+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Norwich just gave away a harsh handball penalty

Norwich just gave away a harsh handball penalty

If that's handball, then both of ours yesterday must have been. Personally I don't think any of them were penalties ( other than the foul on Gunnerson) but it seems now if it touches your hand they give it. Unless you play for Cardiff that is!

Re: Norwich just gave away a harsh handball penalty

It's the inconsistency in how they interpret it. I've seen both of ours yesterday given, we were unlucky in that respect. It's a rule that definitely needs clearing up as it clearly isn't just given for intentional handball.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    It's the inconsistency in how they interpret it. I've seen both of ours yesterday given, we were unlucky in that respect. It's a rule that definitely needs clearing up as it clearly isn't just given for intentional handball.
    I agree. I think its ridiculous that penalties are given for when the ball just hits someone's hand like the Man City one this week for example. I've seen some people advocate giving penalties if it just hits a players hand as a remedy but if they done this then players like Messi and Neymar would just flick the ball up into a players hand and it would be carnage!

I do sympathise with those who say it's the volume of decisions that are going against us but I think the two hand ball decisions would have been harsh.

The Gunnarsson one was a definite penalty though as the defender got his body in a bad decision and tripped Gunnarsson. Stonewall penalty in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Deliberate handball is impossible to call for sure. I think they're taking it out if the laws next season but it's been a lottery for too long and we certainly suffered yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    If that's handball, then both of ours yesterday must have been. Personally I don't think any of them were penalties ( other than the foul on Gunnerson) but it seems now if it touches your hand they give it. Unless you play for Cardiff that is!
    For me, if it hits your arm, other than if it’s smashed at you from less than a metre, it should be a penalty

The one involving Morrison v Newcastle surely was no more a penalty than the 2 by Mee yesterday.

By the way, I think the third one didn’t hit his hand, although he did dive across with his back to us

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    The one involving Morrison v Newcastle surely was no more a penalty than the 2 by Mee yesterday.
    You're joking, right? Got to be.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    For me, if it hits your arm, other than if it’s smashed at you from less than a metre, it should be a penalty
    I see this argued a lot.

However if it is brought in then i am pretty sure getting the ball to hit an opponents arm in the box will become a very well worked on skill. Could even require a full.time coach as the rewards for doing so are huge.

I'm the other way. Unless it is like that gyan for ghana against Uruguay on the line (or that ridiculous bournmenth one v us) I'd let it go. Its very rarely deliberate. None of those yesterday were...

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    I see this argued a lot.

However if it is brought in then i am pretty sure getting the ball to hit an opponents arm in the box will become a very well worked on skill. Could even require a full.time coach as the rewards for doing so are huge.

I'm the other way. Unless it is like that gyan for ghana against Uruguay on the line (or that ridiculous bournmenth one v us) I'd let it go. Its very rarely deliberate. None of those yesterday were...
    Suarez did that silly handball. Gyan missed the penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    I see this argued a lot.

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You're joking, right? Got to be.
    No.
    Are you ?

I think the first one yesterday should have been a penalty. It stopped a goal bound shot that could have easily been a goal. I know there was very little the defender could do to get his hand out the way but if it stops a goal bound shot from that sort of distance then I think it should always be a penalty.