+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: North south divide of english clubs and their english identity

North south divide of english clubs and their english identity

Its very noticeable this season the divide between them in terms of their engerlish identity.

Clubs like everton and man united did not sing anything about being english. Nothing. Not even as an open goal wind up to us.

However get below birmingham and GSTQ is belted out and the occasional swing low as well.

I much prefer the northern clubs- and my gut says they dont mind us.

Has it always been that way?

Re: North south divide of english clubs and their english identity

Think you'd better make that a north east / north west thing as well, I don't think the Yorkshire clubs fall into your analysis

People in the North are Mancs, Scousers, Geordies, Yorkshiremen etc first, English second. Interestingly (or perhaps not) most people in Yorkshire say they're from Yorkshire, as opposed to a particular city like Mancs, Scousers would etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Its very noticeable this season the divide between them in terms of their engerlish identity.

Clubs like everton and man united did not sing anything about being english. Nothing. Not even as an open goal wind up to us.

However get below birmingham and GSTQ is belted out and the occasional swing low as well.

I tend to measure it by what team they support at international level.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Think you'd better make that a north east / north west thing as well, I don't think the Yorkshire clubs fall into your analysis
    I had a colleague back in the day from Yorkshire, who always said England is just a patch of land connecting Yorkshire to Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post

Teams like Man United and Liverpool
    Have always had a massive Irish fan base from their cities so I guess (maybe wrongly) that that’s why they don’t do the Enger-Land hing.

As one of the of the other posters say I wouldn’t class Leeds in that as they’ve had a history of attracting the more nationalist types.

But on a whole I prefer Northern Clubs too.

Wouldn't expect any pro England songs from the away end today......

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I had a colleague back in the day from Yorkshire, who always said England is just a patch of land connecting Yorkshire to Wales
    If he was from Barnsley, Sheffield or South Yorkshire , he would have come from The People’s Republic of South Yorkshire

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    If he was from Barnsley, Sheffield or South Yorkshire , he would have come from The People’s Republic of South Yorkshire
    Sadly no more.

Making the anti-English chants all the more embrassing today. That, and the fact we didn't have a single Welsh player in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Making the anti-English chants all the more embrassing today. That, and the fact we didn't have a single Welsh player in the team.
    Yep as predicted- not a single pro England chant from the away end. They even applauded men of Harlech pre game

And more than half of the players in our squad are English.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    And more than half of the players in our squad are English.
    I wish the club would attempt to communicate with fans and do something about it. It makes me cringe. I don't know what the players think about it. Maybe it doesn't bother them, but they can't be too impressed by it.

I wish the club would attempt to communicate with fans and do something about it. It makes me cringe. I don't know what the players think about it. Maybe it doesn't bother them, but they can't be too impressed by it.
    I doubt they care, and we get Engerlund Engerlund Engerlund sang at us every week...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I doubt they care, and we get Engerlund Engerlund Engerlund sang at us every week...
    No, we don't. That's the point of this thread.