+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brighton are dropping like a stone... Cardiff should have no fear - Chris Sutton

Brighton are dropping like a stone... Cardiff should have no fear - Chris Sutton

"Tuesday's huge relegation decider is being billed as win or bust for Cardiff City but the same is true for Brighton.

Chris Hughton’s team may have a five-point cushion but they are dropping like a stone.

Having lost their last four games without scoring and suffering their worst home defeat for 46 years on Saturday, they will head into this vital clash with confidence at rock bottom.

Not only were Brighton toothless in attack and shaky in defence but the pressure of the relegation battle seems to be getting to them.

Anthony Knockaert’s outrageous lunge is a clear sign of frustration. His subsequent red card means his team will be lacking a key creative outlet for the next three games.

Why would this trip to the Amex hold any fear for Cardiff? Brighton are there for the taking. They cannot waste this opportunity.

Neil Warnock will feel wronged by refereeing decisions in the past few weeks but his team cannot afford to dwell on them. They need to take ownership, impose themselves on the game and play on any anxiety shown by their hosts.

Win it and Cardiff will believe they can stay up. With Fulham and Crystal Palace still to play, their run-in is more favourable.

Brighton still have to go to Wolves, Tottenham and Arsenal before hosting Manchester City — who may still be in a race for the title — on the final day.

Hughton needs a response from his players... and quickly. "

Re: Brighton are dropping like a stone... Cardiff should have no fear - Chris Sutton

We seem to have a problem scoring though. A goal-scoring forward may have given us a chance to stay up but it's not to be.

Re: Brighton are dropping like a stone... Cardiff should have no fear - Chris Sutton

We need to go for this.

Massive fan of Warnock but if he keeps it tight til 70 mins and tries to nick one in the last 20 it'll be annoying as fck. Go after them, they're there to be beat.

agreed - if we sit back they will get more confidant - we need to be up and at them from the off.

Shit or bust

Where would posters on here prefer to be? 5 points ahead with a game in hand or us with easier fixtures. We are massive underdogs and to be realistic we are down.

Totally agree with the above two posts. Brighton are like a boxer on the ropes. We have to go for them from the start. We play our normal game we will let them back into it. Time to be brave.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Where would posters on here prefer to be? 5 points ahead with a game in hand or us with easier fixtures. We are massive underdogs and to be realistic we are down.
    Right now, 5 points ahead with a game in hand and the team below at home.

But if we win tomorrow, 2 points ahead and Man City at home with Arsenal, Spurs and Wolves away and I'd rather be us. All on tomorrow for me.

if nothing else - it's exciting!

First Team

It really is the proverbial six pointer. Lose and it looks desperate for us as City are just running out of games. Win and whilst not in the Box seat we can look at the remaining fixtures with some hope.

Lose and it's over. We're never going to make-up an 8 point deficit over 4 games.

I can't make this one, so I'm going to watch Stratford Town v Cinderford Town in the Southern League Cup final. The phone will be off, staying away from the TV. I'll check at 9pm, hopefully 3 points in our favour.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    We need to go for this.

Massive fan of Warnock but if he keeps it tight til 70 mins and tries to nick one in the last 20 it'll be annoying as fck. Go after them, they're there to be beat.
    I agree, they will be nervous and still allover the place after The Bournemouth game, we need to go for them from the off not sit back and let them get confident again. Do this Neil and you’ve blown it.....Bournemouth harangued them allover the place, we need to do the same..

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Definitely 5 points ahead. With a chance to play the only team that can catch you at home? No brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I can't make this one, so I'm going to watch Stratford Town v Cinderford Town in the Southern League Cup final. The phone will be off, staying away from the TV. I'll check at 9pm, hopefully 3 points in our favour.
    Top decision at least you'll see some goal area action , tough refereeing, no nordic VAR god like interruptions .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Top decision at least you'll see some goal area action , tough refereeing, no nordic VAR god like interruptions .
    tried that, didn`t check the scores until sunday evening. that worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I'm watching Juve v Ajax, I even chucked some money on it

Why do some posters think Brighton will be nervous? 5 points ahead, and playing one of the bottom 3 at home.
    We have shown very little this season to suggest we can go into this game with any confidence. We just do not have the players to score the goals needed.
    Chris Hughton has the easiest teamtalk ever.
    Go out and win or draw, against a team in dire straits who can’t score, and you stay in the biggest league in the world.
    I’m going to Brighton tonight, and I’ll get right behind the team as usual, but I have little hope of us staying up.

They were very nervous v Bournemouth, if you saw it you would see the amount of unforced mistakes made. It’s not easy to just move on from that? Also similar when they capitulated at home to Burnley. Still, we all know that other forces are in operation in the PL.
    tonight will tell us everything about where we will be next season.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Why do some posters think Brighton will be nervous? 5 points ahead, and playing one of the bottom 3 at home.
    We have shown very little this season to suggest we can go into this game with any confidence. We just do not have the players to score the goals needed.
    Go out and win or draw, against a team in dire straits who can’t score, and you stay in the biggest league in the world.
    I’m going to Brighton tonight, and I’ll get right behind the team as usual, but I have little hope of us staying up.
    Not for the 1st time in my life, City have made me eat my words when I least expect it. Not that I’m complaining. Stayed over near Brighton and about to drive home.
    Always remember my old neighbour telling me when I was a kid, “if your going to be a City fan, always expect the worse, and anything else will be a bonus”
    It’s still gonna be a big ask, but after saying Brighton wouldn’t be nervous, and seeing last night how bad they were, I think it’s up to us now to find the 3/4 points which I believe will keep us up, as I don’t see Brighton getting anything in their last 4 games.

Must have been an amazing match to be at. I think if wolves can do us a favour this weekend it’ll be a nervous last few weeks for Brighton.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Must have been an amazing match to be at. I think if wolves can do us a favour this weekend it’ll be a nervous last few weeks for Brighton.
    Wolves have got their own reasons to win. They're in a race for seventh.

So how did that go in the end?

Not for the 1st time in my life, City have made me eat my words when I least expect it. Not that I’m complaining. Stayed over near Brighton and about to drive home.
    Always remember my old neighbour telling me when I was a kid, “if your going to be a City fan, always expect the worse, and anything else will be a bonus”
    It’s still gonna be a big ask, but after saying Brighton wouldn’t be nervous, and seeing last night how bad they were, I think it’s up to us now to find the 3/4 points which I believe will keep us up, as I don’t see Brighton getting anything in their last 4 games.