Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
The thing is the place is owned by the french state not by the church.
Let them pay for it themselves, maybe put up taxes to pay for it and see how the "Yellow vests" like them apples.

This is a country that dislikes us, the British because we beat them so often and saved them from the peril of the hun twice. They have not and never will forgive us.
They declared war on this country 6 times in less than 100 years, and lost every one. some of those wars were instigated in the name of the church who originally owned the place. The last time they declared war it was with the clearly stated intent of wiping the British nation and it's way of life from the face of the earth and from history. Feck their monument!
Even in the 2nd WW we weren't 'allowed' to bomb the Germans in Paris in case we damaged their precious buildings. I don't ever recall reading anything about them protesting about the Germans bombing Buckingham Palace or St Pancras, or the poor buggers in the East end, or trying to demolish St Paul's.

I also don't recall them rushing to offer funds to rebuild Windsor castle when that caught fire!!!!
Wow, that's quite a rant. I've never heard anyone complain that we didn't bomb Paris during the war.