Following on from the ‘identity’ thread and the futility of elite level football worldwide today

I never thought I’d say it, but the North Americans have probably got it right, and I don’t think football at club level can become exciting for everyone again until the playing field gets levelled somehow.

I think elements of the North American system could work for football, particularly a salary cap, but the challenges are massive. Football is global at the elite level whereas the US sports are continental. However the fan bases are massive in the US and success is cyclical because of the way the sports are set up. As a consequence the gap between first and last is much narrower and most fans start each season with the impossible ‘Leicester’ dream very much a possibility

Even MLS operates a draft system for North American players and each team is allowed (I think) 3 designated players

European or Global Leagues are possible I guess, and you could introduce a draft system if that were the case as well as a salary cap.

The more likely reality is that money wins and as Cardiff fans we’re destined for and accepting of the fact that success is being the best of the rest.... Great!