Thread: I'd actually rather

I'd actually rather

Be in our position than Brighton's now

Re: I'd actually rather

Nah they are still favs.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Be in our position than Brighton's now
    Because we have 6 realistic points to play for and they have just 3? Or because they are in freefall? Or because we have Warnock and they have Hughton? Or all of the above?

I'd rather have the points - Fulham beating Everton bothers me - but I do think there is a very real chance that they have earned their last point this season.

It’s a relegation battle, anything can happen. Both teams will continue to pull off unexpected results

Brighton play Spurs after Spurs play Man City twice, play Wolves also on a losing run, and they have a game in hand. Brighton are still favourites.

There's still a very long way to go and lots can happen along the way.

Brighton went into a home game against an out of form Bournemouth side that had lost eleven out of their last twelve matches and lost 5-0 (they were 2-0 down and doing nothing when the sending off occurred). They then had us (who had lost six out of seven) in another home game knowing that a draw would leave them needing just one point from fifteen to put us in a position where we needed to avoid defeat in either the Liverpool and Man United matches and blew it completely.

Brighton have been in woeful form for months and have lost that confidence they had at the Amex which enabled them to survive pretty comfortably last season, they've not suddenly lost form and I think it's realistic to believe that they aren't going to get many points from here on in. If we can beat Fulham and Palace, they're going to need to get four points from what looks a very tough run in - there's nothing in Brighton's form to say they can do that and so I can see where Gringo is coming from.

Brighton have won just 8pts this year 🤔

I would much rather be in Brighton's position than ours - 2 point lead and an extra game to play - but if it's a comparison of form and morale, then the only answer is CARDIFF!

Put it this way - it seems Brighton fans are in agreement with the OP:

https://www.northstandchat.com/showt...-Points-Needed

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Brighton went into a home game against an out of form Bournemouth side that had lost eleven out of their last twelve matches and lost 5-0 (they were 2-0 down and doing nothing when the sending off occurred). They then had us (who had lost six out of seven) in another home game knowing that a draw would leave them needing just one point from fifteen to put us in a position where we needed to avoid defeat in either the Liverpool and Man United matches and blew it completely.

Brighton have been in woeful form for months and have lost that confidence they had at the Amex which enabled them to survive pretty comfortably last season, they've not suddenly lost form and I think it's realistic to believe that they aren't going to get many points from here on in. If we can beat Fulham and Palace, they're going to need to get four points from what looks a very tough run in - there's nothing in Brighton's form to say they can do that and so I can see where Gringo is coming from.
    As someone who has been quite vocal about Cardiff's lethargy in the FA Cup in the last few seasons both in your blogs and on this MB, how much would you say, if at all, that Brighton's success in the competition has contributed to their huge loss in form and confidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Put it this way - it seems Brighton fans are in agreement with the OP:

https://www.northstandchat.com/showt...-Points-Needed
    I see one of them thinks Wolves will be distracted by their Cup Final appearance .

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    As someone who has been quite vocal about Cardiff's lethargy in the FA Cup in the last few seasons both in your blogs and on this MB, how much would you say, if at all, that Brighton's success in the competition has contributed to their huge loss in form and confidence?
    On a scale of one to ten, zero.

Brighton were 10th at the beginning of December. Over the last 18 games they've won 12 points, ironically as many points as games lost during that period. We've won 20 points over the same period.

They were scoring 1.4 goals a game up to that point. Only Fulham and Huddersfield have scored less goals than them since. Defensively, only Fulham, Huddersfield and Bournemouth have been worse than them since that point. They haven't scored in 5 games.

Wolves is the only game I fear. They've tended to switch off against the lower sides and Brighton are surely due a backlash at some point. Wolves are licking their wounds and, as against Burnley, I wonder how much they'll be up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Brighton were 10th at the beginning of December. Over the last 18 games they've won 12 points, ironically as many points as games lost during that period. We've won 20 points over the same period.

They were scoring 1.4 goals a game up to that point. Only Fulham and Huddersfield have scored less goals than them since. Defensively, only Fulham, Huddersfield and Bournemouth have been worse than them since that point. They haven't scored in 5 games.

Wolves is the only game I fear. They've tended to switch off against the lower sides and Brighton are surely due a backlash at some point. Wolves are licking their wounds and, as against Burnley, I wonder how much they'll be up for it.
    Yes of all the bloody teams i cant believe they are playing wolves. How many times have they let us down this season?

Absolutely.

Brighton had a decent Christmas, beating Everton and drawing with Arsenal and at West Ham. Their cup run has papered over some cracks, I think. Aside from a comfortable win in the 3rd round at Bournemouth, they were fortunate to get past West Brom, squeezed past Derby and won on penalties at Millwall. That run actually did little to improve their confidence, they couldn't turn it into a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Yes of all the bloody teams i cant believe they are playing wolves. How many times have they let us down this season?
    Wolves hate us. It's a conspiracy.

Thought you might say that, otherwise the content of those pieces would be fanciful.

Personally I think that they looked little more than a poor championship side tonight completely out of ideas.
    I do find it hard to believe that you don't think that mental fatigue has any bearing on a team, let alone physical, and playing four or five extra games is in no way a factor.

Of course you are entitled to your opinions, many I agree with. On this occasion however, I don't

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Thought you might say that, otherwise the content of those pieces would be fanciful.

Personally I think that they looked little more than a poor championship side tonight completely out of ideas.
    I do find it hard to believe that you don't think that mental fatigue has any bearing on a team, let alone physical, and playing four or five extra games is in no way a factor.

Of course you are entitled to your opinions, many I agree with. On this occasion however, I don't
    Brighton are going to play less games than we've done for all but one of the last thirty odd seasons I make it. There's too much made of how many matches Premier League teams play - we're going to play the least number of games in a season in our history this year.

Brighton are away to Wolves this weekend and they’ve been shite against the lesser teams this season.

Brighton are going to play less games than we've done for all but one of the last thirty odd seasons I make it. There's too much made of how many matches Premier League teams play - we're going to play the least number of games in a season in our history this year.
    Not played anywhere near this standard and intensity.

Out of interest then, to what do you attribute Cardiff, right up against it and v. little quality (a given to most on here) making Brighton (far more experienced in the EPL with a brief of just don't lose) look so bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Because we have 6 realistic points to play for and they have just 3? Or because they are in freefall? Or because we have Warnock and they have Hughton? Or all of the above?

I'd rather have the points - Fulham beating Everton bothers me - but I do think there is a very real chance that they have earned their last point this season.
    I’d say they got 6 to play for. Wolves blow hot and cold.

But Brighton look ****ed! I’d defo rather be in our position, they’re displaying relegation form. We just had our best performance, away from home as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    I’d say they got 6 to play for. Wolves blow hot and cold.

But Brighton look ****ed! I’d defo rather be in our position, they’re displaying relegation form. We just had our best performance, away from home as well.
    Wolves have been very sloppy this year in games they are expected to win

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Yes, this is a worry.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    But Brighton are a shambles at the moment.

I said it before Xmas when they were mid table. They will be that one team that slips away and gets sucked into a relegation battle. Cos they’re shit.