+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Another byproduct of tonight’s result

Another byproduct of tonight’s result

Makes it even more likely that Man U will not be able to finish 4th, so might help us slightly.

Need Man City to beat them tomorrow.

Hopefully Arsenal to win too- as Brighton have to go there last but 1 game

Saturday is absolutely massive now.

Also next week our game v Palace is a day before Brighton’s at Arsenal.

Wins in either of those games will put the pressure on.

Re: Another byproduct of tonight’s result

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Makes it even more likely that Man U will not be able to finish 4th, so might help us slightly.

Need Man City to beat them tomorrow.

Hopefully Arsenal to win too- as Brighton have to go there last but 1 game

Saturday is absolutely massive now.

Also next week our game v Palace is a day before Brighton’s at Arsenal.

Wins in either of those games will put the pressure on.
    We're going to have to beat Fulham I think, heap the pressure on Brighton. They're going to have to try and win that game if we win, as that's the last realistic shot they'll get points.

Such fun

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We're going to have to beat Fulham I think, heap the pressure on Brighton. They're going to have to try and win that game if we win, as that's the last realistic shot they'll get points.
    Can't see Arsenal breaking them down especially without Rambo.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    We might be ahead of them by the time they play Arsenal. They're going to have to assume we'll beat Palace if we beat Fulham and they can't rely on scraping a point like they've tried the last two games.

I’m pretty confident BHA will not get many points from their remaining games. Maybe only one more point from the Newcastle game.

I think the tough part will be us getting the six points we’ll probably need. If we need 7 points I think it’ll be a huge ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    This is the side that shipped 5 against Bournemouth, and 2 against us. I think Arsenal will be able to nick a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    This is the side that shipped 5 against Bournemouth, and 2 against us. I think Arsenal will be able to nick a goal.
    Yes, the difference being that against us they actually tried to attack ..... Last night they just kept 11 men behind the ball ... They weren't even interested in scoring ....... Only after they conceded did they try and push forward .... NEGATIVE AS FCUK

Quote Originally Posted by SABlue View Post
    Yes, the difference being that against us they actually tried to attack ..... Last night they just kept 11 men behind the ball ... They weren't even interested in scoring ....... Only after they conceded did they try and push forward .... NEGATIVE AS FCUK
    That's because realistically 1 point for them will keep them up, their best chance of that is to just park the bus and get a 0-0.
    As it stands we need 4 points (a win and a draw) to go above them, if they get 1 more point that means we need to win 2 of our last 3 games to go above them, that's a tough ask and mounts the pressure on us. Yes it's negative, but it's all about money now, not entertainment.

I know some have been disappointed this season for whatever reason. But looking at the start of the season I'd have been more than happy with us having a chance at survival with 3 matches left.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I know some have been disappointed this season for whatever reason. But looking at the start of the season I'd have been more than happy with us having a chance at survival with 3 matches left.
    Well said.
    Many had us written off last August - down by Xmas, even.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Well said.
    Many had us written off last August - down by Xmas, even.
    Everyone loves to call things far too early. Even in a league as predictable as the the epl, there are lots of erratic results. According to many we were relegated at the start of the season; and I'm pretty sure I've seen people saying 'that's us done' after most of our defeats in the last few months, plus any other results that go against us. In recent weeks even, the only teams we are able to catch have been Burnley, Southampton and now Brighton.

we will likely be relegated, but it is far from certain now and it was absolutely not the case after the Huddersfield, Watford, Everton, Chelsea or Burnley matches. I understand why people thought our season was over after each of those games, but it was not and it looks likely that if we do go down, it will happen only on the last day of the season. That will still be a big disappointment (after all we were a very good team last season) but right now, we are still very much in the fight.

We still have a good chance of staying up, I would say about 40%, as above who knows what will happen even if Brighton lose and we win, we could still lose the remaining games?

We will just have to take every game as it comes and see what happens?

Arsenal will probably rest players before the Europa games...think if they don't win tonight they'll give up on 4th place ..Come on the Gunners..beat the Wankies

palace at home is more difficult than Fulham. Just look at Palace’s away record plus they’ll get a penalty NQAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    palace at home is more difficult than Fulham. Just look at Palace’s away record plus they’ll get a penalty NQAT.
    If Palace turn up eager and wanting to play, we'll probably lose. They need to be made to think "we don't fancy this too much and it's not the end of the world if we lose" and the crowd can play a part in making that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If Palace turn up eager and wanting to play, we'll probably lose. They need to be made to think "we don't fancy this too much and it's not the end of the world if we lose" and the crowd can play a part in making that happen.
    Their fans (Palace's) wouldn't cry if they lost to us and saw their rivals Brighton get relegated.

I disagree. Need United to best City so City have to go to Brighton to get a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Their fans (Palace's) wouldn't cry if they lost to us and saw their rivals Brighton get relegated.
    Yes, that's a fair point - that's where I'd like to hope the it's not the end of the world if we lose bit might apply.

Echoes maybe of that magic Tony Villars moment back in the early 70's

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    Echoes maybe of that magic Tony Villars moment back in the early 70's
    All it did was put off a season of execution though, as we went down the next season anyway. Still, it lead to one of my favourite ever teams, the City team of 75/76. As always in those days, we failed to build on the momentum though

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    All it did was put off a season of execution though, as we went down the next season anyway. Still, it lead to one of my favourite ever teams, the City team of 75/76. As always in those days, we failed to build on the momentum though
    Yes that was the season Man U stormed the division but as you say the next season was a good one.

City seemed to be a lot of relegation fights then. Surviving on the final day versus Carlisle in 1977 was a very nervy afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    I disagree. Need United to best City so City have to go to Brighton to get a result.
    Man City will need and want a good result at Brighton regardless of how they get on tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Absolutely.