earlier in the season I think it was against Brighton

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    We had the luck of the green with a penalty reversal earlier in the season I think it was against Brighton
    Huddersfield at home in January wasn't it?

Given for a Bennett trip (was just outside the box) but then the ref consulted and reversed it - and gave the foul to us!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Huddersfield at home in January wasn't it?

Given for a Bennett trip (was just outside the box) but then the ref consulted and reversed it - and gave the foul to us!
    Yes it was.

At the same game we also had some other major decisions given against us.

Yesterday wasn’t just one, it was a catalogue of them.

Agree with Des, first half we could have been 3-0 down, but poor finishing and good keeping kept us in it..

2nd half also went as Des says, but the penalty shouts going against us took away momentum and opportunities. I felt if we had scored then we had a good chance of winning as we were playing well at that point and well on top.

After the Gunnar one was turned down I knew that was it

Did City manage a genuine effort on target yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Yes it was.

At the same game we also had some other major decisions given against us.

Yesterday wasn’t just one, it was a catalogue of them.

Agree with Des, first half we could have been 3-0 down, but poor finishing and good keeping kept us in it..

2nd half also went as Des says, but the penalty shouts going against us took away momentum and opportunities. I felt if we had scored then we had a good chance of winning as we were playing well at that point and well on top.

After the Gunnar one was turned down I knew that was it
    Des?

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Weren’t you at the game then?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Weren’t you at the game then?
    No, but apparently you were so perhaps you can answer the question.

No, but apparently you were so perhaps you can answer the question.
    Don’t you have access to the Sky Football or BBC Sports app, or the wider internet? I very much suspect that you do. I THINK that they provide all of these stats plus a lot more if you would like to look. I know how much you like to judge by them.

Alternatively, you COULD choose to actually go to a game yourself and form you own opinions? (Then you can argue with yourself instead of everyone else)

The one stopped by Mees arm was goal bound

Don’t you have access to the Sky Football or BBC Sports app, or the wider internet? I very much suspect that you do. I THINK that they provide all of these stats plus a lot more if you would like to look. I know how much you like to judge by them.

Alternatively, you COULD choose to actually go to a game yourself and form you own opinions? (Then you can argue with yourself instead of everyone else)
    I wonder why you got abused in the way you did yesterday? Could it possibly because you're a smarmy prick?

The stats on the BBC website suggest City had two shots on target, but I didn't hear either mentioned on the Soccer Saturday summaries and didn't see anything on the Match of the day highlights, so I thought I'd ask those who were there if there were any proper efforts on target. It was a really simple question. There had been a pre-match clamour for Zohore to start the game, so I was wondering if he actually managed to do anything of note. That's all. However, you chose to attempt to be a clever **** as opposed to answer a straightforward question. Kind of sums this message board up these days, sadly.

I wonder why you got abused in the way you did yesterday? Could it possibly because you're a smarmy prick?

The stats on the BBC website suggest City had two shots on target, but I didn't hear either mentioned on the Soccer Saturday summaries and didn't see anything on the Match of the day highlights, so I thought I'd ask those who were there if there were any proper efforts on target. It was a really simple question. There had been a pre-match clamour for Zohore to start the game, so I was wondering if he actually managed to do anything of note. That's all. However, you chose to attempt to be a clever **** as opposed to answer a straightforward question. Kind of sums this message board up these days, sadly.
    We could have Ronaldo up front and he wouldn't get a sniff. We rarely create chances. Playing up front in this team is thankless.

And there you have it. You reap what you sow.

If you contributed regularly you'd know that the messageboard has got better of late. But you have chosen not to. Coincidence? I think not.

Btw, you asked 'There had been a pre-match clamour for Zohore to start the game, so I was wondering if he actually managed to do anything of note' - did you actually read what I wrote? It is really quite simple.

I tried to watch the game, via a paid-for website, using my laptop in a bar close to where I work. Unfortunately, there was too much buffering and I had to head for home and try and catch the second half on my home pc. I arrived just as the first half had finished and they duely showed highlights of the first 45 mins... not one attempt at goal by the City was shown. So from that I assumed we didn't have any attempt on target the first half? The second half that I watched it seemed we did create chances, but I don't recall any on target.

Perhaps the penalties debate has taken the spotlight away from how impotent we were in front of goal...

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I tried to watch the game, via a paid-for website, using my laptop in a bar close to where I work. Unfortunately, there was too much buffering and I had to head for home and try and catch the second half on my home pc. I arrived just as the first half had finished and they duely showed highlights of the first 45 mins... not one attempt at goal by the City was shown. So from that I assumed we didn't have any attempt on target the first half? The second half that I watched it seemed we did create chances, but I don't recall any on target.

Perhaps the penalties debate has taken the spotlight away from how impotent we were in front of goal...
    This ultimately is why we are going down.

If you don't create and test their keeper ultimately you're not getting many points. For all our huffing and puffing we create very little most games and when we do we usually miss those chances (see Hoilett yesterday).

We have known we needed a striker for the best part of a year and more and not remedied it (we all know the Sala situation didn't help but we knew for quite some time prior to this).

This coupled with the fact our defence ship goals they didn't last season and have proven they cannot cope with the step up means we are going down I'm afraid.

The niggling feeling of some meaningful cash spent at the right time for a striker being the difference and choosing not to doesn't make it any easier to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    We could have Ronaldo up front and he wouldn't get a sniff. We rarely create chances. Playing up front in this team is thankless.
    We have a real chance to rectify that.
    We are virtually down and have Niasse, Camarasa and Arter all ending loan deals.
    We now have a good idea that Zohore and Ralls are only back up players, meaning our midfield and strike force is now completely depleted.
    We now need to look for much better combinations.
    Unfortunately the news that Warnock will stay for another year makes me think that coaching, youth development, tactics, style and the inability to convince good players to join, will continue.

He put himself about and put a chance on a plate for Hoilett, who should have scored

Des?

;-)
    Sorry Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

One shot from Murphy straight at Heaton 1st half.

Would undoubtedly have been a 2nd if he wasn’t hauled down.

Shot blocked with hand second half, a few off target and 1 or 2 weakish ones. Our best chances were spoiled by handballs and trips 😉

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    He put himself about and put a chance on a plate for Hoilett, who should have scored
    I've got a bit of sympathy for hoilett, that wasn't an easy one to take first time, the pass had pace on it and it looked like it bobbled slightly. Maybe Hoilett could've taken a touch. Good work from ken though and great movement from Hoilett to put himself in the position.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I've got a bit of sympathy for hoilett, that wasn't an easy one to take first time, the pass had pace on it and it looked like it bobbled slightly. Maybe Hoilett could've taken a touch. Good work from ken though and great movement from Hoilett to put himself in the position.
    Looked like Zohore hit it into the ground a little and it bounced up, I thought it had maybe flicked up off the penalty spot, but it sat up before then.
    I think he was already swinging before it reached him.

Tough day for Hoillet, he had dogs abuse off the home fans for being ex-Blackburn