+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Climate protesting tossers

Re: Climate protesting tossers

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    How many public protests in China by foreign nationals have changed their government policies, mate?
    How many public protests anywhere in the world have changed government policies?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    How many public protests anywhere in the world have changed government policies?
    Poll tax protests?

Poll tax protests?
    I’d say the main reason the poll tax was scrapped, was the sheer volume of numbers who refused to pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    You're totally wrong. The UK's record on the environment is as good as any Western economy. Go to China [not by plane though], where the are building a coal-fired power station every month. India, Pakistan, etc.

These people do f*ck all, just tell others how to live - dont' fly, don't eat meat, don't drive. Yet they're nearly all privileged, with the time and money to go round screwing everybody else before they go back to Mummy and Daddy and their ponies..
    Isn't that sort of their point though? Saying our record is as good as any other Western nation and far better than worst performing isn't good enough, we're in a position where doing what is comfortable isn't good enough, and while we can't control what China is doing we can control what the UK is doing. There are protestors in other nations, perhaps not China, who are saying exactly the same thing with their countries respectively.

Privileged voice giving that message or not, it seems to be a clear statement about how close we are as a planet to things getting very messy.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Climate change is the biggest threat to the world, brexit is feck all, yet countries are playing lip service, including ours.
    Good luck to the protesters.
    💪
    You ahve a point. We are due an ice age, so keep those greenhouse gasses going.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Because they're the real polluters.

My point is, if they want to make a noise, take on the real polluting countries not ours , fly into China, Russia or India ,they won't though as they know what they will get (and it won't be softly, softly policing )
    They pay the wages of the people who make policy here in this country. What business do they have protesting in China or Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I’d say the main reason the poll tax was scrapped, was the sheer volume of numbers who refused to pay it.
    well observed and a fact

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    They pay the wages of the people who make policy here in this country. What business do they have protesting in China or Russia?
    We've had a 16 year old Swedish woman who has been speaking out in London, Rome and I believe a number of other cities. We've heard of a woman from L.A. travelling over.

If people believe in Globalisation, which personally I don't believe is ultimately a good thing, then ultimately they 'should' by right be able to protest where the worst protagonists are.

It's not as though the pollution from China or Russia or USA or any country doesn't affect the rest of the world.

We all have a duty to try enforce change, but for change to happen, we the consumers have to make compromises in the way we buy, spend, and dispose. We need to change our shopping habits.

Brazil's new president is actively encouraging Amazonian deforestation in the name of economic growth. Why, because of Western gluttony.

Just step back in time and look at how things were 40 to 50 years ago.

There were different forms of pollution from coal, etc...

The number of cars have dramatically increased, the number of trips abroad, the number of flights all around the world massively increased. The use of plastics and polystyrene in all sorts of packaging from multi pack foods that most families throw away to the insatiable consumption of electrical goods, along with the throwaway society that we have become.

We have to play our part and demand the supermarkets reduce ALL packaging to its absolute minimum, food and electrical manufacturers to reduce their packaging, to buy what we need rather than what we see as 'keeping up with the Joneses'.

The mugs who are the paying public, pay their 5 or 10p for carrier bags that advertise the supermarkets, yet with their billion £ profits, they could invest in the technology that would create biodegradable single use bags that they should give for free.

In California, a number of the large stores use recycled strong paper bags, that are then able to be recycled again.

A lot of the rubbish from the utter crap food outlets such as McDonald's is just thrown on the floor or out of consumer's cars, because they're too lazy to walk a few yards to throw in a bin. Their bins could be improved with what they claim to be food waste, plastic and paper/cardboard waste in seperate bins.

The corporates get away with so much and we keep feeding their profits without thought or conscience.

The throwaway of sweatshop bought clothing, because 'we can' afford to do so, yet many who do throw away so much, don't spare a thought for the good causes where that money could be better spent.

We need to empower our Government's to act against these and to enact many other changes for the better of our country and our world.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Because they're the real polluters.

My point is, if they want to make a noise, take on the real polluting countries not ours , fly into China, Russia or India ,they won't though as they know what they will get (and it won't be softly, softly policing )
    It may seem unfair to some developing countries that pollution is being clamped down on when other countries already have the advantage of their industrial revolutions and reaped the benefits accordingly - although we know that something has to be done, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It may seem unfair to some developing countries that pollution is being clamped down on when other countries already have the advantage of their industrial revolutions and reaped the benefits accordingly - although we know that something has to be done, of course.
    Developing countries?, China, Russia, India are nuclear powers and are key space race powers, I do get what you are saying but these countries have enough wealth to be putting their wealth to making this earth a better place. I don't think its unfair at all to clamp down on China India and Russia.

Everyone knows China et al need to do more for climate change. I don’t know why this is seen as a legitimate argument against those thinking the also U.K. needs to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Everyone knows China et al need to do more for climate change. I don’t know why this is seen as a legitimate argument against those thinking the also U.K. needs to do something.
    The UK produces about 1% of global CO2 and that amount is falling quite quickly, year on year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47121399

3EFB7055-4F7E-4D6C-BABC-18F25B52BEC5.jpg

Even if we in the UK reduce our CO2 emissions to zero it would have a vanishingly minuscule effect on “climate change”.

Therefore these protests are a mix of virtue signalling and pissing in the wind.

The UK’s population is 4% of China’s though. So again I don’t see why getting the U.K. to improve its carbon emissions is a bad thing.

Everyone knows China needs to improve but so does every country.

The UK’s population is 4% of China’s though. So again I don’t see why getting the U.K. to improve its carbon emissions is a bad thing.

Everyone knows China needs to improve but so does every country.
    Why would China bow to anyone elses pressure if those countries aren't making big changes and improvements themselves?

We can't all pass the buck. Climate change, or "climate change", needs everyone mucking in.

Why would China bow to anyone elses pressure if those countries aren't making big changes and improvements themselves?

We can't all pass the buck. Climate change, or "climate change", needs everyone mucking in.
    The UK has made big changes. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47121399

Do you agree with all three demands of the Extinction Rebellion group?

https://rebellion.earth/the-truth/demands/

Im not sure how feasible they are but they’re good aims.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    The UK has made big changes. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47121399

Do you agree with all three demands of the Extinction Rebellion group?

https://rebellion.earth/the-truth/demands/
    We've made changes, arguable whether they're big enough. From that article:

"Overall, the UK has a target of cutting CO2 emissions 80% by 2050. Ministers are on track to meet their short-term goals, but the advisory Committee on Climate Change (CCC) says they are still short of policies to achieve long-term targets.

The CCC warns there’s also a big difference between the current UK target of 80% cuts and the increased ambition of virtually 100% cuts that ministers are likely to embrace."

Demands 1 and 2 seem fair. Not sure what 3 involves.

We've made changes, arguable whether they're big enough. From that article:

"Overall, the UK has a target of cutting CO2 emissions 80% by 2050. Ministers are on track to meet their short-term goals, but the advisory Committee on Climate Change (CCC) says they are still short of policies to achieve long-term targets.

The CCC warns there’s also a big difference between the current UK target of 80% cuts and the increased ambition of virtually 100% cuts that ministers are likely to embrace."

Demands 1 and 2 seem fair. Not sure what 3 involves.
    So for Demand 2 - reducing carbon emissions to net zero by 2025 - the UK would have to either cut all carbon emissions or cut some and offset the rest within six years. How will this be achieved? There are no firm, achievable policies being proposed as far as I know.

So for Demand 2 - reducing carbon emissions to net zero by 2025 - the UK would have to either cut all carbon emissions or cut some and offset the rest within six years. How will this be achieved? There are no firm, achievable policies being proposed as far as I know.
    That’s their job not ours isn’t it? They must have an idea if they’re planning on cutting it to 80% by 2050.

I assume all fossil fuel power stations replaced by nuclear and renewables is a start.

That’s their job not ours isn’t it? They must have an idea if they’re planning on cutting it to 80% by 2050.

I assume all fossil fuel power stations replaced by nuclear and renewables is a start.
    That’s whose job? You’ve lost me there. And reducing something to zero in 6 years sounds a lot less achievable than cutting something to 20% in 31 years.

You asked if I agreed. The UN said the world needs rapid and unprecedented action, that's what this is.

How to do it? Don't know, that's the problem but if we're working in that direction, as you say we are, then we need to continue but more quickly. I doubt we will as it's not a vote winner.

That’s whose job? You’ve lost me there. And reducing something to zero in 6 years sounds a lot less achievable than cutting something to 20% in 31 years.
    The governments job. They’re cutting it by 80% in 31 years. I’m sure it is a lot harder to achieve, does that mean they shouldn’t try?

When a protest has a demand they don’t expect them to definitely all be met, but ask for extreme things because it’s likely a compromise will be made.

The governments job. They’re cutting it by 80% in 31 years. I’m sure it is a lot harder to achieve, does that mean they shouldn’t try?

When a protest has a demand they don’t expect them to definitely all be met, but ask for extreme things because it’s likely a compromise will be made.
    Ok so you’re as clueless as to how this demand will be met as I am - or the virtue-signalling buffoons who think that getting arrested to save Gaia is cool or productive.

Ok so you’re as clueless as to how this demand will be met as I am - or the virtue-signalling buffoons who think that getting arrested to save Gaia is cool or productive.
    I work in alternative energy so not completely clueless but I’m not sure how they’d get 0% but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible.

Im clueless how end homelessness too but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible or should be ignored.

It sounds like you’ve just decided you don’t like the protesters and will take the counter point. I think a lot of how they’ve gone about things is the wrong way but that doesn’t mean they don’t have a point or aren’t championing a worthwhile cause.

It’s like having a go at the suffragettes for ruining horse racing.

Might save having to buy a holiday home in the South of France or Spain, a caravan in Tenby will be just as warm and easier to get too