+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maradona

Re: Maradona

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He did win a world cup but he also won it by probably the worst act of cheating (but very funny) of all time.
    I never see the reason people say he cheated, the decision to award that goal was purely down to the officials not him. Was he expected to run to the ref after the goal was awarded and tell him to disallow it? The Chelsea player who put the ball in the net against us the other week, did he cheat,? His goal was just as ‘against the laws of the game, with the same outcome as Maradona’s’, should he have run to ref to tell him that he was offside? Roger Hunt in 1966, did he cheat? Raising his arm to convince the officials that Hurst’s shot had crossed the line? Nah, Maradona’s punched in goal was down to bad refereeing, not him, there’s goals galore that have been awarded the same way. Maradona’s is rammed down our throats by an enraged English press, the same press that would have purred with delight had someone like Gascoigne had scored one like it. ‘Gazza Hands It To The Argies’ would have been the Sun’s screaming headline no doubt.[/QUOTE]
    get off you can’t compare someone being slightly offside to Diego blatantly punching the ball in, I remember Klose handing the ball in the net and telling the ref to disallow the goal

He was a good but arrogant player.
    But for me, the greatest player I ever saw was Cruyff.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've always said that when Messi is part of an Argentina World Cup winning side I'll agree he is the best player ever, but, until then, Maradona, who won one virtually on his own, has to be the best - I reckon Wales Bales has got this right.
    I used to believe that Maradona won it on his own but that's simply not true Bob. Argentina conceded 3 goals all tournament now as much as I loved him that wasn't down to Maradona playing like 11 Bobby Moore's.

I like her new single. Bestie resigns supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I never see the reason people say he cheated, the decision to award that goal was purely down to the officials not him. Was he expected to run to the ref after the goal was awarded and tell him to disallow it? The Chelsea player who put the ball in the net against us the other week, did he cheat,? His goal was just as ‘against the laws of the game, with the same outcome as Maradona’s’, should he have run to ref to tell him that he was offside? Roger Hunt in 1966, did he cheat? Raising his arm to convince the officials that Hurst’s shot had crossed the line? Nah, Maradona’s punched in goal was down to bad refereeing, not him, there’s goals galore that have been awarded the same way. Maradona’s is rammed down our throats by an enraged English press, the same press that would have purred with delight had someone like Gascoigne had scored one like it. ‘Gazza Hands It To The Argies’ would have been the Sun’s screaming headline no doubt.
    get off you can’t compare someone being slightly offside to Diego blatantly punching the ball in, I remember Klose handing the ball in the net and telling the ref to disallow the goal[/QUOTE]

Why not, illegal goal, same outcome, ball in the back of the net. Did you see Sheffield Wednesday’s second goal on Friday night? I also remember Peter Crouch scoring against Trinidad & Tobago in a World Cup match while tugging at the defender’s dreadlocks but that was all good fun according to the English press. Maradona didn’t cheat at all, the ref failed.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    get off you can’t compare someone being slightly offside to Diego blatantly punching the ball in, I remember Klose handing the ball in the net and telling the ref to disallow the goal
    Why not, illegal goal, same outcome, ball in the back of the net. Did you see Sheffield Wednesday’s second goal on Friday night? I also remember Peter Crouch scoring against Trinidad & Tobago in a World Cup match while tugging at the defender’s dreadlocks but that was all good fun according to the English press. Maradona didn’t cheat at all, the ref failed.[/QUOTE]

Because imo you can be offside without actually knowing you are maradona’s goal was the ultimate shithousery but as a Welshman very funny

Surprised no one has mentioned Pele, who won 3 World Cups and had a better scoring record than Messi and Maradona, when discussing the best player in the world has seen.

For me, Maradona was the best. It's a contentious debate as to who was/is the best player and i don't think that anyone is either wrong or right. One thing that is missing from this thread is Maradona's determination and ability to make those around him become better players on the pitch and his determination to pull a team towards success, he didn't just do it with Argentina but also with Napoli. He was a genius and the best player that i've ever seen, although his Character, sheer bloody mindedness and ability to make those around him better were as instrumental during his career as his ability with the ball. He came from a background that was incredibly poor, where there wasn't enough food to eat and lived with his family in the poor neighbourhood of Villa Fiorito just outside Buenos Aries, When he was a child he fell into an open sewer and was literally sinking to the bottom, with his head just above the sewage his uncle came to his rescue and shouted down to him ' Keep your head above the shit' Maradona recalled that he took that Mantra as the basis towards everything that he did in life, it was survival at any cost.

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    Surprised no one has mentioned Pele, who won 3 World Cups and had a better scoring record than Messi and Maradona, when discussing the best player in the world has seen.
    Isn’t 90% of his goals made up

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Isn’t 90% of his goals made up
    They’re not made up, he just includes those ones he scored in the playground when he was in school! 😉

Rivelinho was my idol too. Unfortunately he came to prominence at the 1970 World Cup when I should have been revising for my O Levels. Ah well, he was worth it and looked the part to, with his Zapata moustache and ability to bend the ball like no other at that time.

Maradona best player ive seen by a distance. Its not even close.

I love Messi because he hardly ever complains or rolls around like the Ronaldo's, but for me Pele was the greatest player ever followed by George Best.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Best player ever?
    Was PELE

Just to add, maradona, was a druggie and a cheat

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I love Messi because he hardly ever complains or rolls around like the Ronaldo's, but for me Pele was the greatest player ever followed by George Best.
    Messi for me too, he just gets on with it. Despite being man marked for years or having Ramos trying to take him out etc....he’s quiet and probably the opposite of the coke and hooker fiend maradona was, a nightmare to be around by all accounts. Saw a compilation of maradonas goals years ago on you tube, I couldn’t believe how varied they were, shots, volleys, dribbles, free kicks, headers.....he was def no one trick pony.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Messi for me too, he just gets on with it. Despite being man marked for years or having Ramos trying to take him out etc....he’s quiet and probably the opposite of the coke and hooker fiend maradona was, a nightmare to be around by all accounts. Saw a compilation of maradonas goals years ago on you tube, I couldn’t believe how varied they were, shots, volleys, dribbles, free kicks, headers.....he was def no one trick pony.....
    If you wanna see a player “TAKEN OUT”, have a look at Brazil v Portugal in the 1966 World Cup !

Pele was lucky to be able to play again after that brutality!!!!

But what about PELE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    Great player.

However, his and Ronaldinho's idol was Rivelinho.

He must have been some player!!
    He used to do 'atomic' banana kicks, great player.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Was PELE

Just to add, maradona, was a druggie and a cheat
    Which probably makes him more impressive. I saw his documentary the other day - he used to play on a Sunday then do cocaine and party until Wednesday then start to detox ready for the next Sunday. He was one of the best of all time on a comedown

Imagine if he'd lived an athlete's life like Cristiano Ronaldo does now

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    If you wanna see a player “TAKEN OUT”, have a look at Brazil v Portugal in the 1966 World Cup !

Pele was lucky to be able to play again after that brutality!!!!
    English referee, many South Americans think it was an English/German conspiracy, el robo del siglo - the robbery of the century they called the World Cup, the refereeing appointments, the way the South American teams were treated, denying Portugal a home base semi against England at the last minute, the ghost goal in the final, the whole world cup was very suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    English referee, many South Americans think it was an English/German conspiracy, el robo del siglo - the robbery of the century they called the World Cup, the refereeing appointments, the way the South American teams were treated, denying Portugal a home base semi against England at the last minute, the ghost goal in the final, the whole world cup was very suspicious.

And in the interests of balance, world cup 78

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    And in the interests of balance, world cup 78
    Oh there is no balancing the English WC, some think it was the greatest biasedness ever seen and ever likely to be seen on a huge scale.

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    Oh there is no balancing the English WC, some think it was the greatest biasedness ever seen and ever likely to be seen on a huge scale.
    You'd have to be very biased to describe it as the most biased thing that will ever happen

For the record, yes I think they had lots of help winning it.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You'd have to be very biased to describe it as the most biased thing that will ever happen

For the record, yes I think they had lots of help winning it.

English refs for two Brazil group games where they got kicked and lost both games to Hungary and Portugal, Brazil were tournament favourites and England wanted them out, the English ref disallowed two Brazilian goals against Hungary, Brazil had a German ref for their first match when Pele suffered terrible treatment.

The Argentinian captain was sent off for speaking Spanish a straight red [when it was virtually impossible to be sent off] by a German ref after just half an hour against England in the Quarters, the Uruguayans had two sent off against West Germany [I think they had a couple of goals disallowed as well] when they were only 1 down by an English ref.

The South Americans that reckoned it was an English-German conspiracy, cousins always on the same side until the Great wars etc, even in the group stage the great historical enemy of the English the French was done by the English with an offside goal and a goal when a French player was down injured.

The South Americans were given training pitches without goal posts etc, Portugal were due to play England at their home base in Liverpool but the English moved the semi to Wembley at the last minute with Portugal having to catch the milk train down taking hours, no sleep - I think I read not allowed to train on the field, they were done and probably would have beaten England at Goodison with England having to travel from Wembley up to them.

Then the ghost goal in the final as a Welsh boy seeing the footage and knowing the rules of the game about the whole ball needing to be over the line for a goal to be awarded it was obvious it was not a goal, then something like 30 years later Oxbridge scientists using new technology declared it was not a goal - well all neutrals knew that anyway, the linesmen when asked about the goal on his death bed apparently said 'Stalingrad', some took that as revenge for what the Germans did in the war.

1966 must be the worst WC for controversies by a country mile.