+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 26 game season for City

26 game season for City

Take the 12 games against top 6 out and we’re left with 26 games against the other 13 teams.

Puts it into perspective.

Re: 26 game season for City

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    Take the 12 games against top 6 out and we’re left with 26 games against the other 13 teams.

No it doesn't. All the other teams in the division have to play the top six. I'd wager every team above and perhaps even those below have taken more points from those 12 games than we have.

Have you done this for the rest of the league as well?

I've just sat and gone through hundreds of bits of paper and I think I'm right in saying this. Every time you don't include matches against a particular side, then the total number of games in the season decreases by two. It's crazy! For example, if you include all our games except the ones below us in the table (that's two teams) then it leaves 34 games.

This works for every team in the top four divisions! I'm going to continue down the pyramid and see how I get on. Will report back.

Does anyone understand how the maths behind it works?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Have you done this for the rest of the league as well?
    Huddersfield and Fulham have also not taken a point off the top six yet, all of the others have managed at least a draw against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post

Its even worse than that unfortunately

Against the current top 10 we have beatan wolves and Leicester- and lost the rest.

Still got man u to play of course but otherwise it's Played 19, won 2, drawn 0, lost 17.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Its even worse than that unfortunately

Against the current top 10 we have beatan wolves and Leicester- and lost the rest.

Still got man u to play of course but otherwise it's Played 19, won 2, drawn 0, lost 17.
    Thanks for those interesting stats, so will one of the conclusions to be drawn at the end of the season be that "Warnockball" gets you results against lower half sides (our record against bottom half teams must read P 16 W 7 D 4 L 5 then), but is almost wholly unsuccessful against top half teams?

I don't know if this sort of record has been as clear cut in Neil Warnock's other Premier League seasons, but the result has always either been relegation or form that would have probably led to relegation, so you have to ask why this should be? So much of the talk all season has been that we have hugely over achieved to even be in the Premier League, so our relegation was an inevitability, but I would argue that those results against the bottom half sides say otherwise. We are more than competitive against them, but our record against the top ten has to be so much worse than most of the sides around us in the table - it's probably significant that Wolves were on their worst run of the season when they came here and Leicester were in an odd spell where they were beating top sides, but having trouble overcome strugglers at home when we beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    No it doesn't. All the other teams in the division have to play the top six. I'd wager every team above and perhaps even those below have taken more points from those 12 games than we have.
    My point was factual (and on the basis we’ll lose at OT)so we’re left with a lesser amount of games to get sufficient points. Of course it’s a 38 game season but given how far we’re behind the top 6 in terms of skill, fitness and quality (plus Watford & Everton as it turned out) it makes it doubly difficult for City when we are expected to get nothing from these games and then don’t.