+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What’s the answer for the future of football?

What’s the answer for the future of football?

Following on from the ‘identity’ thread and the futility of elite level football worldwide today

I never thought I’d say it, but the North Americans have probably got it right, and I don’t think football at club level can become exciting for everyone again until the playing field gets levelled somehow.

I think elements of the North American system could work for football, particularly a salary cap, but the challenges are massive. Football is global at the elite level whereas the US sports are continental. However the fan bases are massive in the US and success is cyclical because of the way the sports are set up. As a consequence the gap between first and last is much narrower and most fans start each season with the impossible ‘Leicester’ dream very much a possibility

Even MLS operates a draft system for North American players and each team is allowed (I think) 3 designated players

European or Global Leagues are possible I guess, and you could introduce a draft system if that were the case as well as a salary cap.

The more likely reality is that money wins and as Cardiff fans we’re destined for and accepting of the fact that success is being the best of the rest.... Great!

Re: What’s the answer for the future of football?

always brings out a response to these type of questions but for me our only hope is for club football is to go global . it's come to the stage now where the top clubs in europe compete against each other in a league format and then some sort of promotion to a world club league in the long run

in the short term perhaps restructuring the football league and prem league .Maybe split it into 2 prem leagues of say 15 clubs and restructure below the pyramid beneath that

don't think anyone knows the best way forward but i think everyone agrees something needs to be done on the way top level football is going or should i say gone !

as well as restructuring top flight football I think youth and football academies need an overhaul too in this country but i,ve been saying that for years !!

I love nfl and I think they have an almost perfect setup with the draft. Cleveland were the worst team in the league over the last few seasons but they are looking strong for the coming season.

Unfortunately it can't transfer to soccer. The college game is the only real source of nfl players. With a single point of entry, the draft is hugely important for teams. That doesn't work in soccer as there is no equivalent feeder league - clubs have their own youth teams so players become attached to clubs at a young age in a way which is forbidden in the nfl. But even if somehow the UK could bring in a youth league detached from professional football clubs and offer a draft system from that, clubs would presumably still be free to sign players from abroad as well, thus eliminating the importance of the draft.

Our leagues are also fluid-theirs are not. So sadly, I just don't see a draft system being a reality in soccer.

Salary capping however is possible and can't come in soon enough imo.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Following on from the ‘identity’ thread and the futility of elite level football worldwide today

I never thought I’d say it, but the North Americans have probably got it right, and I don’t think football at club level can become exciting for everyone again until the playing field gets levelled somehow.

I think elements of the North American system could work for football, particularly a salary cap, but the challenges are massive. Football is global at the elite level whereas the US sports are continental. However the fan bases are massive in the US and success is cyclical because of the way the sports are set up. As a consequence the gap between first and last is much narrower and most fans start each season with the impossible ‘Leicester’ dream very much a possibility

Even MLS operates a draft system for North American players and each team is allowed (I think) 3 designated players

European or Global Leagues are possible I guess, and you could introduce a draft system if that were the case as well as a salary cap.

The more likely reality is that money wins and as Cardiff fans we’re destined for and accepting of the fact that success is being the best of the rest.... Great!
    Good shout. I'm a baseball fan - no particular team. They run it to ensure parity(equality of status and pay) through a payroll cap among other measures, which you mentioned.

A few years ago I compared the results of the Premier League with that of the World Series, the highest competition. At that time, 18 years after the Prem started, only 4 clubs had won the Prem, one of them only once and one 11 times. For the same period 13 different teams had won the WS and none had won it more than three times.

They just don't think about sport the way we do. World football is open to unrestricted market forces, even more so than normal business, which is regulated by laws against monopoly etc. Financial Fair Play is a weak level of control though it may get stronger.

They have strong-armed UEFA into giving them their European Super League, starting in 2024 I think. There'll be 4 pools of 8 instead of 8 pools of 4, and the top 6 in the pool will be guaranteed a place in a pool for the next year.

Money talks, eh?

Didn't know football was in trouble. What is the basis of this post? Low crowds across countries? Not enough TV money? Not enough good players? Not entertaining enough as a sport? Only thing I'm concerned about is development of players, but thats already up for debate in another thread..

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    Didn't know football was in trouble. What is the basis of this post? Low crowds across countries? Not enough TV money? Not enough good players? Not entertaining enough as a sport? Only thing I'm concerned about is development of players, but thats already up for debate in another thread..
    None of the above. Perhaps I upset you with my useless Ole post .... sorry about that..

At its heart I guess my post was about the fact that for most club football fans winning the ultimate prize is an impossibility and my contention is that money is at the heart of it. To be fair the 3 other replies got the flavour of it quite readily.

It's curious that the USA has the sporting system that most resembles communism/egalitarianism......

None of the above. Perhaps I upset you with my useless Ole post .... sorry about that..

At its heart I guess my post was about the fact that for most club football fans winning the ultimate prize is an impossibility and my contention is that money is at the heart of it. To be fair the 3 other replies got the flavour of it quite readily.
    I didn't notice your useless post about Ole.

Everything is possible, its just how you go about it. And I think there are much bigger counterparts going on in Europe. Mostly in portugal, Germany, the Netherlands and so on producing players on their own, and not like the American draft system who mostly develop players through schools. Money is the drive force there to, isn't it? But of course, if you look at the championship / premiere league race, its spun some what out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    Aye...its perfect as it is.Any team in the prem has a shout at winning it. FIFA is a league of gentlemen.There's no bias or cheating.
    :D

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Aye...its perfect as it is.Any team in the prem has a shout at winning it. FIFA is a league of gentlemen.There's no bias or cheating.
    :D
    So FIFA is in trouble? They are as corrupt and biased as any organization in every sport, are they not? It’s not a thread about “a perfect world”, now is it? 🤔 But yes. Anyone is in a shout of winning everything. Of course they are. Trouble is everyone wants it now or tomorrow.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the football pyramid system and transfer system in this country. The problem is that owners, players and most fans want success immediately nowadays, are not prepared to be patient and cant accept the fact that it takes 20 years minimum to build a successful Premier League team/club.

Does everyone think that clubs like Spurs, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea have always been top level clubs ? Look back in the record books over the last 50+ years - all four of these clubs have been in financial difficulties, relegated and in lower divisions in this time. Leicester proved what was possible just a couple of seasons ago.

Take away the transfer system and promotion/relegation issues, as has been suggested and everything becomes soulless and pointless. Why cant we just enjoy our clubs efforts to become established and compete at the top table, instead of constantly moaning about it all the time and putting forward ways of 'improving' the system. The English League pyramid system is one of the most envied and popular in the world. A few years ago people were moaning that it was dominated by two teams. Now its a top six. Soon it will be a top eight as mid table teams improve. It is becoming much more competitive further down and will continue to develop in this way in the coming years. Just be patient and fiddle with it all at our peril.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    😂😂👏👏👏 Hitch guide.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the football pyramid system and transfer system in this country. The problem is that owners, players and most fans want success immediately nowadays, are not prepared to be patient and cant accept the fact that it takes 20 years minimum to build a successful Premier League team/club.

Does everyone think that clubs like Spurs, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea have always been top level clubs ? Look back in the record books over the last 50+ years - all four of these clubs have been in financial difficulties, relegated and in lower divisions in this time. Leicester proved what was possible just a couple of seasons ago.

Take away the transfer system and promotion/relegation issues, as has been suggested and everything becomes soulless and pointless. Why cant we just enjoy our clubs efforts to become established and compete at the top table, instead of constantly moaning about it all the time and putting forward ways of 'improving' the system. The English League pyramid system is one of the most envied and popular in the world. A few years ago people were moaning that it was dominated by two teams. Now its a top six. Soon it will be a top eight as mid table teams improve. It is becoming much more competitive further down and will continue to develop in this way in the coming years. Just be patient and fiddle with it all at our peril.
    Everyone has a pyramid system. Why should the English one be better than anyone else's?

Nobody wants to take away pro-rel but it's not true to say that everything would be pointless without it. The Americans don't use it, instead they play for trophies and pride: their sports generate huge profits and enjoy global support.

You forget that there is a glass ceiling at 6th place: the points difference between 6th and 7th is currently 14! And when the new Champions League format starts, the top 6 in each of the pools will be guaranteed a place in the pools for the following year. Just how do clubs like ours break into that elite? Borrowing money they can't pay back? Going bankrupt?

Like it or not, there will be an elite Euro Superleague with little or no pro-rel. That's the future of football.

The MLS is slowly moving away from the draft system they use, with academies and scouting networks slowly taking over from the cultural norm of US pro sports teams just going straight to Universities. It is also conceded by American analysts that their system isn't efficient enough in multiple areas, and that a European system is needed in the states for football to take off properly. I don't think the US system is at all what should be looked at.

At its heart I guess my post was about the fact that for most club football fans winning the ultimate prize is an impossibility.....
    And this is a new development?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    And this is a new development?
    I agree. In the 70s Leeds, 80s Liverpool, 90s United. It's always been the same.

When I was younger I was more interested in the more tribal aspects of supporting City than the actual football. Whether this was cos the football was so bad I never had a choice or the exuberance of youth I dont know.

As I've got older and grown up a little and football has become more sanitised (whether good, bad or both) I feel the need to see good football and footballers more. My criteria for watching football these days is to see players who can actually do things I couldn't do apart from just run about. I'm also interested in the tactical battles etc and whilst seeing City qualify for Europe or something would be a dream, I enjoy football for the game itself.

Best of the rest?

Cardiff City's highest league ranking since the end of the Second World War was 10th in 1953/54 - 65 years ago.

Considering the Bluebirds haven't been the best of the rest since 1924, I reckon finishing Premier League runners-up would be acceptable to most City fans.