+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame

Re: Notre Dame

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    How can new masonry, timberwork and artwork replace that which was centuries older? I can't see it being the same myself.
    It works in a similar way as Trigger's sweeping brush.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    It’s a bit like Triggers broom he had for 15 yrs. ��
    On a more serious note, the most wondrous thing for me about Notre Dame, as with many older iconic buildings all over the world, is how people over 800yrs ago, managed to build such stunning, high buildings with limited resources.
    Too quick for me.

It’s a bit like Triggers broom he had for 15 yrs. 😂
    On a more serious note, the most wondrous thing for me about Notre Dame, as with many older iconic buildings all over the world, is how people over 800yrs ago, managed to build such stunning, high buildings with limited resources.
    Another thing that amazes me is that people of yesteryear built masterpieces, timescales lasting a hundred years or more, which they would never live long enough to see in all their splendour.

Built to last and for the pleasure of future generations.

Notre Dame will no doubt will be returned to its former glory, especially seeing the sums of money already donated. You just have to hope that future generations look after it better than ours!

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Mad as a fish View Post
    Sorry but it was just a useless religeous building. I would have been more upset if a house in Wales had burned down and left a family homeless.
    it is owned by the french state, which is secular

It's a shame to see a fantastic building go up in smoke but it's not a tragedy

The death of all those people in the Grenfell tower block fire ......that was a tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

The death of all those people in the Grenfell tower block fire ......that was a tragedy
    Why stop at that incident when you could have compared it to the Holocaust? What's the point of such comparisons?

It's not a competition.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Ken Follett (Cardiff author)'s most famous novel is Pillars Of The Earth, the construction of a cathedral in an English city in the 12th century. It's a good read.
    Fantastic read👍

Why stop at that incident when you could have compared it to the Holocaust? What's the point of such comparisons?
    It's just a building , that's why

Nearly 100 people died in the tower block , some jumping to their deaths

Not going to waste any more time argueing about a bloody church catching fire

People are more important than buildings

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It's not a competition.
    How many people died in the Notre dame fire last night

There are thousands of kids dying in conflict and in starvation right now all over the world , I'd rather donate money to help them than fund the building of a bloody church

How many people died in the Notre dame fire last night

There are thousands of kids dying in conflict and in starvation right now all over the world , I'd rather donate money to help them than fund the building of a bloody church
    Oh it is a competition. Sorry.

It's just a building , that's why

Nearly 100 people died in the tower block , some jumping to their deaths

Not going to waste any more time argueing about a bloody church catching fire

People are more important than buildings
    It's not a matter of one thing versus another though, is it?

Why have you even brought that up? Grenfell was a human tragedy, This is a tragedy as in over 800 yrs of history, and a remarkable building has been destroyed. I think most of us on here can distinguish the difference.

Why have you even brought that up? Grenfell was a human tragedy, This is a tragedy as in over 800 yrs of history, and a remarkable building has been destroyed. I think most of us on here can distinguish the difference.
    Think of this when communicating with Sludge!!
    https://youtu.be/zP8V0k4wRrk

It's not a matter of one thing versus another though, is it?
    Maybe not, but it is an interesting comparison nevertheless.

Even one day on it looks as if the government and donor response to the (state owned) Notre Dame fire has been much greater than to Grenfell Tower where 72 innocent people died in horrific circumstances.

Heritage valued more than lives?

It is very sad to see the destruction in Paris, and I hope the building can be restored. But there is always a choice about how resources are used and what is a priority. Grenfell survivors would have had a much easier life in the last 22 months if they had been given 400m euros by billionaire well-wishers, and I bet the French government will be quicker and more effective than Theresa May's useless administration has been.

Knock it down and build a block of flats for the homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Maybe not, but it is an interesting comparison nevertheless.

Even one day on it looks as if the government and donor response to the (state owned) Notre Dame fire has been much greater than to Grenfell Tower where 72 innocent people died in horrific circumstances.

Heritage valued more than lives?

It is very sad to see the destruction in Paris, and I hope the building can be restored. But there is always a choice about how resources are used and what is a priority. Grenfell survivors would have had a much easier life in the last 22 months if they had been given 400m euros by billionaire well-wishers, and I bet the French government will be quicker and more effective than Theresa May's useless administration has been.
    Spot on Jon. Paris is a city not without it's own social issues, issues that a fraction of this money could go some way to solving.

Funny how they have been donated all this money to rebuild a decking church ......which if god existed he would have saved from the fire ....yet thousands of the city's poor are struggling in run down housing estates on the fringes of the city

And god fearing right winger Theresa may has decieded all the churches in this country will ring their bells in support of Paris this Thursday , the start of holy week

What a load of utter cobblers religion and state symbolism is

Think of what could be done to help those in need with all that money pledged

What a fecking disgrace

I am surprised they aren't all wearing black and having a funeral

Funny how they have been donated all this money to rebuild a decking church ......which if god existed he would have saved from the fire ....yet thousands of the city's poor are struggling in run down housing estates on the fringes of the city

And god fearing right winger Theresa may has decieded all the churches in this country will ring their bells in support of Paris this Thursday , the start of holy week

What a load of utter cobblers religion and state symbolism is

Think of what could be done to help those in need with all that money pledged

What a fecking disgrace

I am surprised they aren't all wearing black and having a funeral
    Always so blinkered against Christianity and supportive of Islam.

Why?

Would you have been so outraged if it had been the Mosque in Mecca that had burned and Muslims (and others) had pledged a lot of money to rebuild it?

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post

Why?

Would you have been so outraged if it had been the Mosque in Mecca that had burned and Muslims (and others) had pledged a lot of money to rebuild it?
    Yeah sludge, you are always on here shaking us down for money for your burnt down mosques you bloody hypocrite.

Why?

I think all religion is total bollocks including Christianity and Islam

For the record

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Yeah sludge, you are always on here shaking us down for money for your burnt down mosques you bloody hypocrite.
    Peace be upon him

More bloody nonsense

Why?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN15E2QL

What a waste of money.

International

The thing is the place is owned by the french state not by the church.
    Let them pay for it themselves, maybe put up taxes to pay for it and see how the "Yellow vests" like them apples.

This is a country that dislikes us, the British because we beat them so often and saved them from the peril of the hun twice. They have not and never will forgive us.
    They declared war on this country 6 times in less than 100 years, and lost every one. some of those wars were instigated in the name of the church who originally owned the place. The last time they declared war it was with the clearly stated intent of wiping the British nation and it's way of life from the face of the earth and from history. Feck their monument!
    Even in the 2nd WW we weren't 'allowed' to bomb the Germans in Paris in case we damaged their precious buildings. I don't ever recall reading anything about them protesting about the Germans bombing Buckingham Palace or St Pancras, or the poor buggers in the East end, or trying to demolish St Paul's.

I also don't recall them rushing to offer funds to rebuild Windsor castle when that caught fire!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The thing is the place is owned by the french state not by the church.
    Let them pay for it themselves, maybe put up taxes to pay for it and see how the "Yellow vests" like them apples.

This is a country that dislikes us, the British because we beat them so often and saved them from the peril of the hun twice. They have not and never will forgive us.
    They declared war on this country 6 times in less than 100 years, and lost every one. some of those wars were instigated in the name of the church who originally owned the place. The last time they declared war it was with the clearly stated intent of wiping the British nation and it's way of life from the face of the earth and from history. Feck their monument!
    Even in the 2nd WW we weren't 'allowed' to bomb the Germans in Paris in case we damaged their precious buildings. I don't ever recall reading anything about them protesting about the Germans bombing Buckingham Palace or St Pancras, or the poor buggers in the East end, or trying to demolish St Paul's.

I also don't recall them rushing to offer funds to rebuild Windsor castle when that caught fire!!!!
    You're Nigel Farage and I claim my 5 Euros.