+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 309 times this season or once every 10 minutes

309 times this season or once every 10 minutes

We have thrown the ball straight to the opposition from a throw in. Worst stats in the league by a distance.

Some other pointless but maybe interesting geeky stats here

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-index-2018-19

Re: 309 times this season or once every 10 minutes

For a number of years now I’ve wondered if we’re the worst team ever at taking throw ins, I don’t mean long throws but general ones where you should be able to throw to a team mate 2 yards away yet I can’t remember ever seeing a city player moving away from the opposition to create space for the ball to be thrown to them

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    We have thrown the ball straight to the opposition from a throw in. Worst stats in the league by a distance.

So when Morrison throws it 30 yards up the line and the opposition centre half heads it into touch then that’s a negative..

Some of those stats are useful or interesting but a lot are pointless

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    So when Morrison throws it 30 yards up the line and the opposition centre half heads it into touch then that’s a negative..

Some of those stats are useful or interesting but a lot are pointless
    A centre half taking a throw up in his own half is embarrassing at Premier League level.

It’s like under 10s. Get the big kid to throw the ball as far up the line as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    A centre half taking a throw up in his own half is embarrassing at Premier League level.

It’s like under 10s. Get the big kid to throw the ball as far up the line as possible.
    It works. It relieves pressure.

Nothing wrong with it

Nothing wrong with it
    Rubbish. It just hands possession back to the opposition.

It’s not rugby.

Nothing wrong with it
    I wouldn't say it works- or everyone would do it- but its probably the best way of playing given what we have.

Rubbish. It just hands possession back to the opposition.

It’s not rugby.
    It doesn’t. It leads to another throw to us , 30 yards further down the pitch

I wouldn't say it works- or everyone would do it- but its probably the best way of playing given what we have.
    Everyone else can’t do it.

To be fair, it's nice to see us topping a table or two .

Fair point. If we had the ball to feet, we'd give possession away more quickly.

Only when it doesn't work. If it works then it's basic football but it's not embarrassing, at least not for us.

Have we ever scored from Gunnarsson’s throw in? dmfhi! Bobby Woodruff still no.1 imho��

What on earth is the point of this thread. There is only one 'stat' that matters. Who gives a **** about our throw in ability ?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    What on earth is the point of this thread. There is only one 'stat' that matters. Who gives a **** about our throw in ability ?
    Have a look at the actual article. Its extremely tongue in cheek about lots of ridiculous stats like this.

Exactly. It does my head in. ****ing embarrassing.

This bit made me chuckle -

hats off to Cardiff City’s Neil Etheridge – a fine shot-stopper with the distribution of a drunken Deliveroo driver

I think that should be it occasionally leads to another throw to us, it also occasionally leads to a free kick for us, but, more often than not, it gives the ball back to our opponents and in what might turn out to be a crucial match in our season if we go down, it led to a huge hole in our defence through which an outplayed Burnley side went on their way to scoring one of their goals in a 2-1 win here in September.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think that should be it occasionally leads to another throw to us, it also occasionally leads to a free kick for us, but, more often than not, it gives the ball back to our opponents and in what might turn out to be a crucial match in our season if we go down, it led to a huge hole in our defence through which an outplayed Burnley side went on their way to scoring one of their goals in a 2-1 win here in September.
    I’d say more often than not it leads to another throw for us.

However if a defender heads it straight into touch that would still be reflected in the stats as us losing the ball.

So many times it’s helped us out of awkward situations when Morrison has been able to get it 30 yards down the line from being trapped in the corner.

As for the long throws into the box then there’s a much stronger chance of us actually getting the ball into a dangerous position that way than by playing it short due to the players we have got.

A bit of variety wouldn’t hurt - I agree on that.

Main point is the stat is flawed- as are so many

I’d say more often than not it leads to another throw for us.

However if a defender heads it straight into touch that would still be reflected in the stats as us losing the ball.

So many times it’s helped us out of awkward situations when Morrison has been able to get it 30 yards down the line from being trapped in the corner.

As for the long throws into the box then there’s a much stronger chance of us actually getting the ball into a dangerous position that way than by playing it short due to the players we have got.

A bit of variety wouldn’t hurt - I agree on that.

Main point is the stat is flawed- as are so many
    *Pedant alert*

The stat isn't flawed but the interpretation of the stat may be.

Didn't we score from a Gunnarson throw-in during Brighton at home?

I haven't marked down each time we've done a long throw and measured whether it's had a positive or negative effect. I trust that someone else at the club has and believe that it's more positive than negative, but if we haven't done that analysis then that is embarrassing. If we haven't done that analysis then, during this phase of the game, we're playing basic football and we haven't got a full idea as to why. But I think we all agree that variety makes it a more effective tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    *Pedant alert*

The stat isn't flawed but the interpretation of the stat may be.

Didn't we score from a Gunnarson throw-in during Brighton at home?

I haven't marked down each time we've done a long throw and measured whether it's had a positive or negative effect. I trust that someone else at the club has and believe that it's more positive than negative, but if we haven't done that analysis then that is embarrassing. If we haven't done that analysis then, during this phase of the game, we're playing basic football and we haven't got a full idea as to why. But I think we all agree that variety makes it a more effective tactic.
    Unsurprisingly rhe teams who give the ball away most are all fighting relegation. This should not be a shock to anyone.

However i take the point we probably do it deliberately. I would rather morrison throw it 30 yards down the line than throw it to any of our defenders. If other teams had the defenders we had they would probably calculate the same.