+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Klopp: Atkinson told me he would have disallowed Morrison’s header anyway

Klopp: Atkinson told me he would have disallowed Morrison’s header anyway

The penalty was soft and Salah threw himself to the floor dramatically and in all likelihood that wouldn’t have been given to us at the other end but Morrison was all over him and gave the ref every reason to award the penalty.

What’s more shocking is the statement from Klopp that Atkinson told him after the game that even if Morrison had scored with the header in front of the open goal he would have disallowed it for a foul on the goalkeeper. That’s an incredible statement, in the replay Allison gets nowhere near the ball and is not impeded at all by Gunnarsson. I think Neil would have exploded if that had been disallowed- and then we would have had another strong example of bias by the refs to the top sides

Re: Klopp: Atkinson told me he would have disallowed Morrison’s header anyway

So the Referee allowed the game to go on even though there was an alleged foul on the keeper? He thought that he would wait and see if Morrison could put the ball into the net before he blew up, or maybe he was playing an advantage to Liverpool while they were under pressure. If there had been a foul he'd have blown for it. Sounds like Klopp is talking shit.

So why didn't he give a free-kick? It's surely either a foul or not a foul, not a foul if the consequence is significant. Unless they've been told not to make a decision if it slows the game down and doesn't' need to be made? At this point I think refs need to have time and space to explain their job and decisions because managers too easily blame them and pundits often don't know the rules.

Nah Klopps probably telling the truth. Hed probably have disallowed it.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    So why didn't he give a free-kick? It's surely either a foul or not a foul, not a foul if the consequence is significant. Unless they've been told not to make a decision if it slows the game down and doesn't' need to be made? At this point I think refs need to have time and space to explain their job and decisions because managers too easily blame them and pundits often don't know the rules.
    And in that position. Could you imagine if the ref didn't give the free kick and there was a second phase of play where we had scored? Sounds like bollocks to me as there's only a certain amount of time where the ref can bring the ball back for the original free kick-Does that rule still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    And in that position. Could you imagine if the ref didn't give the free kick and there was a second phase of play where we had scored? Sounds like bollocks to me as there's only a certain amount of time where the ref can bring the ball back for the original free kick-Does that rule still exist?
    I guess maybe if Morrison made a proper contact he'd have blown

Watching again on MOTD2 , Atkinson appears to go to blow but then signals goal kick because it didn’t make a difference, had it gone in it looks like he would have blown against Gunnar

Just another example that the big clubs will get the decisions, VAR will be a right mess next season

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Watching again on MOTD2 , Atkinson appears to go to blow but then signals goal kick because it didn’t make a difference, had it gone in it looks like he would have blown against Gunnar
    I noticed this at the time of the incident.

Yes Atkinson should have blown for a free kick but didn't have a great deal of time. The way he was gesturing whilst talking to some of the players after pointing for a goal kick showed that something was amiss.

Wonder if we might have nicked a late equaliser if Morrison handled bundled the acrobat down, you could see that pen coming after Morrison’s bad clearance then put himself back under pressure.....

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I guess maybe if Morrison made a proper contact he'd have blown
    You could be right-Did the ball go out of play during the same phase of play? if so that could be it-Who Knows

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Wonder if we might have nicked a late equaliser if Morrison handled bundled the acrobat down, you could see that pen coming after Morrison’s bad clearance then put himself back under pressure.....
    In fairness to Morrison (and the rest of the team) they must have been out on their feet by the time the penalty was given, it certainly looked like tired defending. Although not that quick, Liverpool moved the ball constantly, takes so much out of players when all they're doing is chasing the ball and reacting, couldn't really fault anyone yesterday although the one thing i don't like is Warnocks refusal to allow the striker the option of support from midfield players, Niasse isn't the best, but what is he supposed to do when he's got three defenders around him with his back to goal and no support, he struggles with none. I get where Warnock is coming from as it would probably leave even more space for good teams to exploit, although they do that eventually anyway. Warnock places the emphasise on wingers, not midfielders, it doesn't really work at this level if we're willing to concede that space between their defence and ours, we got away with it in the championship.

Lads deserve a lot of credit for their effort yesterday. To be chasing that lot, in that heat, for 90 minutes must have been exhausting. Physically and mentally.

You could tell how tired we were as the 2nd half went on as the rare times we pinched the ball back we sloppily gave it back straight away. However, it would be harsh to be too critical of this as everyone to a man put a shift in.

You got to hand it to Liverpool as well, they really work hard to get the ball back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    So the Referee allowed the game to go on even though there was an alleged foul on the keeper? He thought that he would wait and see if Morrison could put the ball into the net before he blew up, or maybe he was playing an advantage to Liverpool while they were under pressure. If there had been a foul he'd have blown for it. Sounds like Klopp is talking shit.
    Klopp talks an awful lot of shit these days.
    Rapidly going off him

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Just another example that the big clubs will get the decisions, VAR will be a right mess next season
    Agree. I’m worried it will make things even worse for the smaller clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    You only need to look at some of real Madrid’s var decisions this season to know it can still favour the big boys

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    You only need to look at some of real Madrid’s var decisions this season to know it can still favour the big boys

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    What you laughing for I’m serious

They'll find fouls for the bigger clubs, and it should stop absolute howlers (like Chelsea). I'm dead against it regardless of that. I'm fine with someone in a booth watching it live and saying the Chelsea one was a mile offside, rule it out. Any more than that, it'll descend into a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Lads deserve a lot of credit for their effort yesterday. To be chasing that lot, in that heat, for 90 minutes must have been exhausting. Physically and mentally.
    They were brilliant, especially in the first half. We can't ask for more, they gave it everything they had and deservedly got clapped and cheered off.

Klopp talks an awful lot of shit these days.
    Rapidly going off him
    He's a tosser. Some of the things he's whined about this season include:
    - the wind
    - the ref not spotting an offside so Liverpool scored - yes, he complained the ref gave them a goal so he was biased against them
    - the rain
    - the length of the grass
    - the dryness of the grass
    - opposition fans booing or jeering their players

bearing in mind they've lost one game, it's pretty special.

Did Klopp say whether this was before or after the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's a tosser. Some of the things he's whined about this season include:
    - the wind
    - the ref not spotting an offside so Liverpool scored - yes, he complained the ref gave them a goal so he was biased against them
    - the rain
    - the length of the grass
    - the dryness of the grass
    - opposition fans booing or jeering their players

bearing in mind they've lost one game, it's pretty special.
    You missed out
    fans cheering when Liverpool miss a shot against their team.

As if this only happens when his team are playing.

Agreed I am sick and tired of being robbed by referees and linesman this season, there has been a bias against us no doubt about it in my mind!!