+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City got most of it right against Liverpool...

City got most of it right against Liverpool...

...they had a plan and it was well executed; kept the league leaders at bay for most of the afetrnoon.

Why the hell haven't they been able to do likewise against lesser teams through the season?

Could have been fine, it seems to me

Re: City got most of it right against Liverpool...

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    ...they had a plan and it was well executed; kept the league leaders at bay for most of the afetrnoon.

Why the hell haven't they been able to do likewise against lesser teams through the season?

Yesterday showed that we have learned as the season has gone on - the odds are that we have not learned quickly enough to save us.

I honestly think the absence of Bamba has helped

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I honestly think the absence of Bamba has helped
    I agree. Given peltier the chance to show he is good enough at this level and put Bruno into centre defence. Back 4 is good now. Not as disjointed.

I'd also say that the loss of Arter helped. I love his high energy pressing but there's rarely an end result.

I think the big mistake yesterday was bringing Zohore on & playing the same way. I thought Bobbie Reid would have been a much better option to give Matic & van Dijk something different.

By the way Etheridge's kicking yesterday was appalling

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post

Would you think the same if Liverpool hadn't fluffed a couple of clear chances in the first half?

liverpool had 81% possession and only scored 2.
    not too bad .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yesterday showed that we have learned as the season has gone on - the odds are that we have not learned quickly enough to save us.
    We switched off for their first goal and their second goal was scored because of an individual error by one of our players. These are things that we have been doing all season.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    We switched off for their first goal and their second goal was scored because of an individual error by one of our players. These are things that we have been doing all season.
    We stayed in the game against a side that should have walked all over us for nearly an hour and we defended far more resolutely than we did in our home games against both Manchester clubs, Arsenal and Spurs. We have competed far better in our last two home matches than we did previously in our games with top sides and the way we won at Brighton also offered more proof of progression - conceding goals against a side who are going to end up with close to one hundred points is inevitable and to write off what we did yesterday purely because of the couple of goals we let in is unfair.

Would you think the same if Liverpool hadn't fluffed a couple of clear chances in the first half?
    Agree. I thought Liverpool missed 2-3 sitters in the first half and could easily have won the game 5-0.
    Sounds harsh I know but we constantly allow teams acres of space around the 25 yard mark.
    The better teams look for one-two’s or have excellent movement to create chances.
    Someone must move to the ball in those situations.
    I also agree with an earlier poster, we only take Niasse off for Ken. No difference in play. I thought a faster striking option might have been worth a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I'd also say that the loss of Arter helped. I love his high energy pressing but there's rarely an end result.

I think the big mistake yesterday was bringing Zohore on & playing the same way. I thought Bobbie Reid would have been a much better option to give Matic & van Dijk something different.

By the way Etheridge's kicking yesterday was appalling
    I hope we do not make the signing permanent at the end of the season

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Agree. I thought Liverpool missed 2-3 sitters in the first half and could easily have won the game 5-0.
    Sounds harsh I know but we constantly allow teams acres of space around the 25 yard mark.
    The better teams look for one-two’s or have excellent movement to create chances.
    I also agree with an earlier poster, we only take Niasse off for Ken. No difference in play. I thought a faster striking option might have been worth a go.
    I can only remember 1 in the first half, which seemed quite even.

We made a few chances ourselves in both halfs.

2nd half though , they had more than us and when they scored it was no surprise.

The penalty killed off any hope .

Overall I thought we did reasonably well.

When you look at the relative resource we need to be at the top of our game, them to be at the bottom of theirs, take any chance we get, have some luck and get at least a fair deal from the ref to get even a chance of a result.

On all of these we were just a bit out.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    The fact is, we are a million miles off in terms of quality. Players like Peltier, Niasse, Gunnarsson struggle to the basics but the one thing that's unforgivable is rolling over like we did against Spurs and United and today we didn't do that and managed to stay in the game till the penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    The fact is, we are a million miles off in terms of quality. Players like Peltier, Niasse, Gunnarsson struggle to the basics but the one thing that's unforgivable is rolling over like we did against Spurs and United and today we didn't do that and managed to stay in the game till the penalty.
    I agree. My comments were a harsh reflection on the game and overall, yesterday was not the crucial game in the run in as we were expected to get nothing. However, if we survived, I have little doubt that we would still fail to compete next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I can only remember 1 in the first half, which seemed quite even.
    You really seem to have lost the plot in recent weeks.

City worked hard yesterday and several players had decent games. Manga, in particular, was excellent. But the first half seemed quite even? Do me a favour. Liverpool was far superior in every respect and could easily have been a couple of goals in front at half-time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

City worked hard yesterday and several players had decent games. Manga, in particular, was excellent. But the first half seemed quite even? Do me a favour. Liverpool was far superior in every respect and could easily have been a couple of goals in front at half-time.
    And we could easily have been 1 up.

We also should have equalised.

Morrison was also clearly tugged but chose to carry on and head at goal than dive like Saleh.

A 2 goal victory was fair.

People talking 5 nil are talking rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    And we could easily have been 1 up.
    By my reckoning, Liverpool had three very good chances during the first half. City had one. Meanwhile, as expected and entirely understandably, Liverpool had a large majority of the possession and looked easily the better team. The first half seemed quite even? Do me a favour.

It wasnt even. We were hardly battered either.

We could have been a goal up. Man City Man U Spurs we were batterd and completely outclassed. Yesterday we defended well and at least countered and made them defend.

You may not like it but we could have gone 1 up , should have equalised and should also have had a pen.

The result though was a fair one.

We were in the game until the 80th minute with a side that cost less than most players in Liverpool's starting XI. We weren't battered and gave a good account of ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The result though was a fair one.
    I agree absolutely, just as you agree that the first half wasn't even as Lawnmower had suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We were in the game until the 80th minute with a side that cost less than most players in Liverpool's starting XI. We weren't battered and gave a good account of ourselves
    Exactly this.

Had firmino taken his easy chance, we'd probably have been roasted as it was fairly early on.

I wasn't disappointed but talk of how we could easily have been one up at halftime - no way. "Conceivably" but not easily.

(Ok, I misread the posts, they didn't say at halftime)

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Some posters seem to be suffering from outcome bias when evaluating our performance yesterday. We didn't stop Liverpool from creating goalscoring opportunities in the first half and only their inability to finish off those chances kept us in the game.

Some posters seem to be suffering from outcome bias when evaluating our performance yesterday. We didn't stop Liverpool from creating goalscoring opportunities in the first half and only their inability to finish off those chances kept us in the game.
    Can't we give some credit to our defensive play that meant that one chance was offside, another chance went over the bar when 9/10 times it goes into the back of the net? Liverpool's world class strikers aren't prone to missing so we must have done something right in that first half to make it more difficult than normal.

Been very impressed with Cardiff this season, since turn of the year been in most games, just not had a goal scorer to win those close games, would not be relegated if Cardiff had someone like mitrovic up front, he’s like deeney