+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would city staying up be the clubs greatest ever achievement?

Would city staying up be the clubs greatest ever achievement?

Would certainly be up there i think?

Re: Would city staying up be the clubs greatest ever achievement?

Yes.

I suppose winning the FA Cup would be the greatest, a time ago though I know !!!

It would be a good one, as would winning promotion last season from the position we were in the season before?

We won the FA Cup in 1927 - that is our greatest achievement

Trying not to get relegated is not exactly an achievement - its just good for the finances - I couldn't give a monkeys what league we play in.

Of course it's the fa cup win.

It would be an amazing achievement but it wouldn't go on our list of honours. 1927 for me

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    We won the FA Cup in 1927 - that is our greatest achievement

Trying not to get relegated is not exactly an achievement - its just good for the finances - I couldn't give a monkeys what league we play in.
    Exactly this. The team will have done very well to stay up, but it's not going to go down as one of the greatest seasons ever. If anything, I would say that last season's promotion was more impressive - I think getting out of the championship is harder than avoiding relegation from the prem.

Although I don't really give a monkey's about the FA cup win either. Being a losing finalist in the two domestic major competitions is hardly a recommendation.... I'll stick with promotion to the premier league last season. The Malky one doesn't count, and while the lower divisions promotions were amazing (1992/93 in particular) it is fair to say that promotion from the Championship is the greater achievement.

Warnock’s greatest achievement maybe if he thinks so, not ours.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Warnock’s greatest achievement maybe if he thinks so, not ours.
    Considering the club has spent about £1.75 I think it'll be a massive achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Considering the club has spent about £1.75 I think it'll be a massive achievement.
    Yes but not one to go down in the history books isit?

Honours
    1927 FA Cup
    2019 Avoided relegation

Why not? The club has been in turmoil for years and remaining in the Prem would seem like defiance to the negative factors that have contributed to the club's woes, even to blatantly bad decisions which have gone against us on the pitch this season.

In regards to winning the FA Cup - Although it's a nice bit of history, I think it might be time for it to be just that; a piece of history.

It was 92 years ago, I'd be amazed if anyone is still around to remember it and the rules of the game have changed so much since, that the team of the day would be completely out of sorts if they were the same age now as they were then.

While we're at it, lets also stop singing "We're the greatest team in Football". Instead we can sing "We're doing quite well by not having been confirmed as relegated" The tune is yet to be decided. Answers on a post card.

I should have said league achievement. Not fair to compare a league season to a cup run.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    If you look at our accounts we spent over 35m on players in the summer (includes loans signing on fees), over 23m on bonus payments to staff for gaining promotion, 20m in January window although we haven’t yet paid for Sala and improved contracts for all staff as we’re in the Premier League! So I reckon we have spent around 90m in an attempt to stay in this League not £1.75?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Yes, if you look at the facts we spent 28 million or whatever but they don’t really play so we are playing last years team.....a miracle part 2 awaits

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    If you look at our accounts we spent over 35m on players in the summer (includes loans signing on fees), over 23m on bonus payments to staff for gaining promotion, 20m in January window although we haven’t yet paid for Sala and improved contracts for all staff as we’re in the Premier League! So I reckon we have spent around 90m in an attempt to stay in this League not £1.75?
    Judging by our sell out crowds, live games = extra sky cash, 100 million in the bank easily for vinnie.....Murphy and Reid will be be worth it whatever league we end up in.....

Hard to say. In 1925 we made the FA Cup final of course so would that suggest we were one of the best sides at the time or can we say that the repeated success makes it an even greater achievement? Considering the off-the-field distractions this year, and that we started as favourites to finish dead last, then staying up would be a heroic achievement but I wouldn't say it would be our greatest. It doesn't really fit into an Allez Allez Allez song lyric.

Would be a huge against the odds achievement and wrapped up with lasts years astonishing automatic promotion ,one might argue it could be up there , however reaching the 67/68 European Cup Winners Semi is quite an achievement ?

Still having a club after Merrett, Dewey, Goldstone, Terlezki, Clemo, Kumar, Hammam, Ridsdale etc etc is an achievement in itself🤪🤪

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Still having a club after Merrett, Dewey, Goldstone, Terlezki, Clemo, Kumar, Hammam, Ridsdale etc etc is an achievement in itself🤪🤪
    I think Risdale , sought of opened up some doors of opportunity , that has lead us to this point .🤑

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Is this a serious question?

How about winning promotion to the top flight in 1920/21 during the club's first season in the Football League? Or finishing fourth in the First Division in 1921/22? Or finishing runners-up in the First Division in 1923/24? Or finishing runners-up in the FA Cup in 1925? Or winning the FA Cup in 1927? Or reaching the semi-finals of the European Cup Winners Cup in 1968? Or beating Real Madrid in the European Cup Winners Cup while a Second Division side in 1971? Or finishing runners-up in the FA Cup as a Championship club in 2007?

Personally, I reckon those achievements trump avoiding relegation from the Premier League after being promoted from the Championship - something the likes of Swansea City, Hull City, QPR, Bournemouth, Burnley, Brighton and Huddersfield have all managed in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

How about winning promotion to the top flight in 1920/21 during the club's first season in the Football League? Or finishing fourth in the First Division in 1921/22? Or finishing runners-up in the First Division in 1923/24? Or finishing runners-up in the FA Cup in 1925? Or winning the FA Cup in 1927? Or reaching the semi-finals of the European Cup Winners Cup in 1968? Or beating Real Madrid in the European Cup Winners Cup while a Second Division side in 1971? Or finishing runners-up in the FA Cup as a Championship club in 2007?

Personally, I reckon those achievements trump avoiding relegation from the Premier League after being promoted from the Championship - something the likes of Swansea City, Hull City, QPR, Bournemouth, Burnley, Brighton and Huddersfield have all managed in recent years.
    City 5 Plymouth 4-Milk Cup 1986 i believe. 4-1 down at half time. League Cup, sponsered by the 'Milk Marketing Board' Proper football!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Still having a club after Merrett, Dewey, Goldstone, Terlezki, Clemo, Kumar, Hammam, Ridsdale etc etc is an achievement in itself����
    I actually saw Clemo crying with worry at the club when i was a kid-true story-Pashun!

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

You missed winning the Community Shield in 1927 I think.
    Or were we runners-up in that?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    You missed winning the Community Shield in 1927 I think.
    Or were we runners-up in that?
    Beat Corinthians at Stamford Bridge (Charity Shield, it was then)

International

Thought so!